Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

creative (seamless, integrated) ways to house a printer w/o a

illinigirl
10 years ago

dedicated office.

We don't really need an office, but we DO need a printer. After talking with my cabinet designer I realized the space i originally planned to house the printer (a message center in the mudroom) isn't going to work because of depth.

We have lots of space to house a printer in other spots but I'm trying to choose the most seamless, integrated way to do it. We have a huge walk in pantry
We have a huge walk in coat closet.

I'm just trying to get ideas about the best way to do this. What kind of cabinetry do you use to house your printer? Rollout, other?

thanks!

(printer is wireless so it doesn't have to be connected to anything physically to make it work, just have a power source near by)

Comments (8)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Where do you need that printer?
    No sense putting it in one side (or floor) of a house when it is most needed elsewhere....

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as long as it's on my main floor (and not in the master bedroom) I'm pretty cool with wherever. I mean, I don't think it will be good in the kitchen proper, but pantry, I'm fine with. other closets, I'm fine with. Laundry room even, I'm fine with.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Have you seen a2gemini's 'caves'? They could house a lot of office type stuff (not sure on her dimensions though) - such as paper, printer, pens, calculator etc..

I'll link it - pretty creative, but not sure on your space limitations given your varying room options.

Full reveal - lots of pics so you'll have to scan down - they are separated by a window seat more than 3/4 of the way down,
    A2 full reveal

A better image of just the caves but close up so you don't get the from afar view:
    A2 Cave close up

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 16:26

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It will also need ventilation if enclosed in cabinetry. Many laser printers are also too deep to fit into a 24" base cabinet so that's something else to consider.

I've done desk areas that had an open base cabinet with a roll out tray for the printer. That worked well for the most part. Or just an open deep shelf in the pantry. Remember that you need room above the printer for access, as well as an easy way to pull out the paper hopper and access the on/of switch. That's a big point with me, because in my current office which I designed from scratch, the printer is in the perfect spot for workflow, but the on/off switch in on the wrong side of the printer, up against the wall.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

When we did our kitchen remodel, I wanted to incorporate a file drawer and place for our printer without having a dedicated desk area. Our KD came up with a custom cabinet at the end of our raised peninsula. The cabinet houses my DHs junk drawer, the file drawer and the printer. After 4 years, it's worked very well for us. Our laptop normally sits at on the peninsula, although we're finding we use it less and less now that we both have iPads and can print directly to the printer from them.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

If you use a Wi-Fi network, then the printer may be located anywhere. The real question is where do you want to go to get printed material? For example, where will you most often be using your computer and want to access printed material?

Why put the printer in the basement if you will be using your computer in the bedroom?

Good luck with your project.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the considerations! I have made careful measurements, including when the top of the printer is "open" to have proper clearances all around, I took note of the on/off switch (it's in the front). I will probably do a simple flat rollout on a shelf in the pantry. The pantry is centrally located on the main floor at the perimeter of the kitchen so I think very convenient for anyone printing for homework or anything else.

Since I'm sure our home will outlast our printer I'll probably try to make the shelf a little larger than I think I need to accommodate a future printer of different dimensions, although I think if needed I'd be able to find one to fit a certain space restriction since I'll never want an oversized printer for simple household printer functions.

• res2architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It would help to know the printer you own or the one you intend to buy. It will make a difference if it has a scanner. Is it ink Jet or Laser? Black & white or color? Does it need access to the back to clear paper jams? High speed or slow? Used with Mac or PC?