Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worthyfromgardenweb

Brands/Products That I'd Use Again

worthy
16 years ago

Gotta have a counterpoint!

My most pleasant surprise over the last few years have been Danze plumbing fixtures. Low-priced vs. competition but very durable and reliable. (Free replacement cartridges too.)

Danze Opulence single-handle faucet in copper, Mexican copper vessel, granite counter, Canac Cabinetry, accessories from Bombay Furniture

Comments (68)

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

I definitely would use Superior Walls again for the basement. And definitely would go 10' high again. Ductwork and plumbing are really up out of the way.

• arebella
    16 years ago

This is a really great thread. Please keep it going. I'm soaking up all your wisdom.

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

For anyone in the Puget Sound area, our cabinets came from Superior Custom Cabinets. They have a lifetime warranty. After a year, I had a problem with a latch on one drawer and the finish wearing on the door under the sink.

They sent a guy out who replaced the broken latch, and touched up the stain on the door. No charge at all (not even for labor or travel). He told me the cabinets had a lifetime warranty and to call whenever I had a problem.

• suzyqtexas
    16 years ago

We used name brand appliances, Pella windows, Kohler plumbing fixtures..etc

Great quality- Fusion door handles and plumbing fixtures

Exceptional Quality: All small town east TX vendors--
    Cabinet Maker -quality, layout and great ideas and price
    Custom Door Shop - The doors make the house!!
    Kemiko Concret Floor Stain
    Local sawmill - Cypress ceiling and beams and
    countertop made from the bottom of a boxcar

• coysmum
    16 years ago

Ditto Zone8 Grandma for Superior Custom Cabinets if you live in the Pacific Northwest. We used them in our current house kitchen remodel and absolutely love them. We also recommended them to another family member's remodel and they fell in love as well.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I have Superior Cabs here in Montana, too. Like them very much: sturdy, great looking, no issues in over 5 years.

Not sure I'll use them again, just because I'm not sure some of the custom features I want will be available.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

I'd use Ikea faucets again in a heartbeat. I've seen two in use, and if you like the style, I've never seen quality at that price-point before. There's also a huge following for their cabinets, which I'll use when 'redo kitchen' spools up on the honey-do ticker-tape list.

• sweet_tea
    16 years ago

American Whirlpool garden tub.

Ditto on the Sherwin Williams Super Paint for exterior. That stuff is great.

• pfennig
    16 years ago

IKEA cabinets are great. I used them in my remodel, and plan to use them again if I build from scratch.

Stepco prefinished strand woven bamboo flooring is teh bomb! Replaced almost all my carpet with it in existing house, and it's durable as he**. Much harder than the oak and maple samples I got that were twice as expensive, and it's gorgeous. Horizontal and Vertical bamboo floors we sampled were pretty soft, but strand woven is harder and prettier than anything else we saw. Installer was only 'meh', but the product has exceeded our expectations.

Fireclay farm sink in the kitchen - like this much better than any std multi-bowl sink, and like it better than the enameled iron farm sink my mother put in her house.

And a final recommendation for the cost-conscious out there (IKEA should have been a tip off as to my leanings), try granite tile counter tops rather than slab. Floor & Decor stores carry a good selection of granite varieties with matching bull-nose pieces. I did the work myself, they look great, and are much much cheaper than slabs. I'll use them again for sure.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

suzyqtexas, I'm from a small town in East Texas too :) Are you the suzyq of the suzyQ's diner in Mineola?
    Monica (from the kit & bath forums)

• chiroptera_mama
    16 years ago

1" foam over external sheathing  we are loving the draft free rooms, reduced noise, and lower temperatures.

Denim insulation in the walls. We did this DIY and it was super easy to install. We also love not having fiberglass in the walls and the recycled and local manufacturing aspects of the product.

Blow in cellulose in the attic  we also did this ourselves and it was easier than batts would have been (and much much cheaper than foam which we would have liked to use if our money tree would just bear fruit ;)

American Standard faucets. We have them in the current abode and they still look new, are easy to clean, and work like a charm. Perfect for the tight budget.

Habitat for Humanity resale store  many items for the house were purchased here, they love to see us coming through the gate.

ICAT can lights. So nice when it came time to seal the attic (thanks Erla!).

Impact windows. They allow us to not use shutters (no room on the dormers) and take care of the requirements for windows at the base of a stairwell and near a bathtub  both of which we have and were checked by the county inspector.

