Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggie9597

Returning Newbie...Needs plan Critique

aggie9597
15 years ago

After several years, hello again!

Hubby and I have purchased 10 acres in the country and would like your input on our house plan. It is the Southern Living Idea House from 2007 (Georgia, Kousa Creek). I know Southern Living plans have pros and cons and would like to know whay you guys see. We know we will have to cut down the sq. footage to stay around the 3200 range. Other than that, can you help?

Exterior Photos and Specs:

http://www.slhouseplans.com/exec/action/plans/browsemode/details/filter/PlnID.24687/hspos/slnet/page/1/planid/24687/section/homeplans

Ground Floor:

http://www.slhouseplans.com/exec/action/planimage/hspos/slnet/PlnMdID/203379/section/homeplans

Upper Floor:

http://www.slhouseplans.com/exec/action/planimage/hspos/slnet/PlnMdID/203415/section/homeplans

Thank you SO MUCH in advance!

Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Kousa Creek

Comments (19)

• chisue
    15 years ago

I don't see any glaring problems with the interior -- maybe the walk-through kitchen.

I really dislike the exterior. Sorry.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

With just a quick glance, I think it's great! I can't see anything wrong with it! It's different and interesting-without being "odd" if you know what I mean! I always liked Southern Living plans! Good luck!

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

I'm not going to mince words. The exterior is hideous. It defines butt ugly.

It looks like someone grafted that columned porch and deck onto what used to be an attractive house, or perhaps it is a sci-fi prop from the film "Where Dimensions Meet," where two completely different houses collided in sub-space and materialized somewhere over Atlanta.

Live long and prosper..........but don't build that house.

• littlebug5
    15 years ago

I'm with frog hopper. Remember that game Mr. PotatoHead? Where you could put a bunch of mismatched things together, the weirder the better? That's what the outside of this house looks like.

Inside, I like the mudroom and separate laundry. But there's an awful lot of doors banging against each other in the mudroom/laundry room/bathroom/hallway to the kitchen.

• solie
    15 years ago

It seems like a larger (but not more functional), tarted-up version of Chestnut Hill. I think they tried to use elements of traditional southern architecture, and then make it "mountain-y" - and I suspect that casual element is what makes it seem appropriate for Texas.

I don't hate it and I think it might look good on acreage in TX. But I don't think the interior layout is that great. It's a pretty big house, but I don't see any WOW features. I also think it's distinctiveness works against it. Everyone is going to know you built the 2007 house (a house that many people seem to dislike) and that it's not a truly custom home, designed for your lot. And I don't like the idea of changing the exterior finishes too much. I feel that if you are paying for the designer's expertise then you should like their finishes (for the most part).

If this were simply a very distinctive original house I would say that maybe my eye simply isn't sophisticated anough to appreciate it. But look at the Chestnet Hill Plan and see if you don't think that they simply tweaked it and made it flashier. Chestnut Hill is one of their best sellers (with good reason, IMHO) and they are probably trying to get more mileage out of it. I don't know who actually draws up these plans, but the name John Tee has been on so many of them, for so long. I think they are coasting on this one.

• stephanie93
    15 years ago

Don't get discouraged--it's a great house. The rooms are large and casual. Perfect for raising kids. Are you planning on building the basement like the house in Atlanta??

• chapnc
    15 years ago

I see a few problem areas.

To get into the living area from the garage, you have to navigate a door into the mudroom, then what looks to be a narrow passage past the stairs, then thru a door into a hallway, then thru a set of double doors (why?) into the kitchen, then thru the kitchen. You're in trouble if anyone is sitting at the island bar, as it looks like that passage is quite narrow too.

The dining room is barely big enough to server as a proper dining room, and it's the only eating space besides the kitchen island. To compound the problem, the traffic path to the back porch goes thru the dining room. I can see a round table and maybe 4 chairs, but not much else. You're going to be very pressed to furnish that area and make it usable.

To get to the half-bath, you have to go thru the kitchen again, so it looks like the full bath across from the study is going to become the de facto powder room. I assume this full bath exists so that the study can be used as a bedroom, but that full bath doesn't offer much in the way of privacy for that arrangement. And if it's used often as a powder room, then the occupant of that bedroom is going to need to keep that bath tidy.

There seems to be an awful lot of double doors in places where a single door would work better. In particular, I would put a single door on the master bath and widen the water closet a bit so it wouldn't feel so cramped.

And this seems to be a lot of sq ft to end up with only 3 bedrooms.

I *do* like the walk-in closet and private bath for one of the upstairs bedrooms, that's sweet.

And I agree with others that the outside looks more than a bit busy and thrown-together from the parts bin.

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Well, as I said before: Why would you want a garage up front and ontop of your house when you have ten acres?

This design is meant for a crowded suburban lot.

ps....I thought you bought 20 acres?

• charliedawg
    15 years ago

I don't like the exterior at all either. It looks like a house that was built years ago and then renovated and added onto one too many times.

A long time ago somebody on here built a house with a similar exterior but it looked much better, actually it looked great. The exterior finishes, window/door placements flowed perfectly.

I'm trying to remember who it was. I'll let you know if I find it.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Yeah... her other post says 20 acres.
    Wonder what they are actually getting....

• neesie
    15 years ago

I also dislike the exterior (sorry). For a new house, the exterior looks like a remodel job. I also love porches, but would rather go to the porch off the kitchen. Then again, your kitchen looks like a major traffic pattern which is really going to be uncomfortable once you actually live there.

