Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of 12'' vs. 18'' Tile Floors?

Posted by jlnick (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 14:16

Hello,

We're building a stock home and are in the process of picking out our options. I would like 18'' tile floors, but it seems excessively expensive vs. the 12''. The 12'' is $8948, where as the 18'' is $16,500.

I looked up the tile online, and for the 18'' for 1000 square feet would be $5390 (at retail price, not even sale or wholesale price). I realize that a lot of the cost is the labor, but is $11,000 an excessive upcharge for the labor? Especially since they likely get the tile cheaper than the price I found online for the same brand/size/color.

I'm not sure what to do. I really think the 18'' will look so much better, but it's hard to stomach paying almost twice the price. I know the bigger tile is more expensive, but you should also need less of it, right? Is it that much harder to lay?

Does anyone know approximately how much it'd cost to lay 1000 square feet of 18'' tile? We're in the DC area suburbs, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of 12'' vs. 18'' Tile Floors?

What is the substrate?

In a small space large tile often looks cut up and is more difficult to keep presentable. It is also more likely to crack from movement in the substrate.

o

Hmm...I'm not sure. Would the substrate affect the cost? The space is fairly large, 9'x16'' breakfast area, 13.5'x20' kitchen, plus a morning room and mud room. So I think the space is big enough to accommodate the large tile. Though obviously I know very little about houses - this is our first build. Thanks for the info.

o

It is harder to lay, usually needs more trimming, so there is more waste, and needs a more rigid substrate.

All that can add to the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here