Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmagoo

Don Gardner Home Plans?

msmagoo
16 years ago

Has anyone used his plans? Did you make modifications? DH & I really like this home. Has anyone built it?

Magoo

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (62)

• cpayne5
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My wife and I are building a "massaged" Topeka. This will be our first home (I'm 25, wife is 22).

• danielzgrl37
    16 years ago

We have been considering the "Dogwood Ridge" with some changes. Has anyone built this home or know of anywhere to see some more pics?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood Ridge Plans

• dilly2008
    15 years ago

Has anyone completed The Fitgerald and would be willing to share some thoughts, insights, photos, etc? We are about to build and are looking for some information on the house.

• mjob1999
    15 years ago

We are building the house plan at the top, the Derbyville. has anyone completed this house plan and have pictures to share? Would love to see some completed plans to help keep us motivated!!!

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

We are currently building the Cartwright. I love the DG floorplans, so nice and open and very functional. The only changes we made were to add a couple feet to the garage and a screened porch on back.

Here are a few pictures

{{gwi:1475576}}

{{gwi:1458240}}

{{gwi:1497585}}

{{gwi:1497586}}

• randita
    15 years ago

Sprice. Beautiful lot and house! With that red dirt and the mountain views, I would guess western VA/NC or eastern TN. Am I right?

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

You are right on the money - the beautiful hills of east TN, just on the edge of Knoxville!

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

SPrice, very nice indeed. What county did you build in, and who is your builder, if you don't mind saying?

• trilby23
    15 years ago

Hi sprice5105,

I'm building (almost building, actually) in Blaine. Are we neighbors perhaps? (frog_hopper, I see you got here before me!) :-)

-------------- Trilby

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Wow, what a coincidence! I am building in Knox Co but practically in Blaine. We are technically in Mascot but just across the street from the Grainger Co. line.

My builder is Mike Shelton and he is fantastic! If you are looking for a builder, I highly recommend him.

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Thanks, I've made note of the name, but our site is probably too far east for him. Do you know where he works out of?

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Make that too far west. Should have had more coffee before I posted.

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Frog hopper - Where are you building?

He is from the Grainger Co/Union Co area but I know he is getting ready to build in Anderson Co so he does seem to build all around the area.

I'd be happy to give you his number if you are interested.

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

We are building west of Oak Ridge in Roane County. I would like his number, if you are comfortable with posting it, or if you know how to send email through GardenWeb. I tried to find instructions on how to email members through the site and had no luck.

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

I can't figure out how to email members either. Why don't you email me at sprice5105@comcast.net and I will give you his number.

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Will do. Thank you.

• mlo1
    15 years ago

sprice5105... scroll to the bottom of the page where it gives a link to "member services". You will then be able to edit your profile and add an e-mail link.

• trilby23
    15 years ago

Sprice5105.... What a small world it really is! I'm just a few miles from you, on Indian Ridge Rd (or I will be eventually. We're getting the workshop built so that we can live there while we get the "Real House" built). Do you know if Mike Shelton has any ICF experience?

---------------------- Trilby

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Hi Trilby,

Where on Indian Ridge are you? Are you close to River Ranch? I used to board my horses there. We are renting a house right in Blaine next to the Little Dipper.

I don't know if Mike has ICF experience or not. Come by and see our place and you can see some of his work. He has built lots of homes in your area - 2 in River Farms, 1 in River Ranch, and 1 on Richland Rd.

email me and I will give you his number and directions to my place and a few of the others he has built (my email is in my previous post)

• g_mama1
    15 years ago

My husband and I are starting our DG Home, the "Kellswater" in August. We have made some changes to cut down on the cost which is ok because we really like the layout of the floorplan. We are squaring up the house and making a straight roof line for a typical ranch house. The roof is supposed to have a 12/12 pitch (which I like)but now we are being told if we want to cut more cost we should make the roof a 6/12. My husband thinks that the 6/12 pitch would look ok. I am not happy with that because I would lose the window/light in the foyer. I think that the lowest I would want to go would be an 8/12 because I could still keep the window, but I am wondering if it will look ok with an 8/12 pitch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

I don't like steep roofs. They may look good, but they require the husband to risk his neck if something needs doing up there. Either that or pay someone. Being the husband, I have an aversion to steep roofs.