Kiln dried lumber + time to acclimate before drywall  no nail pops so far (now IÂm going to go home and see them everywhere ;)

Advantech for sub floor. We had lots of water in the beginning. Too often the water sat on the floor for a day or two. It has been exposed for 1 ½ years and there are no issues now that the final flooring is going in.

Lumber Liquidator butcher block countertops. A big thanks to the person discussing them over in kitchens (I have forgotten the name). We love them and they are very affordable.

Drywall shopvac bags. What a huge difference they make in the performance of the shopvac cleaning up behind our slacker sheetrockers (DH and I) A big thanks to the people on the dark side who brought these to my attention.

Geothermal HVAC and ERV Â in our cooling climate it was a great choice. Plus free hot water to fill up my claw foot tub.

Tuff-Rib metal roof by Eagle Metals. Lower cooling bills plus extra wind resistance for hurricane season. We like how it looks too.

We havenÂt used our appliances yet so I canÂt speak to their performance, but we love the deals we got on them  both in the bent& dent section and the construction discount center. The cooktop, DW, and double ovens are Kenmore and the refrigerator is Samsung. We've always had good luck with Kenmore so far so we hope for this to continue with t he new stuff :)

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

Kohler products (but only toilets with the new flushing system)
    Andersen 400 windows
    Carrier Infinity Furnace
    Kitchenaid convection oven
    Hubbardton Forge lights
    Kitchenaid sxs refrigerator with ice in the door
    Silestone
    Dura Supreme cabinets
    Blanco stainless steel sink
    Certainteed fiber cement siding (prefinished)

• txgal06
    16 years ago

worthy-glad to hear you like the Danze faucets. I have one (wall mount) in the master at the claw foot tub and I really like it. The plumber didn't like it or trust the quality. What does he know?!

Rohl Allia fireclay sink (LOVE the single bowl!)
    Copper prep sink
    Moen Showhouse faucet
    SW Superpaint
    stained concrete
    Icynene insulation
    Jeremiah Co lighting
    KA 48" built in refrigerator (so much room)

• sasha.welling
    15 years ago

I would have to say my Toto Drake toilet. I've had it for awhile now and it's absolutely amazing! Great flush, no stains.. all the right stuff. I would definitely use Toto again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Toilets

• jessdmiller
    15 years ago

For those of you that used Pella Windows - vinyl or wood? I've heard bad things but I'm thinking it was only the wood - and I'd kind of like to use Pella.

• home_nw
    15 years ago

- Caesarstone quartz counters
    - Canyon Creek cabinets
    - Top Knobs cabinet hardware
    - Milgard windows
    - Fireplace Xtrordinaire (both wood-burning & propane models)
    - White oak flooring in CD character grade
    - Godfrey Hirst wool wall-to-wall carpeting
    - Mico Seashore kitchen faucets
    - Bosch dishwashers
    - Sub-Zero side-by-side refrigerator
    - Sharp drawer microwave
    - GE Spacesaver microwave
    - Enkeboll wood trims
    - Pearl wood mantels
    - CDM and Chemcrest decorative trims
    - Azak exterior trim
    - El Dorado stone in "Country Rubble"
    - HardiShingles
    - Solatube
    - Amarr Classica garage doors
    - Benjamin Moore paint (interior & exterior)

• pennylaney
    15 years ago

From new house experience (only 1 month!), so my opinions could change, but I'm VERY happy so far:
    - Hardiplank siding
    - Danze faucets
    - Bosch dishwasher
    - Thermatru doors
    - Bertazzoni gas range

From old house experience (17 years; it's possible these things aren't being made as well now!):
    - Jeldwen (were Caradco back then) windows
    - Jenn-air electric range
    - Kenmore microwave
    - Duron paint
    - American Standard toilets

• jeniferrlynne
    15 years ago

bumping for any other good suggestions!

• aprile421
    15 years ago

Things I love in my new house:

Danze Faucets
    Beso Lighting
    Lutron switches (dimmers,ceiling fan controls,whole house panels) These are great quality and IMHO look so much nicer that the other switches we had.
    Honeywell digital thermastat with touch screen. The electrician special ordered this for us and I really think it makes a difference.
    Our cork flooring in the mud room. I put it in there to try it out because I wasn't too familiar with cork floors and I wanted to test it first. I love it and it is so pretty and really durable. We have had appliances delivered and drug across it and it held up fine no scratches or dents. I will be putting more in my house.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Great thread! I'm happy to see confirmation about many things I've chosen for our new house.

