Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

xp - raising my bathtub

auroraborelis
10 years ago

I have an odd situation. My entire bathroom was planned around the bathtub being in an alcove with windows on three sides, and outside the windows would be a private garden.

Well, somehow I didn't notice until the tub platform was put in that the windows are the wrong height. They are 18" over the tub when they are supposed to come to the tub deck. Turns out the wrong windows were on the plans and I never double checked the measurements. In theory this is a problem that should be paid for by someone else, but that isn't going to happen so I'm stuck.

Two options

- at a later date have new lower windows installed. (house is already stucco'd and drywalled so cost will be the same today or next year.
- Raise the tub and add a step.

Anyone ever see a tub 42" off the ground with a raised step? Would this work?

Comments (16)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I don't know if that's even possible but, think about cleaning a raised tub, let alone trying to get in and out. I'd make do and lower the windows if need be at some point. But one question..... do you normally use your tub during daylight hours? I was disappointed with the placement of the windows over my tub for the exact same reasons as you, but I generally use my tub at night and wouldn't be looking at the garden in the dark. I find one candle is plenty of light and then the stars outside are the view - I'm no longer disappointed.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Our last rental had a step in front of the tub. The tub was standard height, but the whole thing felt really unsafe to me. Since it was the width of a regular step, standing on it and stepping down into the tub was awkward.

Your situation is different, because the tub would be raised too, and that will definitely make it better than what I had, but I'd only do it if the step could be at least 18" wide.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It's a safety hazard and it will take up a foot of room into your bath area for just one step, and you need more than that if you want the windows on the deck as planned. You will need to do something anti slip on the steps, and add safety rails on both sides. You may need a center handrail if you're going to do steps the whole width of the tub.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew it was a stupid idea... I am so sad about the window placement that I was really just grasping at straws!

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

Whoa! My garden tub is much the same, except because my bathroom is cantilevered over the 2nd floor (so it extends beyond the exterior walls of the main floor...floating in space), I can't run plumbing under the floor. So we had to raise the tub in order to run the plumbing where it won't freeze (bloody cold ND).

Which meant adding steps up to it.

I suppose to some people it might be awkward, but I like stepping up into the tub. Makes it seem grander. We also did the faucets on the step for a nice look and lots of candles there too. Granted, as tall people, it's kinda nice to not be crouching to get in.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Have you considered tiling the entire window wall with a really fabulous tile? Maybe adding a vine design to the area under the windows? I'm really into 'fairy tale' style right now (kind of rustic/romantic meets garden) and I can imagine a lovely view outside and a romantic tile surrounding that view.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awnmyown - can you send a picture of your tub?

Lavender, you may remember that one of the key design items I had included when planning my bath was a private garden outside if my master bath, so that I could look out the window from the tub and see the garden.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Of course, but if you include some climbing roses or other vines and taller plants, you can still see it, even if the windows are a little higher. If that won't work...raise the tub :)

• NWHobart
    10 years ago

I just typed 'Raised Tub" in houzz and found several examples of what I believe will work for your situation. I had planned on having steps up to our master tub as well and these photos only help confirm my design. Best of luck in your decision making.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Raised Tub ideas on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/raised-tub-phbr0lbl-bl~l_70279?fi=8)

• zkgardner
    10 years ago

Not great pics ( from my phone ) , but in our house we just sold I had a raised corner tub. I wanted to see out my window too. I didn't use it often but I think raising your tub would be fine:)

• zkgardner
    10 years ago

Not great pics ( from my phone ) , but in our house we just sold I had a raised corner tub. I wanted to see out my window too. I didn't use it often but I think raising your tub would be fine:)

{{!gwi}}

• User
    10 years ago

If you raise the tub, you need hand rails or grab bars. I think it's even part of the building code these days. It's made it into the NKBA recommendations.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

In many of those pictures, it seems the whole floor that the tub sits on is raised rather than having steps. That looks a little safer although it's still not ideal.

In 1988 cultured marble was all the rage. We built for the first time. We used a jetted Kohler tub in Wild Rose (cringe) with a step that was covered in swirly cultured marble. It was so unsafe. Cringe...I would give up the view not to raise the tub. Plus, I believe you will have to have tempered glass if the windows are any lower.

• cottagewithroses
    10 years ago

Why is your architect or GC not paying for the window changes? Are you acting as your own GC?

• John Lyons
    3 years ago

I found this conversation because I was searching for opinions on raising tubs.

I love the idea.

I never considered 42 inches before.

32 is table height and wind need a step or two.

42 will need 3 or 4.

If you have room for that, I like it.