Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plans now in hand....where's the plumbing?

Posted by cpacker (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 15:16

What level of detail should I expect in the
architect's completed plans? I'm poised to
send them out to builders for bids. Among the
10 large sheets are a foundation page, a roof
page, and a page that shows a large amount of
detail on the framing. But there's no page
that details all the plumbing piping.
(The water heater is spec'd in the notes, along
with specific bathtub and shower types we wanted.)
Is this something that the builder creates, or leaves to
the plumbing subcontractor to figure out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plans now in hand....where's the plumbing?

Plumbing is like electrical work - it is closely controlled by codes so the plumber figures out how to do it using the architectural drawings for fixture locations and using the structural framing plans for the pipe runs and the plumbing inspector determines if it is acceptable. If there is a problem running pipes or the vent termination will be in a sensitive location, the architect or engineer might be consulted.

o
RE: Plans now in hand....where's the plumbing?

Renovator8 is correct! Generally speaking, plumbing fixtures and finishes are called out in the drawings or specifications, usually with a chart, but sometimes with notes on the drawings.

If there are any special plumbing requirements, i.e., clean-outs, floor drains, sump pump, special collection and drainage, etc., these should also be called out.

After that, it's up to the plumber to install and meet code requirements which will be verified by the local building official when plumbing work is completed. Piping sizes and runs are seldom shown unless there is an unusual condition coupled with them. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here