We used these in the house we built in 2001, and are using them again in this house:

Toto Carlyle toilets; Washlet -- absolutely non-negotiable
    VacuFlo central vac system -- absolutely non-negotiable
    Pella windows
    Not a brand, but a style: All drawer base cabinets

AND -- we will NOT use again: Bosch tankless water heater. Maybe it wasn't sized correctly, or something, but every shower longer than 3 minutes gave us a rude awakening -- a minute of cold water before heating up again.

• hazmatt
    14 years ago

I'm new to this site, but this seems like a really useful thread to keep running. We're just beginning our build (hoping to break ground in October) so I don't have anything useful to add yet, but I'm sure others do...

• carterinms
    14 years ago

- Solatubes (but next time make sure the painters cover the hole before they paint)

- Timer switch from Westside Wholesale. Don't remember the brand, but the switch has 3 positions - on, off, and timer. "On" turns on the fan and the light together, "off" turns them both off, and "timer" turns the fan on for a set amount of time (20 minutes).

- Delta Pilar faucet

- Cree LED can light - expensive, but is supposed to last 50,000 hours. It's above the porch landing where it would take a 15' tall ladder to change the bulb. It puts out plenty of light, unlike the much cheaper LED's I bought at Sams Club.

• worthy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let's add a couple of items, now with four years service on them: Emtek sandcast bronze door hardware (except for the locking pins, which become loose); Eureka central vacuum--for replacing a failed control board free four years after the unit was bought, no receipt necessary.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

We've been in almost three years:

BiltBest extruded aluminum clad casement windows with wood interior (linked below) Also have their patio doors on the lower level.

Copper flashing, gutters and downspouts
    Toto commodes
    RH Bistro faucets by Newport Brass
    NuTone recessed Fan/Light Combo
    Emtek sandcast bronze tubular exterior door hardware
    Emtek Tuscany interior door hardware
    tumbled travertine flooring - so easy to keep clean
    Trane
    Rohl Country kitchen faucet
    Dishdrawers - but I'd only order a single next time and not the double
    GE Monogram Dual Fuel range
    Hubbarton Forge interior light fixtures
    Quorum exterior light fixtures
    Stone. Nothing like the real thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: BiltBest

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

UA engineered wood flooring -Hickory, wide plank.
    Bosch Dishwasher
    Toto ultramax sanigard toilets
    Panasonic Whispersoft exhaust fans
    Zodiaq quartz countertop, true to store sample, unlike Wilson quartz which turned out darker and more opaque).
    Heatilator 42" direct vent fireplace.
    Electrolux Induction cooktop, 30" oven w/convection and Electrolux exhaust fan.
    Grohe ladylux kitchen faucet.
    Rohl fireclay, double kitchen sink.
    Kraftmaid all wood cabinets - prompt service when a couple of pieces of wood didn't match up to installer's satisfaction.
    Trane heatpump- super quiet.
    Vacuflo - great factory service.

WOULD NOT buy BiltBest windows again, terrible factory service, seems as though their factory reps are always quitting. We have been waiting since September for them to fix windows!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

What problem are you having with them, Emily? Which ones did you get?

I know 5 others in 1M+ homes who used the ones like we did w/out any problems. Our GC is currently building a 5M+ home and using them w/o issues.

• rosefolly
    14 years ago

Arroyo Craftsman lighting fixtures -- beautiful and well made.

Kolbe & Kolbe Heritage casement windows

Borrego solar system

• gary1227
    14 years ago

Hardiplank siding (primed, painted onsite)
    Azak exterior trim
    Eagle windows and doors
    Brazillon Redwood Decking
    Closed cell spray foam insulation
    FHP (Florida Heat Pump) ground source Geothermal Heating/AC
    Pex plumbing systems
    DuraSupreme Cabinetry
    Caeserstone
    American Olean Catarina Marble look ceramic/porcelain tile
    Toto Toilets and Airjet Tubs
    Danze faucets and shower/tub fixtures
    Nutone Bath Fans
    Karona solid core wood interior doors
    Lennox direct vent gas fireplaces
    Triad ceiling and wall speakers
    Generac whole house generators
    Whirlpool Duet washer/dryers
    Miele Dishwashers
    Bosch Dual Fuel Range & Convection Microwave
    Kitchenaid french door refrigerator

• Denise Evans
    14 years ago

Wolf 36" gas cook top
    Wolf Built In Ovens - 30"
    Wolf Microwave
    Sub Zero 736 refrigerator
    Sub Zero 424 wine cooler
    Arroyo Craftsman Light Fixtures
    Old California Light Fixtures
    Schoolhouse Electric Light Fixtures
    Kohler kitchen and bath fixtures - including faucets
    Fridgidaire Washer/Dryer

DO NOT RECOMMEND:
    Fisher/Paykel Dish Drawers - not large enough

• eyegolf
    14 years ago

SaniJet tub - whirlpool jetted tub with no piping for old tub water to sit in and mold. These jets are removeable and can be put in dishwasher to clean. The water goes in and gets jetted out with no tubing involved. Love it!
    Hide-a-hose VacUFLo central vac system
    Gagganau steam convection oven- pricey but oh so worth it

• stmad
    13 years ago

bump

• momto4inor
    13 years ago

bump- love to hear more!

