Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammrj_gw

Where to buy cheap lighting fixtures?

sammrj
10 years ago

Any recommended websites? Any retail stores? We live in NWA. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• CamG
    10 years ago

The cheapest we found was Home Depot. Get a Lowes 10% off coupon in the change of address package from the Post Office (the packet, not just the flier), and Home Depot will usually honor it. We bought a chandelier off Amazon, but Home Depot beat everyone for lower-end fixtures, and it was really nice to have lots and lots of reviews for all the ceiling fans we bought. Our fans may be cheap, but they had tons of outstanding reviews, which is a lot more than I can say for the more expensive ones! You can shop online or at the store, although we weren't able to get them to take the coupon online so we did it at the store (and they do charge sales tax online, unlike a lot of places, but it's not the sales tax of the state you are in, and it was lower for me than our state's sales tax).

• wishiwasinoz
    10 years ago

Joss & Main has been great! It is a daily deal site owned by Wayfair. I have gotten some really great deals on lighting that could not be priced lower per manufacturer stipulations. I.e. Ferg had a fixture priced at say $250 (contractor pricing) & I got it for $190. They usually don't share the brand name (again because they are pricing items less than what the manufacturers allow), but I have always been able to figure it out, either doing an image search on Google or using the description & comparing it to Wayfair. Recently I got outdoor sconces for the garage that were priced everywhere else online for $220 & I got them for $80. It is hit or miss & you need to watch the sales, but it's kind of fun hunting for the deals.

• olivesmom
    10 years ago

The Allen and Roth line at Lowes has some pretty nice looking stuff (some PB & RH. knock-offs, some industrial/craftsman/schoolhouse style) for great prices, if you like the look.

• User
    10 years ago

Be aware that cheap lighting fixtures from Home Depot are not always a permanent resolution of your lighting needs.

If they are going to be temporary fixtures or you are willing to install them, uninstall them, return them, and install the replacements yourself, Home Depot is a great place to buy them since you can see them and judge how easily they might break. I would never buy any light fixture on the internet. Never buy lamps (bulbs) from any box store; always buy them from an electrical supply house if you want them to fulfill their advertised service life.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I had good luck with shopping for light fixtures at Overstock.com. For example, I picked up five Kichler art-glass mini-pendants for my kitchen island for less than $25 each (including shipping charges!) Overstock had originally priced them at something like $59 but when I saw them and grabbed them, they were on sale for 60% off from Overstock's original price.

At the time, my local lighting store had a very similar Kichler pendant light for sale at over $250! Overstock did not say that these were Kichler lights on their website but when the lights arrived, they were in Kichler boxes with the Kichler warranty cards still inside. And when I mailed in the warranty cards, Kichler accepted them. Just for comparison, here is a picture of one of my lights and linked below is a very similar Kichler light currently being sold for $210 at another online company that indicates the list price is $315. And you can bet that if my local lighting store has this newest version, they've got a price tag on it of at least $275.

Apparently Kichler - and maybe most other lighting companies - changes their styles a little bit every year or so and gets rid of the old inventory by selling it off cheap to companies like Overstock.com. Then, eventually Overstock.com puts anything they've had in stock for awhile on sale too, so the discounts get even deeper.

So, $25 for the model from last year (or maybe from 2 or 3 years back) versus $200+ for the very latest version??? I'll take last year's model - Thank you very much!

BTW - With Overstock, oftentimes if you purchase enough at one time, they'll have free shipping and handling. And thus far, I've never had a problem with customer service with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: VERY similar light from same manufacturer for $210

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

I'll toss out a website I've used twice in the last few months. No spammer here tho so don't even accuse me of it. Reason I found this particular retailer is I had the unhappy revelation that one of the ceiling fans I *really* wanted was discontinued. So instead of just picking a different fan I started searching all over the web for anyone that might have it in stock.
    I Found the following retailer that had a number of them left. They do seem to specialize in fixtures that are discontinued so be aware in advance, but they have some steals. The retail price at a large online lighting store that hadn't yet pulled the product page was $394 on the fan, I paid 190. Also both purchases I have done through this company had a bit of damage when they arrived. The ceiling fan shade while in its original packing and well protected had chipped somehow. The second light had the shipper ignore the this side up and fragile signs and part of the frame had poked through and been drug about scraping off the finish. Both pieces were replaced by QDL with no issue or hassle. I figure that alone deserves them a nod on this website (although it will probably up my competition for the good deals on the site LOL).

Here is a link that might be useful: Quality Discount Lighting

• dpusa
    10 years ago

Hands down http://www.lightingdirect.com/

We used it for everything but our ceiling fans (Home Depot) and one kitchen light which we got 75% off at Home Depot online.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I just purchased 2 bathroom fixtures for a house we are doing a minor remodel on. I was in a time crunch and went to the only source we had in our little town--Menards. Good enough for this house, but I wouldn't put them in my own home. Quality seemed lacking. They were definitely cheap...price wise .

• tinmer
    10 years ago

I bought all of my lights at destinationlighting.com. We are still in the building phase so I am not sure how they look installed yet but I really love my lights and I feel that they were really reasonable on prices. I would buy from them again.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

I totally agree with this:
    "â¢Posted by Renovator8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 20:58

Be aware that cheap lighting fixtures from Home Depot are not always a permanent resolution of your lighting needs.
    If they are going to be temporary fixtures or you are willing to install them, uninstall them, return them, and install the replacements yourself, Home Depot is a great place to buy them since you can see them and judge how easily they might break. I would never buy any light fixture on the internet. Never buy lamps (bulbs) from any box store; always buy them from an electrical supply house if you want them to fulfill their advertised service life."

I sold lighting for 6 years. I currently bought 99% of my lighting for our new home from build.com b/c they had manufacturers that I was familiar with and know their customer service. Kichler is one of my favorites. You'll pay more, but you won't regret it. I changed my exterior fixtures on my garage 14 years ago. They look like they did the day I did it. All the other coach lights in the neighborhood look like crud. It just depends on what you want to pay for.

• ldharris
    4 years ago

We have moved for my husband's job about every 3 years so have replaced lights in alot of homes. It is
    disheartening that prices on lights are fixed with none or little competition! In addition to that the mark up is huge!
    I refuse to pay these unreasonable prices. LightingNewYork does provide discounted pricing but for that reason some manufacturers will not make their lights available to them. I will continue to search for competitive retail lighting stores.