Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
owaller

Heating Bathroom floors

owaller
16 years ago

I want to have heated floors in our Master Bathroom. I've heard of radiant heat and recently saw some materials on some type of "under tile" heating elements (electrical). I'd like to get some feedback on what others are doing with respect to heated bathroom floors, what are your costs and any pro's and con's.

thanks.

Comments (9)

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

Check this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read this

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

Also this.

Here is a link that might be useful: More

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

I am using a product that is series of heat mats connected together that goes underneath the tile. There are a few different vendors that make them.

I was a bit surprised at the price for this stuff - I thought it would be inexpensive for the material but it wasn't. The cost to install was 3 dollars a square foot - they lay the mats in a base of thin set mortar and then tile over it.

I looked at a hydro radiant heating system which I thought I could do after we moved in since it goes under the subfloor on the basement side. Turns out this approach would cost a little more and I had access issues. So I bit the bullet and put the mats in.

There were too many conflicting opinions on what type of system is better. I went with the product my builder had used it many times before and had good results.

• iliya1
    16 years ago

We put Suntouch brand in-floor heating mats in our master bath. We got the mats at Home Depot and the controller at Lowes because each was a little cheaper there. It is VERY easy to install. The product comes with very detailed instructions and helpful DVD. One word of caution: The floor should be insulated in order to prevent heat loss downward.

• owaller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wanted to share my deepest appreciation for your assitance. This forum is awesome. Thanks to all

• buzzsaw
    16 years ago

I really like the Heatizon product. It is oh so friendly to install, but it is sure expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heatizon

• daltex
    16 years ago

FYI, we were planning on radiant heat for our MBRB floor, but at the last minute we cut it from our plans in an attempt to save a bit of money. Good news is my bride made the cut ... bad news is she really regrets that decision. So my comment is to not let the cost give you pause if you really want it ... and can squeeze it into your budget.

• DYH
    16 years ago

We have the heated floors in the master bath. Great decision. SunTouch mats. We've been here two years. Last summer, we turned it off, but got concerned due to the contraction with the cold air from the a/c. We could here 'pop' sometimes when we walked across it. It concerned us that it would loosen the tiles -- it did loosen some grout for about 2 inches on only one tile. So, now we keep it on a low setting all summer and we don't get any of the contracting and expanding sounds. It was probably the subfloor changing -- so, ask about whether it should always be on to keep the floor at a constant low warm temp.

Cameron

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

My husband did our bathrooms this summer before we had tile laid. He put a layer of thin cork under the wires to insulate it. He also did a programable thermostat. We haven't used it yet but hopefully will soon.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County