Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain interior doors on-site or controlled environment?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 14:49

Also, does Sherwin Williams make decent stain? Builder is suggesting we do Sherwin Williams on-site instead of custom stain at the place he normally uses because they never got back to me and we want to get moving with millwork. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain interior doors on-site or controlled environment?

Are you doing stained door trim? We had our doors and trim stained on-site. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

o

no, all painted trim. the library will be wood paneling and wood coffered ceiling. doesn't dust get into the stain?

o

What kind of top coat are you planning on. That is where I would be concerned about the dust. I wouldn't do site finish if I could avoid it. If it is just the doors and the frames are already installed what would it hold up as far as millwork?

o

no idea about a top coat. i'm not informed about this type of thing, the painter was going to do all of this for us since the stain company our builder normally uses is somehow too busy. what kind of product will make the stained cherry doors look most like historic wood?

o

Ours were done in the living room, which by that time was a controlled environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here