Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Will bleach kill mold on wood framing?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 15:56

I'm worried about my basement. We are drywalling there soon and there is black mold on the framing. I'm super nervous about getting it all since my son and I have bad mold allergies and we'll never know if mold is behind the drywall. Any suggestions? Also, our house was up without brick or a roof for many rainy months. How do I know mold didn't grow behind the tyvek?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Will bleach kill mold on wood framing?

Mold only grows in moist environments. Dry it out and it is dead. As long as you have a decent waterproofing system for your basement, it should be fine.

On the other hand, mold spores aren't actually alive, and that is what most people are allergic to. However, they permeate the environment and are impossible to eliminate. The best "treatment" for them is encapsulation. Putting drywall over them and air sealing will keep them from floating around on the air currents. It's also a wise move from an energy conservation standpoint to air seal the home as a whole.

RE: Will bleach kill mold on wood framing?

not to be ignorant, but what do you mean "air seal" the home? how do we do that? i'm terrified that we will have mold problems down the line and even more worried that there might be mold between the tyvek and the plywood since our home was sitting with no roof or brick all spring. i'm going tomorrow to check between the tyvek and the wood. what do i do if there is mold?

RE: Will bleach kill mold on wood framing?

We hired an independent inspector to periodically inspect our build. It was well worth the money and gave us peace of mind. You can also tell your builder that you insist on having someone do an air test for mold once it's all dried out. We did that as well because we were worried just like you.

RE: Will bleach kill mold on wood framing?

As a person with HLA genetic problems I will tell you what I learned about immunology--bleach doesn't "kill" mold. It only bleaches the surface. And yes if you are suseptable any kind of mold "residue" will fly though the air and make you sick. Dead spores are just as bad as wet ones bc they land in your nice wet lungs. DOn't be fooled. Rip it all out, keep the humidity below 40-50% and put high quality air cleaners everywhere. The ones that use all three moldalities (UV light, charcoal and HEPA andd even a fourth--OZONE will do the trick). Be cautious. People scoffed at me and said, oh mold is everywhere you're not sick from that are now shocked at what I have learned. Don't take any chances. I've lost my whole immune system and look like I'm dying from AIDS. They thought I HAD AIDS!! That 's how sick I am. Be CAREFUL.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here