Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgabriel_gw

Wood deck versus concrete

mgabriel
15 years ago

Does anyone know the pros and cons of building a wood deck versus concrete? Also, which one is most likely to be more expensive and by what percentage?

thanks,

Comments (9)

• chisue
    15 years ago

If this must be a raised structure, I'm sure the concrete will cost more, if only to support it.

I'm no fan of decks, period. Very happy to have 'on the ground' Brussels Block terraces that need no maintenance.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Concrete will crack, but I would never, never, do a wooden deck that needs to be stained again.....I am going to use the composite next time....a bit more costly, but I refuse to do anymore staining of decks!

• robin0919
    15 years ago

Are you talking about a patio vs raised wood deck? If so, a patio is much less expensive and basically no maint.

• mikeyvon
    15 years ago

IMO, nothing can beat the beauty and warmth of a real wood deck. hands down - no contest.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

My Q same as Robin's.

"Deck" normally means open flooring, up in the air [with or without walking space beneath]. Concrete isn't often used in such a circumstance because of the very high cost of support in comparison to the support required for wood or plood. You'll have to do your own price comparisons due to the great differences between areas/states, but it would not surprise me to see concrete cost at least twice that of a well-designed wood deck.

Concrete (or patio blocks, stepping stones, brick) when laid on the ground is *much* lower in cost and also much lower in maintenance requirements compared to wood. Wood must be raised and structurally supported regardless of distance from soil -- 2 feet up is only a little less costly than 20' up.

Wood can be very, very attractive but beauty comes with an ongoing price in the form of regular upkeep required. (Sure, you can ignore the upkeep, but it will quickly look ignored!) Depending on the wood species and finish selected, be prepared to re-finish every couple years.
    A deck is one place where plood can be a serious contender. The initial outlay is higher than wood, but ongoing upkeep is negligable. This is especially true if you are considering painted elements, and if you live in a variable- or extreme-weather area.

• mgabriel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It will be screened in which will protect it from natural elements. We are leaning towards concrete because of the low maintenance factor but we are building on a budget.

thanks for the input.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Screening keeps bugs out, but it will let rain in.

Roof overhang or entirely covering deck area will help keep weather out but anytime the wind blows from the right direction while it's raining or snowing, there will be moisture coming through the screen. (Guess who learned that one the hard way! -- and just because one puts a porch on the lee [non-weather] side does not mean it will never see rainy-windy weather.)

Remember there are two things to consider when you budget: The initial cost of the item, and the cost of keeping it looking nice over its lifetime...

The least expensive permanent deck is probably ground-level, with a proper below-frost-line foundation and base with a walking surface of re-claimed brick or homemade pavers or spread concrete. The more labor you do yourself, the less $$ you will spend. If you go the paver route, you can save quite a lot by learning to make your own. IMO, it is worth spending money to have low-maintenance framing; go for plood or use multiple layers of marine-grade finishes on all wood surfaces.

• robin0919
    15 years ago

What is plood? I thought it was a misspelled word..... A concrete patio will run less than 50% of what a wood deck would cost to install.