Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to share pics of their bathroom?

Posted by kfhl (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 16:59

We are down to the wire on our tile selections and I am having a really hard time with the bathrooms. I know that they are hard to photograph and that is probably why there is very little on the bathroom forum. I have tons of magazines, but it seems like everything recent that is not super contemporary is white marble. I love white marble and dream of 2" carrar hex floors, but I don't love the idea of maintaining it - especially in the kids' baths. I know people put marble floors in showers etc. all the time, but every pro I have talked to has warned against it.

I remember seeing some great bathrooms here in the "It's September ..." type threads, but I did not clip them and I am having a hard time finding them now. So ... if anyone is willing to share pics of their bathroom - all types - master baths, kids baths, powder rooms, I would love to see them!!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to share pics of their bathroom?

Here are ours. We spent a lot of time on the bathrooms in our house.

Jack & Jill- this sink/counters are concrete. The tile is marble-look tile because we didn't want the maintenance of marble since this is a guest bath and in the unlikely event that we decide we do want kids, this would be the bathroom they'd have off their rooms:
sink w_ mural in back 2

wave sink

glass tile mural

concrete wave sink

Upstairs guest bath. Travertine tiles w/ accent tile from Stone Impressions:
tile mural

guest bath

Countertop and sink are Indian Green marble
vessel sink

master bath:
232323232%7Ffp63597%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D3434%3A2%3C495345nu0mrj

2012-09-05 17.41.08

bathroom

Downstairs powder room is also concrete. It is hard to photograph because it is a dark room. It is modeled after this picture:
zen powder rm

Here's how ours turned out- hard to photograph, like I said, but very much like the pic above
2012-09-04 16.12.56

There are more pics on my blog at http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com

o

Here are ours--very reasonably priced tile from Florida Tile @ $2sq ft on special about a year ago:

Master Shower-FL Tile's Renaissance pattern in Grigio with 3x6s, 10x13s & 2x10 gold sistene listellos on the walls, 12x12 sheet of 2x2 mosaic on the floor bordered by 3x10 cuts of the wall tile with Pearl grout.
FlushGlazedDoors017FlushGlazedDoors014-1

Closeup of tile floor at transition to bedroom--FL Tile Las Olas pattern in Sand Dollar 19x19 set on the diagonal with 2x10 Renaissance gold sistene listellos for transition strip & Pearl grout:
Photobucket

Kids' Bath using FL Tile Pristine 9x18 in Alabaster set in a brick pattern with Pearl gorut:
Photobucket

Hope this helps!

o

Thanks so much for sharing! I really appreciate your taking the time to do it.

Beagles - I really enjoy seeing all of the fun, creative details and the incredible custom storage in your home. It is truly one-of-a-kind. I have never seen your powder room before - wow! I am exhausted just thinking about how many design decisions you had to make in creating your home, but it sure looks like it was worth it.

mydreamhome - I absolutely love your master shower. It is a great example of the way different sizes and orientation of tile can create interest. That is something I hope we can do as well. I had never seen the close up of the transiton before - it gives a much better picture of the gold listellos - great detail.

o

Beagles...love your tub doors...where did you get them? HOW do you keep them so clean? Thanks! :)

o

melaska we had them done by a local glass company, the kind that does auto glass work and home glass work. They did all of the shower/tub doors in our house. They are all starfire glass so now green tint.

We keep them clean by having a housekeeper 3x a week, probably not the answer you were looking for, sorry!

o

Thanks, beagle...not sure I could get a local glass company here since there IS no glass company in this little ol' remote town. Closest big city is Anchorage. And, you are right - the only housekeeper I see around here is me ;)

Any suggestions on getting pre-made shower doors of high quality?

Your house is amazing and I swoon every time I see a photo. Keep posting - I love to swoon ;)

o

melaska there must be some auto glass place somewhere- what do people do if they break their windows :) I would do a little google search at least.

Actually, before I went local, I got price quotes from a glass shower door company online, they ended up being a little more expensive when factoring in shipping but not much more. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but a google search might help.

If you are looking for pre-made ones, here are a few options of varying prices:
http://www.linea-aqua.com/shop/LineaAqua-Baja-40-x-55-Frameless-Bath-Tub-Enclosure-Bath-Tub-Glass-Screen-with-2-Panel-Folding-Swing-Door-pr-17047.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/DreamLine-Infinity-Plus-58x60-inch-Clear-Glass-Bathtub-Door/5963800/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D

http://www.qualitybath.com/dreamline-shdr-3348588-aqua-aqua-lux-tub-door-clear-glass-product-98926.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=DreamLine&utm_term=98926&utm_content=shower+doors&gclid=CL6W68Ht1LICFcV9Ogod2HgAag

Hope that helps.

I think I've posted pretty much every picture of my house at some point by now :) If not, if you haven't seen it, there are pictures of everything on my blog: http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com

o

beagles...I did a Google search. Funny...it brings up a local business with an address I've never heard of. We don't have a Clark street!

We get lots of roving glass repair trucks here since we are so remote. I think the local numbers are a scheduling service most likely.

I'll have to ask our auto mechanic...he'd know. That's life in a crazy remote Alaskan town! ;)

o

LOL, good luck melaska!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here