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

back to the top - this is valuable information and saves asnwering these questions over and over.

Please gives updates and add more.

• laurie57
    13 years ago

Hardiplank
    Samsung french door fridge
    GE 36" induction cooktop
    Advantech subflooring
    Toto toilets

• remysmom
    13 years ago

bumpty-bump

• sis3
    13 years ago

4 years after building

Bosch dishwashers, washer and dryer
    Imperium Central Vac with Hide A Hose
    Fully automated Bryant/Carrier HVAC with 7 zones
    Monogram refrigerator drawers
    SubZero refrigerator
    Lutron Maestro dimmers everywhere
    Natural slate tiles in the gallery and dining room
    Hudson Reed faucets
    In floor pool cleaning system
    Never MT pumps for in counter dish detergent dispensers

• coloradomomof5
    13 years ago

Kohler Farm Sink
    Bosch diswashers
    Chicago Faucet kettle filler
    Price Pfister ORB faucets
    hideadoor.com "secret room door"
    Heatilator fireplaces
    The Iron Shop spiral staircase
    Trex
    Silestone

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    13 years ago

Nottingham Brass faucets from Signature Hardware
    Cast iron claw foot tub (also from Signature Hardware)
    Blanco Silgranite sinks
    Silestone counter tops
    Fireplace Xtrodinaire (gas direct-vent with unbelievably realistic-looking logs and flame)

• sherilynn
    13 years ago

Five years after building:

5-Toto toilets
    Radiant Barrier
    All interior doors 36" wide at minimum
    All hallways at least 48" wide at minimum
    granite, KitchenAid warming drawer, two under counter fridges...one with an ice maker, 48" Thermador range with 12" grill and 12" griddle (next time only 4 burners and a 24" griddle)
    Love the raised fireplace
    Love having a long Master bath with the shower at the end of the 19' bathroom and sinks at the other end. Now I can shower with privacy and not being 'watched' and my DH can shave at the same time & definitely a separate 'water closet'/commode room!
    Zoned thermostats
    Travertine
    Laundry with 2 washers and 2 dryers
    Low E Argon Gas, triple paned vinyl windows
    2x6" framing
    50 year shingles
    I love wood floors, but would not do Brazilian Cherry again because it is too sensitive to any light and darkens from ANY light source. Area rugs leave 'tan lines' on the wood because light does not hit underneath rugs.

I also love my deep front and back porches.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

bump

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

We haven't moved in yet, but the things that get my vote, and great reviews from installers are:

PROGRESS LIGHTING. Got these for our basement baths, they were rediculously cheap, and they look great and the electrician said they were made very well.

ARMSTRONG ALTURA LUXURY VINYL TILE: This went in the utility areas, and basement baths. This stuff is indestructible, and looks fabulous. We had them lay it without grout, and it looks seamless.

DANZE KITCHEN FAUCET: Looks beautiful. And made very well so the plumber says.

NATURAL CHARACTER HICKORY FLOORS: What can I say. Wow!

OFF-THE-SHELF GRANITE COUNTERTOPS: For the basement baths. 48" with undermount sink was $70. Look fab!!

CERTAINTEED IMPRESSIONS SHAKE SIDING: This is probably my favorite thing about the house so far.

STAIRS FROM GARAGE TO BASEMENT: How would we ever live without it.

ALL OUR CUSTOM CABINETRY: Albert (our cabinet maker) you've surpassed our expectations again.

Things I'm excited to try: Microwave drawer, garbage disposal air switch, outlet in vanity drawer for hair dryer.

I'll report later on the geothermal. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's worth the $$.

• gilmoregal
    12 years ago

Bumping this thread for updated info.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Bumping for more!