That said, I don't think that design would work with a 6/12 roof. I don't see how the bonus room could exist with such a shallow roof. Certainly, it would be much smaller. It may not be possible to build the stairs to code with a 6/12, without moving them. That may change other things.

An 8/12 or 9/12 might work, although the bonus room would still be smaller. The stairs would likely have to move toward the front of the house. I assume there is an inswing door at the foot of the stairs, which is good. That probably would have to change to an outswing, which wouldn't be as good.

You really need to find out what the change would do functionally and aethsetically. I would suggest getting a really good house design software package, or find someone that has one, and try that for visuals, etc. Just for the roofline, all you would need to enter is the exterior walls. Of course, there is a bit of a learning curve for these programs. For the better ones, it can be pretty steep.

Which is where we came in. :-)

• routey
    15 years ago

We used a Donald Gardner Craftsman style house plan. We love it. Name of plan is the Larking. We are in the trim and painting stage. Has anyone else used the Larking plan?

• chasing3girls
    15 years ago

We bought the Capistrano 3 months ago. We've since decided to build another house/plan. If anyone is interested...we would sell the plans and license for $700 (paid $1030).

• house3
    15 years ago

Chasing3girls the plan is ver nice. I wish the DH would allow me to build that baby! What plan have you decided on now?

• darriea
    15 years ago

Has anyone built the Thornhill?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thornhill

• firemanldw
    15 years ago

Hi all I am interested in building the Derbyville. I saw a few pics on here but would love to have more. If anyone can help please do so. Thanks.

• lostinplans
    14 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of the Kellswater? I would love to see them!

• miranda6690
    14 years ago

Hi! We are building the Whitney right now. We made a few changes including adding a 1/2 bath under the stairs and removing a wall in the dining room. It's turning out to be a beautiful house!

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

We are in the (slow-moving) finishing stage of the DG Evangeline plan. We added a walk-out basement and made some layout changes to the kitchen and master bath.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Husband? Yeah, right. He's scared of heights. I repaired the roof 8 months pregnant....

Anyhow, I like the plan, but PLEASE consider something more appropriate than the Palladian windows. They're called "Palladian" for a reason--they were only built in Palladian buildings for centuries. I saw a lovely substitution here of one higher rectangular window flanked by smaller ones. It looked great--and it isn't the HUGE timestamp that a Palladian window on a farmhouse is.

• dee1_2010
    14 years ago

Hi There,
    My husband and I are thinking of building the Cedar Ridge home plan. If anyone has built this home I would love to see pictures. Thanks

• harleywood
    13 years ago

I am intrested in the Capistrano house plans if they are for still for sale. jpfred@bellsouth.net

• kjs78333
    13 years ago

hi miranda,
    I want to build the Whitney also. If you have any pics I would love to see how it's turning out. Thanks much! K78333@msn.com

• janet12312
    13 years ago

Does anyone have photos of the Kellswater? Would love to see them.

• freenrgy2
    13 years ago

Looking for any information on "The Harmony Point" or "The Ives" home plan. Anyone build? If so, can you link pics or email to mkeys67@comcast.net?

• papersailship
    13 years ago

Has anyone built the Irby yet? Care to show some pictures of the finished product? My family is seriously considering this house plan so it would be nice to see one that's already built.

• tparker6_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Has anyone built The Holloway floorplan by Donald Gardner? I would love to see some pictures before I build. Please email me at tparker6@hotmail.com. Thanks.

