Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrilea_gw

Help - Bucks County sparkle?

sherrilea
12 years ago

I love the look of Bucks County stone on srg215 and Juniork's houses and am considering it for our build. The problem is the sample board I picked up has a crazy amount of sparkle on the stones! Really, like silver glitter in the stone! Here is a picture:

and closer:

I never picked up any sparkle in the picts shown on this forum. Anyone have experience with this? Is this what happens to the stones over time? Maybe my sample board is just an anomaly? The supply house I picked up the sample board couldn't tell me how old this sample is or if this is typical of actual product - no help.

Comments (4)

• mcclelland
    12 years ago

We did Bucks County along with another house in our development. There is a tiny bit of sparkle once in awhile- but it is so infrequent it isn't a factor.

WHen we were deciding on stone, those sample boards were TERRIBLE- once we found one we liked, we would find a house with the stone, and they were sooo different. Good luck- but I do believe Bucks County is a very safe, traditional stone. We are happy with the decision.

• juniork
    12 years ago

That's too funny! our sample board looks NOTHING like yours!

My big thing with Bucks County was that I wanted more of the reddish stones, and I was afraid that there would not be enough. There are barely enough for my taste, but I'm ok with it...better safe than sorry (too much red). I was also afraid of there being too much gray, which might clash with my cedar-like shingles, but that didn't happen either. I will tell you that I seriously didn't notice the 'sparkles' until I read your thread. Our house is shaded by a ton of oak trees, though, so the times I'm up there, in the afternoon, there is not sun shining on it.

If you really want to see it, you could try calling your cultured stone supplier, and ask them if they can give you an address of someone who purchased it. Ours did that, but then said that it was such a small amount that they thought it might be on a fireplace instead of the house, so I didn't bother driving there to look. I found a sample picture of another color choice on a firehouse on the OC website, and they listed the firehouse city. We drove out there, looked at it, decided we didn't like it at all in person, and then went to dinner on that side of the bay. Went back to the Bucks County.

• sherrilea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, mcclelland! My husband is definitely not fond of the sparkle - good to hear your experience with it. Would love to see a house with this stone in person but not sure how to go about locating one....

• sherrilea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good suggestion to call the supplier, juniork, thanks! Unfortunately we live 140 miles away from our build, so it will entail more than just a dinner away :-)

So you haven't noticed any sparkle at all in your stone? Our house is not shaded so any potential for sparkle will definitely be maximized. I really don't want to pick another stone.