Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swfr

Use a cabinet line other than what your builder recommended?

swfr
10 years ago

(This is a cross post from the kitchen forum, but thought that it might be better suited to an audience that is building not renovating.)

Has anyone done this? I am getting the hard sell on the Merillat line that my builder uses (and includes in his plans) but have found that shopping around gets me a design I prefer.
I would love to hear from others who have decided to go against the builder's recommendation. I want to respect the fact that they have a relationship with this company, and that they must find them easy to work with, but at the same time I find that it will be hard to swallow the enormous amount of money that I'm spending if I feel like I'm not allowed to choose the option that seems to suit me the best.
I have been told what my allowance is for cabinets and I'm willing to work with it and apply it to these other cabinets. But I'm wondering about the logistics of having cabinets coming in from a dealer that they aren't used to working with and installing. Is that likely to be a tricky thing? Or are cabinets all the same and shouldn't make any difference as long as I'm sure they'll be there in time?
I don't know how to handle this and would love advice from anyone who has it!

Comments (2)