• kjones40
    11 years ago

I noticed that this is an old thread but was wondering if there are any out there that ended up building the Kellswater Donald Gardner plan..... was especially interested in G Mama post as we are considering reducing the pitch as well..... please please please need help from anyone familiar with this plan or has pictures.... ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED karen_jones41@yahoo.com

• kramerkel
    11 years ago

Building the Southerland right now

• treed67
    11 years ago

Do any of you that built a Fitzgerald live within driving distance of Tennessee? If so would you possibly let my wife and I see your house. She has put me on the search of finding one to walk through. If so please email me. We would be willing to buy your family supper and would really like to meet someone that has been through the process. Treed67@hotmail.com

• Gene-Gene
    11 years ago

I recently purchased Don Gardner plans for $7600, after customizing costs and wouldn't do it again because it wasn't a pleasant experience. In fact, I just registered a complaint with the BBB after exhausted efforts to resolve my dispute with them. During the entire design process, we told our DAG designer one thing and she did another. For example, the original plan called for a bathroom near the rear entry of the room and, based on some changes we made, she relocated the bathroom to the far side of the house even though we expressed to keep it near the original location. After several versions back and forth, which you pay for by the hour, the house kept getting bigger so I had to design the downstairs to accommodate this request myself. The bathroom design was nothing like that of the pictures I sent her and it took several versions for her to get it near right. When the plans were finally finished, they charged me an additional $1400 for roof changes that I believed were a part of the original quote. Upon receiving the plans and submitting them to several general contractors for a quote, numerous errors were pointed out; some of which were quite costly mistakes. For example, in the downstairs and upstairs, we requested 9' and 10' fold away doors for our upstairs and downstairs great rooms, which overlook a gorgeous lake view, that cost $17,000 each. The designer put 8' doors in the plan and made them more narrow than we spoke about. Upon bringing this matter to her attention, she resent out a revised plan but only sent 1 copy when we purchased 5. Anyone with a brain and has built a custom home before knows that one copy of the plan is impossible to work with and, DAG does not permit you to copy their plans. To rectify the roof charges of the $1400, they gave me a credit and the CAD program so that an architect could change the plan and errors. Since then, more errors have been pointed out and, after attempting to get quotes from a number of GC's, the numbers were coming in so high that we went to speak to a local architect. He stated that DAG did not design the house to be cost effective in any way and used excessive cement driving the home price up to very high $ per square foot. When I asked DAG to make changes they wouldn't and they could care less that after spending the sort of $ I did on the plan, now I had to spend an additional $2,000 - $3,000 to be able to afford to build the home. When I learned of these issues, I asked DAG to refund me the difference between what I would have paid for the CAD program, around $3400, so that I could use the balance to fix the plan. They refused and have not responded to an email since then. I believe in this economy and for as costly it is to build a new home with inflation for commodities, they should work with their customers to not only make a home efficient and cost effective, but also make changes if problems are incurred. I will post the outcome of the BBB result, which might I add I have never gone to the BBB to register a complaint in my life. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue will get resolved.

• jks122201
    11 years ago

Has anyone built the derbyville? if so, i would love to see pictures and did you make any modifications?

thanks

• gr8rtst
    11 years ago

Anyone wanna share their experience with a Luxembourg plan home? We are getting ready to order it and wanted any feedback on any issues.

• Ralph_Md
    10 years ago

Anyone built the Edgewater, Flagler, Evangeline ? its down to these 3 finally !!! help

• MikeB2012
    10 years ago

Hi Ralph,
    We really like the Evangeline plan and are considering building this plan with a walk-out basement in California. If you locate anyone who has built this plan or one similar...we'd like to hear how smoothly things went and see photos too. Let's compare notes and keep in touch...

Mike
    mbondi@microsemi.com

• Pam Latka
    8 years ago

Anyone built the DG evangeline plan? any photos and feedback to share?

• Farmhouse Family
    7 years ago

Any photos of the Capistrano?

• Veronica Layne
    7 years ago

We are building the zeller, but have made so many changes it only looks like it from the outside.

• J Wells
    6 years ago

Interested in the Callaway plan. Has anyone build this plan by chance? Can't find any discussion whatsoever, makes us a little nervous. Would greatly appreciate any feedback/photos. TIA

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures