Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stblgt_gw

what to do? ceiling fans, vaulted ceilings and window questions.

stblgt
10 years ago

hey everyone! new to the forum and like to read about what everyone is doing. i'm having a home built in early 2014 and have pretty much everything finalized except a few items.

1. ceiling fans. what is everyone's thought on this? I think i'm putting one in the great room, but would you put them in the bedrooms? do you think they are outdated?

2. vaulted ceilings in bedrooms (other than master). we are having an angled tray ceiling in the master bedroom, but was wondering if we should do a vaulted ceiling in the other 2 bedrooms. they are both around the same size at 10.6" (wide) x 13.0" (long). are these bedrooms too small for a vaulted ceiling? the plan we have calls for them, but we're not sure if we should remove them.

3. great room windows. we have tall windows in the great room. in the front there is 1 (fixed) window and in the rear we are having either 3 or 4 (identical to the front) windows. our dilemma is to have the 3 or 4 windows fixed like the front of the house or to have those 3 or 4 as double-hung windows so we will be able to open them.

I appreciate your help and open to all and any suggestions that you have.

thanks!

This post was edited by stblgt on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 16:07

Comments (10)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Opinions will vary widely on all issues (and YOUR opinion is the only one that matters) - but here are mine:

1. Outdated? No way as they are too useful! We have and use them in all the bedrooms, among other places.

2. I see no reason the have vaulted ceilings in bedrooms.

3. I like fresh air, so I would have windows that open. For cross ventilation, I prefer windows that can open to be on two walls.

• rrah
    10 years ago

1. It depends where you live I think, although we enjoy it in our bedrooms.

2. I would probably like the vaulted ceilings in these rooms, depending upon the direction, etc.

3. I would want windows that open at least in the back of the house. We rarely open windows due to some allergies, but I can't imagine a room without being able to open a single window.

• Fori
    10 years ago

In MY opinion,

1. Put in fans if you like them. They can be removed without leaving a blemish in the future if they become outdated. I would certainly want them!

2. Vaulted ceilings can be disproportionate and look weird and pretentious in small bedrooms. I'd try to see a similar example in person before doing it. Might be fine. Might be awful. I would skip it.

3. Windows that open are better.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we've always been pretty definite on the ceiling fans. however, the vaulted ceilings and windows are still leaving us on the fence. I am located in the northeast, so it does get pretty cold here.

the thing is, where we are now, we hardly ever open up windows and hardly ever use the ceiling fans. this is why we're having a hard time deciding.

thanks for the responses so far! always would like to hear more input!

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

You could always only have one of the three windows operational and the other two fixed.

• nini804
    10 years ago

1. I don't think ceiling fans themselves will ever be outdated...they are too functional. I do think certain styles of ceiling fans are outdated....those faux wood ones with the three frosted lights hanging down seem outdated to me.

2. My take on vaulting bedrooms...we have a 16'x17' bedroom that doesn't have anything above it so we decided it would be nice to take the ceiling all the way up to the rafters. It is beautiful with beams and large windows in there. It is also echo-y and noisy with the wood floors. Even with an area rug, the room seems cold and not a cozy sleeping room. I wish we just left it as a flat 10' ceiling.

3. I like operable windows...fresh air makes me happy!

• jennybc
    10 years ago

My vote. We are building now and have placed fan boxes in every bedroom plus the living room. We have light fixtures for all bedrooms with plans to get fans down the road.
    10'6"x13' seems small. Are these rooms being used or are they guest rooms? Laid out well, these sizes may function just fine; however, make sure that it works. I wouldn't go vaulted. A high ceiling would be fine if its the same as the rest of the house. But the size would worry me if these are rooms with planned bedroom furniture sets. Just sketch it out to make sure what you think will fit...will.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we are pretty set (99%) are getting the fans. however, getting them wired if we weren't to get them is a great idea!

jennybc: the 2 rooms are going to be guest/computer style rooms. we have no kids and don't plan on having any. if we do, it will be just one.

the upstairs calls for 8 foot ceilings with a vaulted ceiling in every bedroom. we are doing an angled tray in the master and still unsure about the other 2 bedrooms...either vault or leave at 8'.

edit: also, we were thinking....in the great room with those 3 or 4 windows, what if you do those windows as a casement style? would that work? we're trying to get the same look of the fixed window in the rear of the house.

i don't know much about casement windows and how much more they would be compared to double-hungs. the window is about 3x6/7 and then another square window above it (not sure how big that one is right now, maybe 3x2). i'm not sure if the casements are even made in that size.

This post was edited by stblgt on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 9:40

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

I think vaulted ceilings in bedrooms, especially small BR's make them less cozy. If anything, BR's should have lower ceilings, IMHO.

Casements would be a good alternative. They cost a bit more than double hungs, and they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they do offer a more open view, and they are slightly better for keeping the weather out.

I couldn't live without ceiling fans or operable windows; we open the house up any time the weather is between about 60 and 80, and ceiling fans allow us to keep the A/C at 80 in the summer.