Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

staples in the TigerPaw

Kiwigem
9 years ago

So, I found this when I went over to look at our roof today (standing seam galvalume which is half installed).
So, in addition to being kind of comical, just how bad is this?

Comments (7)

• LOTO
    9 years ago

Galvalume probably recommends this because the metal staples might have a reaction with the bottom side of the roof sheeting and possibly cause rust.
    I have put up lots of metal buildings and screwed the galvalume to 2x4 purlins which were nailed right to the trusses and had no rust from the nail heads 30 years later.
    Just a guess on the reasoning.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I do not think I would find that comical at all. They obviously have a reason and I would venture a guess that LOTO is spot on. I would stop them and have them do it correctly. If there is an issue down the road there is the roof manufacturers out and no warranty on the product, period end of the discussion in their mind.Even if the staple shave nothing to do with it, the manufacturers instructions were not follows

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It actually isn't the metal roofing manufacturer that objects to the staples but rather the tiger paw synthetic felt. My understanding is that they can't use plastic caps under standing seam roof because they'll show through. I guess my main concern is whether there is some interaction between the roofing felt and the staples that I need to worry about?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You would need to check with the roofing manufacturer but from what I know different metals MUST be separated or you will get a reaction and if that happens your warranty will be void. What do the instructions from the roof manufacturer state?

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    9 years ago

I would get on the phone to the customer support folks at both the metal roofing manufacturer AND the tiger paw manufacturer, explain the situation and ask for their guidance.

I can tell you for a fact that if materials are not installed per the manufacturer's requirements, then your warranty for that material will be voided. Obviously the tiger paw is not being installed per the instructions written right on the face of the material. But you would need to read the warranty on the TigerPaw synthetic underlayment to find out if using only plastic cap nails or plastic cap staples is merely a recommendation or a warranty REQUIREMENT. Given the prominent directions right on the product itself, I'll lay odds this is a warranty requirement.

In telling you that plastic cap nails will show thru the standing seam galvalume, your roofer may be telling you the absolute truth, or he may be telling you something that he believes is true, or he may simply be giving you a plausible excuse for doing things his way (cheaper) rather than the right way. You won't know until you talk to the manufacturer of the galvalume.

Underlayment and roofing materials are designed to work together. So it seems unlikely to me that the underlayment would have a warranty requirement for its installation that would not work well with the final roofing material. Typically in those situations, one or both materials manufacturers will tell you NOT to use the other product with their product. If the two won't work together, then you may need to change to a different underlayment.

At this point tho, with part of the galvalume already on, if you find out that the tiger paw could have been installed using plastic cap nails/staples without these things showing thru the galvalume, are you willing to insist that your roofer take the materials off and start over doing it right? This will be expensive and I guarantee your roofer will fight against doing it. If you're not willing to have that fight and stick to your guns till you win it, then it might be best to just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Only you can make that call.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! Well, I spoke to a rep from GAF in New Jersey and an engineer from Fabral in PA. It sounds as though this isn't as dire as I feared. The "no staples" violation negates the warranty relating to blowing off the deck before the roof is installed. Lucky for me they aren't installing in high winds. The Fabral engineer said he didn't think I needed to worry about a galvanic reaction with the staples.
    So I got to breathe a sigh of relief about the roof before I made them reinstall the windows...but that's another story.

• mrken30
    6 years ago

Why can't contractors follow instructions? I now have a roof covered 70% in new shingles with the roof deck protection installed incorrectly. Which may or may not leak.