Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreambuilder_gw

hardi plank siding vs. vinyl

dreambuilder
11 years ago

I do not like the look of hardi plank siding. I am seeing that almost all new higher end homes are using that in our part of the country. I even prefer metal siding over hardi plank but that seems to have fallen completely out of favor. Why are people not using vinyl siding anymore?

Comments (6)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Vinyl in years past was associated with cheap tract homes. I know some of the new vinyl is very nice and the one that looks like real cedar shingles actually cost more than hardi.

Another thing to consider is that you cannot paint vinyl so you have to use manufacturer colors. My neighborhood won't allow it...I think because of the "cheap" stigma.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We used cedar impressions vinyl siding and love it for low maintenance and we like the color. Azek trim means no more painting. Only thing it's very expensive so we did it on 3 sides and went with a matching siding on the back side, but it's still good looking, IMO.

You can see the difference from the back corner. But we went with different windows as well, so the back side looks more contemporary than the front. But it still goes.

• Brad Maltz
    11 years ago

I am starting a build now and have chossen the LP Smartside Lap siding. It is cheaper then Hardi, MUCH lighter and easier to install and acts like wood. Also comes in 16' lengths. Maybe take a look at this. I am building a Timber Frame so I wanted more of a natural feel.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Hardie manufactures a wide variety of siding materials. Have you looked at all of them? And there are a variety of competitor products available.

The value of these cementious materials is that the are pre-finished, durable, insect resistant, impervious and they do not expand and contract with heat, as does vinyl.

They are much higher quality and much more durable than vinyl.

What type of home do you have?

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in the very beginning stages of building--I have a plan I've worked on for several years. I just don't like how wide the hardi plank is I guess but I don't want shakes either. I want a combo of thin siding material and stone. I live in the north so it is very cold but I haven't noticed any shrinking of my existing vinyl siding but I do notice that red vinyl siding fades terribly!