Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Marvin won't build outswibg French casement with cremone hardware

threeapples
12 years ago

What do I do? I fell in love with French casements and inswong won't work in our kitchen. I want the antique style hardware and they only do that for inswing. What should I do? So torn here! Thanks

Comments (11)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Did you actually talk to a representative from Marvin? In my experience Marvin will just about anything for a price.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I agree with Renovator8, I have previously sold Marvin and thru there "Signature Series" they will do just about anything. Who told they would not was it just a dealer or did they actually have it sent to Marvin to be quoted?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I spoke to the dealer in our area. I got the idea by looking at an inswing in their signature series. The dealer contacted Marvin's engineering department and they said they won't do an outswing casement with cremone hardware because they've not tested it and can't vouch for it. I'm so frustrated.
    Thanks.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

You may need to have them made custom. I googled and found these folks who make an outswing casement with cremone hardware. . . This is similar to ours with the vertical lights to match up with our largely double hung windows everywhere else. . .

You could just get a custom window made for that spot and use the Marvin everywhere else . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Outswing casement

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Try Kolbe & Kolbe for the hell of it, maybe even Parrett

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

The will make them. It's just you may not like the price.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Well, Marvin is saying they won't make one.
    I checked the website you suggested, Athensmom and it's one I've visited for this purpose before. I've not contacted them to see about a quote, but I worry about two things: the exterior is wood, not clad, and it might be outrageous to order just one window. I guess I'm also worried that I've not heard of this company and can't vouch for their quality.
    Any thoughts?

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I know nothing about the company either, except they show it can be done. Wood windows are still used - I have a friend who just built a beautiful house with them - and with maintenance they will last a long time. You can also get various species of wood that are less likely to rot. I think she used mahogany (?). Of course, that is more expensive than pine, or whatever is used on most clad windows. . .

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, they claim they can't do outswing casement with the cremone hardware I really want (I just think it's so much more beautiful that way). Uggh, not sure if I should do one window from a separate company or just deal with the outswing and no gorgeous hardware.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Have them build the window with no hardware and and the Cremone hardware yourself

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

millworkman, i'm not sure they'll sell me a window without hardware. i'd have no idea how to affix the hardware, though i have thought of that! :)