Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrh

New updated plan

Reena Heyer
9 years ago

Hi after taking suggestions of posters I am attaching an updated plan. Hopefully the resolution is ok, and attached is a link for photobucket.

Overview: Medditerranean style house in Northern California. Single story's zero threshold. Front of the house faces true south. The brown represents counter tops and islands in the kitchen. In the offices it represents desks. In the theater a bar and in the hallway open shelving, benches in mud room. In one bedroom brown in the corner is a window bench. The family room has a collapsible wall of windows and that's represented by the accordion lines. Vaulted ceiling in family room so light enters from very high celestory windows on south and north side.

Changes: We are changing the casita so it has a more ADA complaint bathroom and also that it should be accessible from the house. Bedroom 3 we are considering switching the closet and bath. I am not happy with the master layout. Was hoping to not share a wall with kids bathroom and also wish it was more east-west direction rathe than north to south. Trying to do this without adding more hallway and sq feet.

We are looking for feedback with the flow of things. I know it's hard to read dimensions but if you guys can give some feed back on flow etc

Thanks and appreciate all comments.

Attached is link for via google image. Once you click on the link on the lower right hand side the small icon will give you a higher resolution picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa High resolution link

This post was edited by RMSH on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 14:30

Comments (5)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Do you happen to have an elevation? I am wondering what the roof is going to look like with a the corners on this house.

Very different to place an office where it is only accessible by walking through the playroom.

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My architect wanted to wait till we have a semi agreed up plan before doing the roof and elevations. Although he has been working on it and hence kept saying that the master configuration is best for the roofline. I don't have elevations yet but will update when I do.

The office is for my wife who wants to keep an eye on the two little ones while she does work. Later it maybe turned into a study and combined with the playroom.

Keep the feedback coming

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any feedback?

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

Your plan is fascinating and so spacious.

It takes some study to absorb it all and find a flow from space to space. All those exterior corners are going to make for quite a busy (and expensive) roof. I'm curious to know are those sliding doors on three sides of the center courtyard?

As to your master bedroom, sharing a wall with the home theater seems more of a potential issue than sharing a wall with the adjacent kid's bathroom. You could play with flipping the master bath and bedroom - to gain an eastward wall for your bedroom, and put your bathroom next to the theater. The master bedroom would then share with the child's room, and you could easily swap their bath and closet. You could rearrange that whole "wing".

The curved dining room feels very luxurious. Will there be any furniture/buffet pieces to place along those walls?

I don't quite understand the purpose of the casita. Is that like an in-law suite? (I'm not from CA)

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yellowducky thanks for the ideas. The masteroom being flipped so that the bathroom backs up to the theater makes more sense. I am going go play around with the design.

The dining room has enought room for a dining table that we have been considering picking with ample of walk around room.

The center courtyard has three French doors. The casita is basically an in-law suite.

Thanks for looking. I'll keep updating it as we go along including the elevations once I get them