Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Should this AC vent be in middle of the kitchen?

bridget helm
9 years ago

(It's a renovation and this vent isn't on the plans)

The vent in question is not the one closest to camera, but the one in the distance. You can see a rectangle hole in between 2 can lights near the hood vent duct thingy. I thought they were going to put the AC vent in the center of the kitchen not jammed in between the cans. Am I being too particular, am I wrong about proper location? Or should I ask them to move it?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of it

The cabinets on that wall will be perfectly symmetrical with the hood in between so I'm getting hung up on the symettry of things on the ceiling. But the center can light isnt perfectly centered with the hood anyway -- it's a few inches off. Maybe I'm overthinking things?? Cabs are staying as are, but I'm not liking that vent

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

If it's not in the plans, why was it added? I agree it doesn't look right there, but I'd be more concerned about what's going to be going on around it. Will air blowing out of that vent in that location be functional? What is right under it? Will the air from the vent be blowing directly onto you when you are standing in a critical location (prep, sink), etc.?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Are there vents on opposite side of the room in the same location if so they may be trying to keep it balanced.
    Talk up now if you have questions! It's your home, if you don't like it see what options are available.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There was a vent where the middle can went in, So they closed off - not sure if that's the technical term - that vent when they installed the cans. So we needed to put a vent in the kitchen to replace the one that was closed off/taken by the can. I said in the middle of the kitchen assuming they would think in the middle middle not in the middle of the cans.

I know I know, one should NEVER assume with construction, but this was an unexpected little hiccup amongst many others that come with renovating an old house.

Maybe it should be in line with the one in the breakfast room area- the one closest to the camera

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are the only 2 vents in a 12x24 kitchen (10x12 of it is the breakfast room)

The vent will be blowing at the stove

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ravencajun, I'm from new Iberia. Small world! We lived in Broussard a while then moved back to Baton Rouge. I miss Lafayette- good people!

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping post. Any more opinions

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Since you asked... I'll give you an opinion and our experience--

I prefer when a room is well-ventilated. Sometimes that means, the vent is NOT in the center of the room. Where is the return vent, for example? You want to consider how the air will flow.

To me, it appears it will blow not *at* the stove/cooktop, but parallel to it. And, to me, from what limited is shown, that makes good sense.

What is beyond that doorway? What is behind the view of the camera?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Your HVAC professional should explain to you the reasoning behind the position. Systems have to be balanced for air flow, line size, and room size and flow. Placing the vent elsewhere could potentially make the room have one end be too drafty, or hot, or unbalance the pressure in the trunk systems, leading to poor airflow for other rooms down the line. It's not at all a straightforward aesthetic decision.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I figured - that there's reasoning behind it. Just checking.

Behind the camera is a small mud/locker room and a powder room. The cased opening to the right of the camera goes to a 25x25 den with 10' ceilings and the door straight ahead goes to a 12x12 "kid den" --we don't allow TVs on their bedrooms.

The return air vent is in the den in the wall about 25 feet away from the kitchen.

The other rooms that that return vent works for are a 12x17 formal dining room and a 12x 10 foyer.

The rest of the house is beyond the den on a separate AC system.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I'm not an HVAC designer but these things look like wall registers instead of ceiling diffusers and seem unlikely to be very effective in distributing air in the room especially to the outside wall. Also supply air is usually held farther away from an exhaust hood.

• Jbrig
    9 years ago

Bmh4796,
    Having no HVAC knowledge, I have no advice for you, but wanted to send you a hello from the southwest corner of the state :-)

Renovator8, I believe the OP is in Louisiana. As a fellow Louisianan, I can assure you that those are standard ceiling vents around down here :-)