• dyno
    11 years ago

Bertazzoni cook top - works and looks great

Thermador range hood - cheap in the grey market lol

Nuheat heated floor mats and controller

Kohler Poise stainless kitchen sink - makes my cheap chinese one look like a cheap chinese one

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertazzoni

• lilibethc
    11 years ago

So glad this thread is still here. Did a whole house renovation 8 years ago and just bought a new (to me) house, and about to do it again. Stuff that has held up well and I will definitely be looking at closely again this time around are:

- Rohl fireclay sink (nice and quiet, plenty big to hide lots of dirty dishes in the sink; I might get 2 this time!)
    - Pacific Crest cabinets (despite some issues in their shipping (some banged up cabinets when they arrived), the company stood behind their product and made things right and they have held up quite well -- and everyone comments on how nice they look)
    - Prefinished hardwood floors (wouldn't get Brazilian cherry again because they are too sensitive to light, but with two 50-60lb dogs running around, they have held up remarkably well, especially compared to friends who had site-finished floors. now I just need to find another wood species I like as well)
    - Kohler Vinnata faucet (after all this time, I looked around at faucets again the other day and this is still the most gracefully sculptural faucet profile; also I had no problems with this at all.)
    - GE Monogram 36" range, 30" fridge, island hood (the range cooked great and was a breeze to clean, the fridge had no issues whatsoever with the icemaker/water dispenser, and the range, though a real b*tch to install has been a real workhorse around our house; surprisingly had very few issues with these appliances)
    - Miele dishwasher (this is the one with the top silverware rack; it was called Incognito back 8 years ago and don't know what it's called now. It cleans great and once we figured out how to use the salt/softener thingy left no streaks on our glasses)
    - Kinawa white granite (husband likes the veins in this and I like whiteness, and we this is as close as we can get to white carrara w/o the maintenance headaches)
    - Never M-T soap dispenser (what a great tip I got from this site 8 years ago. I give this to friends now, and they think it's genius)
    - Air Switch for disposal (another great tip I got from this site; likely ubiquitous now but it's still wonderful)
    - Kohler's Memoirs collection stately pedestal and drop-in sinks, and toilet (very classic looking)

Looking forward to another fun remodel

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Great to see this thread bumped up for those of us who have not seen it. We are part way through our build, but so far, I am really happy with our windows and window wells -- details below.

1)Our window wells (Wolfa brand from Alberta Canada)-- yes I know that is a funny thing to comment on. However, our window wells let in so much more light due to shape and are cream in colour so they are easier on the eyes from inside and outside compared to standard metal window wells.

2)I am happy with the fiberglass windows we chose -- although they were a big upgrade. I like them so much better than the good qualify vinyl windows we have in the front of the house (our project was a back addition). The mullions on the fiberglass windows are so much thinner than vinyl which gives much more glass. The brand we chose was Thermotech Fiberglass and the windows were triple glazed, but the Fibertec brand ones looked equally as great. Both of these companies are based in Canada go figure from OntarioMom. We also like our partly fiberglass French door from Marvin -- Integrity brand (wood on inside and fiberglass on outside). Our windows were almost warm to the touch this winter. The vinyl ones we have in the front, were colder to the touch.

Carol

• docmomma
    11 years ago

How about blinds? Good-quality faux wood ones vs. inexpensive real wood ones? I've heard good things about JC Penney -- what about Ikea? My hubby has Parkinson's, so either we have to get a handyman to install them, or find a place where we can buy and have them install and not get robbed!!! Any recommendations there would also be appreciated!
    Thanks!

• kaza99
    11 years ago

Which is good brand for kitchen accessories/bastets? also for heavy wardrobe doors which brand hinges to use? Are Hettich hinges a good brand to use for heavy wardrobe doors?

Any good recommendations are appreciated!

• dollymibella
    10 years ago

I lurked here 5 years ago when I did my Kitchen & Bath remodels. And am about to do it again in another apartment. Learned lots of things, I'd like to share.

KWC Kitchen Faucet
    Rohl Fireclay undermount*
    Plugmould*
    Rev a shelf trash & recycling pullouts*
    Insinkerator cover control*
    Liebherr fridge
    Bosch DW*
    Ikea boxes for cabinets with custom door and drawer fronts from Scherr's*
    Old Schoolhouse light fixtures

RH Medicine Cabinet (gorgeous)*
    RH (Newport Brass) wide spread faucet
    RH Bath Accessories*
    RH Sconces*
    Kohler Archer undermount sink
    Warmly Yours heat mat (underneath the tile)*

*will use these in the new remodel as well. Not using the others for a change in style.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

eyegolf - I am scouring the message board for current reviews of the Sanijet. Do you still like it? How is the strength of the jets and is it quiet? Thanks!