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, again. Original poster here. This post was actually from several weeks ago,and gained well over 70 reponses to my surprise! Unfortunately, the nature of the resonses turned negative and rude, and I decided then that I would no longer be part of this "helpful forum." However, the recent responses have been kind and informative so I just wanted to offer an update.

Yes, we have 20 acres. I agree that the house was designed for a narrow suburban lot, so we are thinking of angling the garage so from a 90 degree angel to a 45 degree angle and adding a breeze way between the garage and house.

The kitchen does appear a little small and cramped to me, so I'm hoping to take some of the square footage fromt the Living Room and add to the kitchen/dining.

The downstairs study will be a 4th bedroom.

One thing I'm trying to work around is that two side of the upstairs floor are open to the first floor. I think this would be horrible for the noise level. Any suggestions?

I know the exterior is displeasing to some, but I still really like it. I'm kind of an ecclectic and I don't like to be boxed into one category (traditional, southern, colonial, etc.) To me this is a perfect blend of the beach houses we fell in love with in Watercolor, Florida and the craftsman style homes that I'm typically drawn to.

Thank you all for your comments! Keep 'em coming......just please remain respectful.

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Individual taste is what makes this world interesting. Still, if resell is important to you or your children, some accommodation for the taste of the larger world makes sense.

Most people, Texans perhaps especially, prefer the traditional. A strange angle... say 45 degrees... is not very traditional. If your buildable area is wide enough, I would detach the garage and put it to the side of the home and slightly towards the back. Then have a sweeping driveway that comes in to garage doors that are only visible from the side.

If having the garage a little towards the back blocks a gorgeous view that direction, then I'd have the detached garage DIRECTLY off the side and not set back.

Having the garage in front or even at a 45 degree angle, still blocks much of the view from that wonderful front porch. Put the garage to the side or back so you can take advantage of the views.

• stephanie93
    15 years ago

When we visited the home, the kitchen seemed fine. I guess because it is so open to dining and family. I love the fact that there is no "formal" dining. It just adds to its casual appeal. Our biggest concern when we considered it was that in the home in Atlanta they did not use the bonus space on the second floor. We really wanted a playroom. Our kids are 4 and 8. The open landing was great. I was hoping to use that as "my space" for scrapbooking, etc. The bonus space above the garage was so large and square footage was a concern we really didn't think we could add both bonus spaces. I guess the main reason we decided to go with Walker's Bluff is that although we loved Kousa, it just did not seem to give us the number of rooms we wanted for the square footage. I am sure though that if you have your heart set on the plan a local architect could work out the kinks. It is amazing what someone can do. Good Luck and don't let the negative comments deter you--the house is absolutely beautiful in person!

• eventhecatisaboy
    15 years ago

Have you seen the Midwest Living 2007 Idea home? I just have a feeling you might like it. Like the home you posted, the outside is "busy", so it isn't for everyone. I like it although on your lot you don't need an L shaped home, but if it's your taste, so be it. The interior is very beautiful.

There are many home plans that have angled garages. One of my favorites is with Living Concepts homeplans. Several of their designs are similar. Start with Edenbridge, Richeliu(?),Lynbrook, Ledoux. Not sure of your budget or square footage desire, but just to warn you these were out of my price range I'm afraid. I think there are a few on this site that may be building one of those too. Check out their website if you haven't already. Might not be the style you are looking for, but still beautiful in my opinion and you can get ideas.

As for this site, don't get discouraged. There are so many terrific people here. If someone is telling you a truth that might sting a little don't take it to heart. They are offering advice that you may not want to hear, but it's free, usually right and will help you to improve your home--invaluable really--you'll learn a lot! (And you've got to admit, it's a heck of a lot better coming from someone here than a relative! LOL!).

Good luck and stick around!

Here is a link that might be useful: Idea House

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stephanie93:

Would you be willing to let me pick your brain a bit? My email is cbeeler@grandecom.net if you'd like to communicate through email.

Husband wants to fly to Georgia to visit this home in person (we're in Texas) but your first-hand account may be just as good!

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TO EVENTHECATISABOY:

I am thrilled! YOU GET ME!!! Loved the Idea house and will definitely look over your plan suggestions.......

THANK YOU! I still love the Kousa Creek house, but will always look for ways to improve the original design to make it my own.....

• stephanie93
    15 years ago

Sounds exactly like my hubby. He was the reason we went to see the house in the first place. I will email you and be happy to convey any info I have.

• chapnc
    15 years ago

You mentioned that you're thinking of changing the garage to a 45 degree angle and maybe adding a breezeway. Have it rendered for you so you can see what the front elevation would look like. It may be better.

If you're thinking of making a change like that, then I take it you're treating this as a "semi-custom" build instead of strictly following the plan. In that case, could you have your builder redraw it moving the left outside wall out by 2 or even 3 feet? If you could do that, and add that space to the traffic path thru the mudroom and kitchen, you could solve one of this plan's major weaknesses, which is the narrow passage in front of the island/bar. Also try to get another foot or two in front of the lower step leading up the the bonus over the garage. Those 2 traffic bottlenecks are my main gripes with this plan, but moving the garage and the outside wall would fix it. I would like this plan a lot better then, and I'm sure you would like living in it more.