Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No clearance under exterior doors for an area rug. Mistake?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 16:35

We now have learned that no clearance was left to clear an area rug for the foyer vestibule door and our mud room exterior door. We live in N. Ohio and have seasons that often demand a rug in the house near an exterior door. Is this a huge problem? If we change the size of these doors we need to change all others near them as well as transforms and side lites. Should I have all the doors revised to accommodate area rugs just inside the door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No clearance under exterior doors for an area rug. Mistake?

Use a thinner rug.

o

We don't even have the doors, this is just a question posed by our door guy.

o

Basically we would need to put the threshold on top of the floor instead of butting into the floor if we want to use area rugs.

o

Perhaps I'm not understanding your question...

You don't want any "clearance" under you exterior door, it should sit tight against the threshold so that wind/water can't get in.

However, when closed, the door sits flush against the threshold but the threshold is raised above the level of the interior finished floor by anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. If you want the door set high enough so that, when it swings inward, it passes over the top of an entry rug, then you simply use a taller threshold instead of a low threshold. They come in all sorts of styles and heights.

YOu say the door has not yet been installed. I don't see why you should have any problems UNLESS the door header was set too low so that the rough opening isn't large enough. The rough opening for your door(measured from sub-floor to the bottom edge of the header) should be the height of the door plus about 2.5 inches. The extra 2.5 inches gives you plenty of room for the finished flooring plus a raised threshold.

o

It's pretty difficult to find an exterior door threshold that is low enough that the door would not clear a carpet especially for 2x6 stud walls.

In light wood framing an exterior threshold normally sits on the subfloor and there is a raised lip at the interior side of it directly under the door to keep water from being blown under the door. For the bottom of the door to be too low to swing over a carpet the outer part of the threshold would essentially be flat and not drain well.

I suppose it is possible to have the problem you are concerned about if the threshold was recessed below the subfloor which would be difficult and costly to build.

o

"It's pretty difficult to find an exterior door threshold that is low enough that the door would not clear a carpet especially for 2x6 stud walls. "

Well, that is the case for our house. I can't fit any rug under it or the door won't swing clear. He have hardwood. So, it is a legitimate concern depending on the climate. (It is very dry here and there would never be an issue with drainage at the door.) I can say that it hasn't been an issue for us, although it might be nice to have the option to put rugs at the doors. It sounds like something you NEED in your climate because of weather....

o

It sounds to me that the frame was not set properly for the type of flooring for the interior of the house. I have seen them set quite often with a small step and a small saddle set to the interior which creates the proper "gap" if you will for floor coverings. Please post a picture of your setup it will help in determining a possible fix.

o

We ask what a homeowner's plans are concerning rugs inside of door areas. We take into account the type of finished floor and rug thickness that is planned and block up the appropriate thickness from the sub-floor level with solid 1x material to the bottom of the door frame before installing the door. Pretty straight-forward.

o

Is this new work?

The GC should have asked about flooring.

If it is a 'stock' builder you may be out of luck.

o

Even when the door clears the entry rug, the sweep may not. Speaking from experience.

o

"Even when the door clears the entry rug, the sweep may not. "

Time for a drop seal.

o

I'm no expert, but wouldn't you need a raised threshold to keep rain/snow out? Just asking :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here