Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjforward

Exterior Load Bearing Studs cut short

pjforward
10 years ago

We are having a home built and walked through it after it was framed and noticed that a few 2x6 load bearing studs along the west exterior wall were cut short. The worst culprit is included in the picture. They also cut short a lot of the horizontal boards that keep the studs correctly spaced. I am extremely frustrated about this and I just want to make sure Im not overreacting before I speak to the builder. Note: We also live in an area with extremely cold winters where we have heavy freezing/thawing every year that can cause more house shifting over time.

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Did you measure, are they too sort or the others too long? Either way have them changes as that is not correct at all.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

dam duplicate post

This post was edited by millworkman on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 16:51

• robin0919
    10 years ago

That's totally Unacceptable !! Has the building inspector been there yet?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Are the short studs full height? What is the actual stud spacing where the short studs are located?

Horizontal blocking is likely to be for a different purpose than keeping the studs correctly spaced.

• worthy
    10 years ago

If it's short, it's not bearing; sister in new studs.

Remove the blocking (horizontal boards) and put in new ones.

This kind of thing happens all the time and you'd never notice once the drywall is on. However, it should be corrected.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

National consensus building codes and "accepted engineer practice" require that bearing wall studs be continuous from plate to plate which means they must touch the plates top and bottom.

• dgruzew
    10 years ago

I dont think this would pass an inspection ? Does your municpality do regular inspections on the contruction ?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I had suspected this stud was supporting a window rough sill because most studs are gang cut to the same length so it is virtually impossible to have one shorter than the one next to it. But without a full photo it is impossible to tell. If it is just under a window it might be possible to shim it since it doesn't carry much of a gravity load.