Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willietom

Neo-eclectic at its best!

willietom
9 years ago

Or not. Some of you may recognize this elevation from a few months ago. I needed to remove it (long story).
We removed all the gewgaws and such, so help us make the "ugly step sister" as pretty as she can be :)
Six questions....
1) siding size
2) window casing style
3) windows grouped
4) corbels or not
5)roof color- exterior will be creamy white
6) windows- white or black
What am I forgetting?

Comments (7)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Looks awesome! However, wouldn't snow build up between the dormer on the far left and the peak above the front door, and between the peak above the garage near the middle and the place where the roof bends?

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 10:15

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Take the time to make a 3D drawing of the house and use that to develop a unifying idea that ties together the seemingly arbitrary "one of each" roof and gable shapes.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

The most important improvement may be to tame the roof--it seemingly goes everywhere, especially that tall peak at the vicinity of the intersection of the house and garage.

Is there some appealing reason to have both gable and hip roof forms...?

Good luck on your house.

• willietom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The foundation has already been dug. So I don't know that the roof line can be changed at this point. She just needs a little help with the finishes.

This post was edited by willietom on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 1:04

• chispa
    9 years ago

There is something that looks off with the scale of the large window to the right of the front door.

Single garage door should have 2 larger windows to match scale of double doors, not 4 smaller ones as shown.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I agree; the windows look oddly proportioned and the ones to the right of the entrance portico are too close to the eave and too close to the ground with no space between the two windows suggesting they are one window which I doubt they are intended to be.

The big steep hipped roofs are an old French tradition; the front facing gables are an old English. Grafting the two together is an awkward twist to neo-eclecticism which usually takes one tradition and reinterprets it.

• willietom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Chispa,
    1) over scaled window- I've had reservations about that window myself. It was drawn over sized intentionally and I get that, but...yeah, it could be scaled done just a bit.
    2) garage door- I didn't even notice that.
    Thanks Renovator, I appreciate your insight. I don't know what can be done about the roof at this point. Besides the over sized window and garage , do you think the other windows are ok?

This post was edited by willietom on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 21:09