Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling and Wall Texture

Posted by sriirvine (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 13:59

Hello,

We are in the final stages of our large home addition (yay!) and we have to decide on wall and ceiling texture. We were all set on having smooth walls and ceilings, but I did more research and found out a few things that might complicate things:

1. Our GC says that that it's a level 4 smooth. From other posts, it looks like level 5 is the pinacle of smoothness? Does level 4 just mean drywall seams are mudded 3 times and then the skim coat? Sorry if my terms are incorrect? Is there anything to look out for when they do this? I've already seen a couple of houses that he has done and the smooth walls look pretty good.

2. I heard that one potential problem with smooth ceilings is that the drywall could sag over time and show the seams. This something to worry about? My GC said he doesn't think so especially since the joists were the drywall is screwed into is manufactured so they are pretty stable (except in case of water damage of course)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling and Wall Texture

Every house I've ever lived in had smooth ceilings. This is a bit of a regional thing as I've discovered. I can tell you with that I've never seen actual drywall sag. I've seen tape pull away from the edges near where the wall meets the ceiling over time as the house expands/contracts with the seasons. That can happen no matter the drywall finish. I've seen it in textured ceilings also.

o
RE: Ceiling and Wall Texture

No drywall ceiling should sag unless it is subjected to unusual humidity on a regular basis. It should never be in a steam shower. If a ceiling sagged the use of a texture would not keep it from looking bad. Be aware that contractors like textured ceilings because it saves them a lot of work. Make them do what you want. Textured finishes are a matter of style and taste rather than construction issues.

I would go smooth. In New England the different levels of finish are unheard of. Drywall joints are simply taped or a veneer plaster system is used (blueboard). IMHO joint compound is too soft and shrinks too much to be an effective smooth skim coat finish. Unfortunately, veneer plaster/blueboard is not available in many parts of the US for reasons I have never understood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here