Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivek1263

Turret roof idea. Please help

Vinyal
10 years ago

We have a turret Ceiling on a spiral staircase. The ceiling is pretty steep and has been dry walled using multiple pie shaped pieces of dry wall with the joint compound in between. The dry wall guys are warning me that every house that they have done a ceiling like that has cracked at the joints with the expansion and contractions of the wood above. I am not sure what i can do now to have to deal with the problem down the road. Any ideas will be welcome.

Comments (9)

• Vinyal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some more images with the drywall. We do not want a dome. the diameter of the space is 16ft.

Vinyal

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Well, dry wall cracks are going to happen on just about every house. Particularly if you are on soils that expand and contract a lot with moisture changes and new houses tend to settle a bit.

I see no reason what you are showing would be any more likely to crack as any other joint -you just happen to have a lot more of them in the same area. Sheetrock is fairly easy to fix.

I suppose you could lathe and plaster it but I don't think I would. I suppose the sheet rockers could have done the ceiling with two layers of 1/4" and eliminated 2/3 of the joints and over lapped them.

• Vinyal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris

Thanks for your input. I might have look into the 1/4 inch board idea. The problem I am worried down the road will be how to get up there (26ft high ceiling located above a spiral staircase)to repair the cracks. I was wondering if there is some material (polyurethane or something else) that I could nail it on the drywall and then paint it. Would using EIFS with the foam boards and mesh be an option?
    Vinyal

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

We rented a house with a Turret over the stairs. What a nightmare! It had a chandelier hanging from it and it was so difficult to change a light bulb and dangerous. We tried propping a ladder on the stairs but it was too scary.

The other problem was cob webs which hung from the turret. The house was built in the 60's and I don't think the turret was ever dusted.

When we contacted the owner about cleaning the cobwebs and changing the bulbs he said he couldn't do that nor clean the webbing.

We wound up hiring a painter who managed to get up there to change the lightbubs and sweep away the dust.

I do think this house had a higher ceiling than yours, so maybe you will be able to get up there. The stairs are the problem getting a ladder up there.

Jane

• Vinyal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jane

That is exactly what I am worried about. I am installing a chandelier lift to take care of changing bulbs.

Like Chris above mentioned I was wondering if a 1/4" high-flex Sheetrock and making it wet will make it flexible enough to be applied on the ceiling without cracking.

Vinyal

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I could not tell how much curve you have up there it may be too much for 1/4" but the drywall people would know.

Yes I would think that you could plaster over a wire mesh and the EIFS system essentially does the same thing. I would guess that the final EIFS coating would have a bit more flex.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Ah the price of beauty!

Turret=

Completely impractical from a usability standpoint, but what a statement it makes. And people are willing to make sacrifices for appearances sake. So, you just have to take the bad with the good.

• Vinyal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we have decided that we will stucco the ceiling. Our stucco guy has done this once before for a similar ceiling and so far has held up well for about 4yrs now. We shall see.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    10 years ago

You could have a fiberglass dome, that uses bondo at the joints, to make the ceiling. The roof rafters settling would not effect it.

http://www.imperialdomes.com/DOME-4.htm

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio