Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spottythecat

It's September 2013 How is your build going?

Spottythecat
10 years ago

Hello...the other thread maxed out at 150 posts so I thought I would start another...

Someone asked me about my beam sizes...I believe they are 12x12 pecky cypress. They will be stained.

I will post some progress pictures!

Lots of new builds starting....very exciting for all of you!

Pam

Comments (21)

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They started the built in closets!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Walls poured on Monday, waterproofing today. Realized we indeed have to take out the GIANT oak tree. Ugh! I will post some pics later this week. I have been taking them but they don't really look like anything to me yet. :)

Off topic - my oldest turns 11 today - WOW! Amazingly he is aging but I am not, lol!

I will link the other thread so it can easily be referred to:

It's September 2013! How's your build going? Part 1

• renton123
    10 years ago

House framed, stonework almost done, roof shingled, garage floor just poured :)

• sochi
    10 years ago

Just beginning, not much more than a hole in the ground, but its a start!

• hough2012
    10 years ago

Spotty - Closet is looking good. What system are you using?

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn...sounds like your build is moving along..post pictures!! Happy B-day to your 11 year old! Time does fly!

Renton - beautiful home...love the windows! What part of the country are you building in?

sochi - welcome! Looks like a beautiful setting! Where are you building?

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hough - we are using the Closet Factory. They are also doing an 11 foot work bench in our garage. I will post more pictures..

Here is my pantry....

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of my boys' closets...

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Husband's office...LOVE the color!

The company who did our cabinets did this unit too!

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Game Room/Man Cave...built in entertainment center...

We wanted drawers inside of one cabinet and our trim guy said his price was high to custom build them...so I went to the Container Store and found these bamboo drawer pull outs! They are 20 inches wide....perfect for rows of DVD's etc....

Pam

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the wood floors are in..and covered!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Have been at a stand still waiting on build package and framers to finish another job.

Garage floor poured today. Not sure why this is before the framing, but as long as something is happening... I don't care what it is!! :)

Everybody's stuff looks soo nice!

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

The footers were dug and poured on Tuesday

Today we are having blocks installed

Our framer is backed up on another job so we have to wait two more weeks before he can start. It's okay. We've waited 5 years to get to this point, a couple weeks doesn't bother me.

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

I still haven't figured out how to do the multiple picture post but here is a link to my Sept construction pictures on Shutterfly.

https://constructionsept2013.shutterfly.com/

August seemed at a standstill but a lot seems to have gotten done in September:
    Back porch and brick columns, trim/moldings, beadboard in mudroom hall, bathrooms & laundry tile, master shower tile, fireplace mantles, poured garage floor, and finally got the last of the doors installed....HVAC started a couple weeks ago and hardwood floors are sitting in the house ready to be installed. I'm happy

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

I still haven't figured out how to do the multiple picture post but here is a link to my Sept construction pictures on Shutterfly.

https://constructionsept2013.shutterfly.com/

August seemed at a standstill but a lot seems to have gotten done in September:
    Back porch and brick columns, trim/moldings, beadboard in mudroom hall, bathrooms & laundry tile, master shower tile, fireplace mantles, poured garage floor, and finally got the last of the doors installed....HVAC started a couple weeks ago and hardwood floors are sitting in the house ready to be installed. I'm happy

{{!gwi}}

• sochi
    10 years ago

Thanks Spottythecat. We are building in Quebec, Canada. The fall colours are just coming out now as you can see in the picture. It is a heavily wooded 26 acre lot on a small lake. We will be up there tomorrow canoeing I think, I will take some more pics.

• Zoe52
    10 years ago

Can't wait to get started... but we need to wait until next spring when our builder is available. In the meantime, we are finalizing our plans.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Either I am just NOT a great picture taker or it's really tough to capture it all in pics (probably a little bit of both)! It is amazing to me that with each different step I either think "oh my what have we done it looks too big or all of a sudden it looks too small".

Here is a week+ in review.

I had to include these although they are a view from the rental it was spectacular!

Now on to the house - it is moving right along. I think up next are the finishing of the backfill which should be early next week and then the basement floor to be poured. I am ready to see some framing!

Footings:

Forms:

Walls! :) From the rear looking toward the front. I can't really get a pic of the front because of the woods and you can't really see anything since the walls are full height in the front and daylight in the back. Backfill has started.

Driveway approach:

From the front corner (well taped off - thank you Hough):

Backfill started - this is inside the garage with our dozer guard:

Our weather is looking good for the next couple of weeks so I am hoping we can get a lot more accomplished before the first blast of winter arrives.

• hoosierbred
    10 years ago

Autumn.4, our son-in-law (who is our GC) told us last week that throughout our build to expect the house to feel too small sometimes and large enough at other times. I understand how you feel. Yesterday I walked inside our block foundation picturing where rooms were. I told my DH that I thought our laundry room was larger than it felt! :-)

The block layers came back yesterday and worked from 7-2. The block suppliers were 180 blocks short so DH has to go pick them up early Monday morning. Also none of the block layers wanted to put mastic (tar) on the blocks so DH did that all yesterday. It's a yucky job!

Here's a look at the front of the house

Here is inside looking out toward front

Here is the back of the house. You can see DH applying that messy stuff.

• Spottythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn...I hear what you are saying about the house shrinking then growing....it doesn't stop! Different stages all look big/small/small/big...LOL!

I felt like my kitchen was small...now I feel like it's just right...much larger than I have now! My master is probably too big...could have cut back there, but we have these awesome windows with such a great lake view...so maybe a sitting area will be in the future budget!

Your blocks are sooo nice and straight, uniform...just like that game "Minecraft"...if you have kids, you know the game!

I need to figure out how to post all pics in one post!

Pam

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Hoosierbred, what part of Indiana are you building?