Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hima36_gw

Plan review

hima36
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are in process of constructing new home. I have attached plan herewith. Any suggestions will be highligh appriciated. Main porch is on East side and kitchn side enterance is on North. On north we have space for future detached garage towards center. We are having a family of 3 (our son is 18 yr old). We wanted dual master with our bedroom downstair. We preferred formal living and family liging connected - but not very excited about powder room location, but that was the best option coming out. The upstair has another master, 2 guest bedroom and seperate laundry area. Again, any suggestions will be highly approciated.

Comments (9)

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

attached is second floor plan

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Overall I like it...

Couple things:

Can the powder room be moved across the stairs behind that wall? Having that bath open right out into the room for everyone to see is a dealbreaker for me. You may have to push that wall back or re-arange it, but leaving it there is a problem.

Upstairs does that hall lead to an upper porch? If not you could make that end portion a closet and get rid of the two small closets that are in there now.

Also the area behind the island is tight. I don't believe stools will fit there.

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much sir. For powder room - we were told that it was not possible in right half where kitchen is (currently we have small store room in that area). Options we were told were - either current version or between family and formal living (door opening in foyer) or between kitchen and dining where we have pantry at present. Would you recommend that at the cost of spacious living - it can be bw family and formal living? any other suggestion? For upstair - yes - that hall lead to upper porch. Thank you for suggesting about island. We will rearrange it.

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much sir. For powder room - we were told that it was not possible in right half where kitchen is (currently we have small store room in that area). Options we were told were - either current version or between family and formal living (door opening in foyer) or between kitchen and dining where we have pantry at present. Would you recommend that at the cost of spacious living - it can be bw family and formal living? any other suggestion? For upstair - yes - that hall lead to upper porch. Thank you for suggesting about island. We will rearrange it.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I like the overall layout, but I think your rooms are too small...well, everything downstairs, besides the master suite.

The dining room is only 10' deep and that's pretty tight, even without a hutch. The living room is also very small...and as mentioned by Ga, the kitchen is too small for seating at the island.

Anyway to make every room about 2' deeper (front to back)? I think that would be a huge improvement.

Also, could you turn the stairs (again, by adding those few feet) and make them face the front door, more in the middle of your space? Then the powder room and closet could be next to them, then the butler's pantry. Just an idea :)

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you lavender_less. This is very true. However, this is maximum we get front to back. I would more than happy to compromize on porch width, but it is not allowed

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Why are things not allowed? Is this a custom home?

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes - homeowner's association has approved the plan - and two porch of this width were compulsory. This forum is wonderful. thank you all

• hima36
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to update you all that we have decided to not move forward with this project (due to various other conflict). Owe a big thank to this wonderful communicty

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert