Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's September 2013! How's your build progressing?

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:47

Kicking it off! So many of you are so close! Can't wait to enjoy more eye candy.

We should move dirt in a couple of weeks. I hope to have a couple of pics to contribute this month!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's September 2013! How's your build progressing?

I can't believe I finally can post in a "progressing" thread! We have a hole and footings right now! Yay!

o

Yay Andry! Awesome!

Carsonheim - where are you at? Aren't you close as well?

o

We are hoping to break ground in the next few weeks. We submitted for permits 9 weeks ago, after 10 months of designing and working out all the details. As soon as the county releases the permits we are good to go! The average wait is where we are now so I am hoping to see them in hand very shortly.

o

Well we have a roof..not quite a completed roof but I'm pretty pleased. Was afraid I was going to hate the roofline on this enormously funny shaped lot (worth the sacrifice for being the best lot view-wise in the development) but now that I've seen it, I honestly can't complain much. The middle-front turret was a last minute addition over our spiral stair...builders idea. I think it was a good one.
GWSept1 photo Sept1.jpg
GWSept2 photo sept2.jpg

o

We took possession of our land yesterday (Aug 31st). We are giving ourselves two years to build our home. You should be hearing lots from me lol!! Getting a lot of wonderful information on this forum. Thanks!

o

autumn - we will be breaking ground in a few weeks, if not by early October. Our bid sets were just sent out this week, so once we get those back in and start selecting subs, we'll start to get at it! hoorah!

o

PS -- I bought my kitchen sink yesterday :)

o

Our pool is dug and is getting "shot" on Tuesday!

o

Master Bath tile - there will be vanities on either side...love the "pin dot" layout!

o

My favorite room at the moment...Laundry room...peaceful with a durable slate look floor...

o

spotty-cool pool shape and love the pin dot floor.

carsonheim-we have our bids back and just selected subs (well except I am struggling with the kitchen but I have a bit more time for that one). Nice sink!

mfatt-everyone on here seems to have had long waits for permits - I was really nervous but thankfully we got ours within a week. I know the neighboring township takes MUCH longer! Thankful we didn't need any extra drainage or DEQ type permits.

o

Carsonheim-

Love your sink! Can I ask where you found it?

Thanks!!

o

Spotty- Love the pin dot floor tile. I can't wait to get started so I can post pics!

o

Herewe - Ebay!

Here is a link that might be useful: fab-glorious copper sink :)

o

carsonheim-

Thanks so much!!

o

Hi, All!
I'm new here so this is my first time participating. I love this thread and love the building forum in general. I'm learning so much! I closed on my construction loan in June, but ridiculous amounts of rain have put my build very far behind. We're just now at the floor system stage. I don't have the most up-to-date picture but all the sill plates and floor joists are in. Next is the subfloor, woohoo! I'll be happy when I get to post the pretty stuff like Spotty and carsonheim.

o

Autumn, MFatt...thank you!

Love that sink - thanks for the link!

Welcome Ronda! Lookin' good so far! You will be in the "pretty" stage before you know it!

Pam

o

Perimeter tile & back filling :) Garage floor will be next, should start framing in a week & half or so!!

o

Hello everyone, we broke ground on 8/22 on our 3000 sq ft ranch with full basement and bonus attic space. We are building an ICF home on a 4 acre wooded lot.

Spottythecat - where did you buy your tile? I am thinking of something like that for our laundry also.

Here is our progess so far, this is the basement which will have a walk out door that we added to the plan at the last minute and I am so glad we did.

photo 20130902_153415.jpeg

o

@Spotty: I'm planning slate or brick floors in my mudroom entry/laundry. Are yours porcelain? I love your master bath floor. Where did you get that tile? Can't wait to see more!

o

I've almost got all my shingles on!! Then house-wrap and a basement floor come next! Gotta get this place sealed up before winter hits! Yikes!

o

hi everyone. this is my first time participating too. we bought our lot in october 2012 and closed on our construction loan july 25th. dirt work started on july 31st and i'm so frustrated with how little progress they're making.

kljrph - happy for you but disheartened to see your progress in nearly a month less time than ours.

we have the dirt moved and the pad ready. the next phase is rough plumbing. they dug the plumbing trenches on friday, but then the pipe guys didn't show up saturday and we got a couple hours of rain on monday so now they have to redig the trenches which is another week setback.

so basically 36 days into the project, and all they've finished is compacting the dirt on our site and surveying the foundation outlines. :(

anyone else get off to a slow start and make up time later?

since it's my first post in this type of thread, some details about our build:

Where: 1 acre lot in north dallas area
What: 3800 sf single story main house (4 bed, 4 bath) as well as a 1000 sf (2 bed 1 bath) detached inlaw house that my parents will live in full time.
Style: completely custom, builder dubbed our elevation aesthetic as "French eclectic" which made me chuckle but we're going with that description for now.

o

Spotty- I love that pool. I so wish we had room for one.

I have been lurking for a while, but finally have pictures of our build!

o

View from the top

o

Hello everyone!!!

Fun to see all the progress!

loribug - your block is so nice and straight and neat!!!

maggiepie - We had to de-muck our lot (lakefront in FL) and it took about a month - we had a huge 10-12 foot hole dug in the ground that was about 100 x 80 feet and pumps ran day and night because they hit water! You will make up for lost time!!

NickC- thanks for sharing your photos - it looks like you have a huge house going in! Keep posting!

For my tile -
Master Bath is actually a porcelain with a rectified edge (it looks JUST like Crema Marfil marble!) I am not going to tell anyone around here it's porcelain! It's called Marmol Select Polished. They laid it with very skinny grout lines to mimic marble. I love the fact that it doesn't need special care like marble.

Laundry room - It is called Afrika Nairobi - again porcelain and it mimics slate. It comes in several colors, we selected Nairobi. I also used this in my pool bath...I will post more pictures.

For my "drop zone" area when you enter from my garage, we are using Old Chicago Brick.

Happy building!!
Pam

o

Thanks Spotty :)

o

Thanks Spotty- will do. It looked so small when I saw the foundation it worried me a bit. We are going out this weekend so hopefully there will be more progress!

o

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a roller coaster....Tile guy called and said the tile we picked out was no longer available. Next day we were out tile hunting. New tile cost a little more, but at the end of the day I'm really liking it better than the original choice. Next problem was water. As in rain water coming in through an area that wasn't properly flashed. Problem has been fixed and site manager will be opening ceiling to make sure insulation is dry.

Tiling has begun and it's looking great. Concrete guys came out to prep and now we have another issue. As they hurried about, someone ran over my well head. Yikes! Luckily, the well is still operational and will not cause a delay with tiling.

Cabinets will be delivered on Tuesday, and trim carpenters will begin work on Wednesday. I'm anxious for all to be done so I can have a home again.

o

Great progress everyone... We're moving ahead with our house, slowly... but progressing. I'm happy with our contractor and his willingness to make us happy. I've had to work through a couple issues already, but we've been pleased with how they've been handled. Hopefully, this will continue.

The weather here has been fantastic. Last weekend I finally gave in and took my son and nephew fishing. We are having a fish fry for my Mother's 80th birthday and needed some fish. The three blue cats are pretty big. It's hard to tell from the picture but the one on the left weighed 65 lbs. The other two were 38 and 23 lbs... add that to the ones in the tub and we've got plenty of fish now for our big family.

photo IMG_188511_zpse69c42d5.jpg

Unfortunately, we were in line for almost three weeks to get to this point... I was so happy to show up in time to see them finally getting our floor poured. Once they were done our contractor hit it pretty hard and amazed us with getting the basement walled in and laid out.

photo IMG_17721_zps8cdf6128.jpg

photo IMG_18151_zps1ada0ad6.jpg

I've walked through this plan in my mind thousands of times. We've been on hold for so long. To my amazement the first time I walked into the semi-framed basement I realized I needed to make changes to simplify the travel pattern and to maximize usage. After getting rid of a closet and a door, we decided to add an additional door into a storage area. This simple fix made so much sense and I absolutely didn't see it on the plan. I can't wait to see how the main level fares when it is being laid out...

photo IMG_18571_zps472de4bd.jpg

This is the final day we had the contractor on our site. He has another house in the works and needed to move the crew to that house for a week and a half. I'm glad he finished the garage floor before he left. This is the suspended concrete floor in the upstairs garage and by pouring the floor it should keep moisture out of the basement garage and living area...

photo IMG_18771_zps2d6cb5d2.jpg

photo IMG_18541_zps3a51fde8.jpg

Nothing sexy going on as of yet, but it is progress and I'll take all I can get. Good luck to all of my fellow GW-ers on your construction projects. I hope you all come in under budget!

Saftgeek-

o

Tile flooring complete, cabinets are here!

o

Trim has started in kitchen and dining room!

o

We're really getting to the fun and exciting stage!

o

Exterior is all finished!!

o

Hough - I had the same thing happen with my tile too...and I like my new choice much better than the first! Maybe it was meant to be! Lucky that well head is ok!

saftgeek - 65lbs is a HUGE catfish! I didn't think they got that big! What a fun 80th birthday for Mom! Your concrete is sooo nice and smooth! I have the same photo of that sort of fan machine that keeps the concrete smooth while it dries!

Meg444- Love your exterior colors...I love brown and your dormers are just perfect! Are you putting a drape in them to keep light out? We were just talking about that with our builder...any help would be great!
I think I picked the same lights as you! Do those clear globes have a crackle/bubbly glass? Love them! I have one for my office area!

Today they painted the exterior...I will post some pictures! Pool got "shot" too! And my front steps are almost done!

Pam

o

Exterior painting started...

o

Office trim is up....still need to select the grass cloth that will go on the ceiling....

o

Old Chicago Brick front steps/porch

o

Pool bath..slate look tile with Tomei Pebble floor....

o

Everyone's progress looks great! I couldn't help myself so I drove by this morning and snapped a pic. They are further along than I expected.

o

We just moved into our newly built home everything is great. I will post pictures when we get everything straighten out in here. Thanks to everyone for all the help I was given. This forum is priceless.

o

Great Room

o

Still waiting for minor use permit. i have a feeling this will be one of those situations of waiting, waiting, waiting, followed by "hurry up and find builders and make decisions on interior finishes". Love seeing everyone else's progress!

o

Finished our driveway, seeded 500 feet of the banks the day before a nice 1/4-inch rain fell--perfect! Will be getting gravel this week. Site is ready and well will be drilled Monday. Signing contract with builder following that. Hope to begin construction within a couple of weeks. It seems like we're finally making alot of progress now after a year of preparing the site and developing plans. Exciting time!

o

WOW loessismore - what a beautiful approach that's going to be!

o

Thank you dlm! It's come a long way since we started. Here's what it looked like last year--on the left side of the picture where the boat is parked is where our new driveway is now. Big change! We cleared a ton of invasive brush and have the sore backs to prove it, but it will be great in the end.

o

We're just getting started, site work begins next week. Very excited to actually be moving forward!

o

So excited to be posting here with a first construction update from our side. We are doing what a major gut renovation and addition to our house. we are doing about 900 sqft addition to the existing 1300 sqft home. The existing house is going to be taken down to the studs (will be getting new electrical/plumbing/new drywall and new exterior stucco, floor, roof).

We started on 08/22/13 and are done with the demolition part and will begin the excavation for the foundation next week. We placed an order for our front entry door today.

Spotty and Meg, Looks like you are almost there. Both your houses look Great.

Autumn4, Your permit process seems like a breeze compared to our which took 9 weeks. Hope to see more progress pictures from you soon.

loessismore, Your lot is beautiful.

o

kljrph......are you going ICF all the way to the roof line?

o

I am so jealous of fast permits. We are on week 10 I believe and still no permits....

o

Some progress on our exterior:
The front porch posts are in place:
front porch posts

and they're working on the window trim and siding.
windows

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

o

@Robin, yes we are doing ICF up to the roof line.

o

We are hoping to have occupancy by Friday! What a long process, still have lots to hammer out with our builder though and our attorney is out of state until next week so we are hoping that doesn't hold up occupancy! Carpet is going in tomorrow, as well electric inspection and plumbing is tomorrow and occupancy Thursday/Friday! Can't wait to get in and put this process behind us!

Basement rec room

Foyer and office

Media room

Sorry for the picture quality. iPhone!

I'm so excited to see everybody else progress! :-)

o

degcds- Your house is amazing! I love it!

o

degcds - Gorgeous house. Like all the trim work and love the staircase. Curious, where did you build?

o

Nick- thanks so much! I see you have a foundation! Has framing started yet? :-)

Aries- thanks! We build on ten acres just east of columbus ohio. Johnstown ohio, we fell in love with the land and it was wooded but we had enough space to have our dream vineyard!

o

What a surprise! The excavator was supposed to break ground on Friday and apparently had a schedule change and actually dug the whole yesterday! It sure is nice to start out with a good suprise.

I am sure we will have our share of not so nice ones through the life of the build but for now we are kicking off on a good note! :)

o

Almost done framing, still needs the bonus room/garage finished and the front porch, which will run the entire length of the front. Hoping to have the house wrapped and roofed by the end of the week.

o

degcds-love the pool, the banister, the garage exterior lights... Very nice!

o

eacx2- looking good! Moving along fast!!

Autumn - yes, a nice surprise!!!

Degcds - just gorgeous!!! Inside and out gorgeous! How long did it take for your copper to age? We will have a front copper roof and I am curious how long yours has been installed? Your trim, paint colors, details, lighting are beautiful!!!

Zone- I really like your front entry...your house is looking good!!!

Loessismore- beautiful driveway...that will really set the tone for the house!!!

My cabinets are going in Friday! I called the cabinet co because the gas dry I selected has been discontinued! They told me not to worry, they allowed extra space for a different size to fit and by the way, install is Friday! A great surprise!!

Pam

o

Old Chicago Brick outdoor fireplace...

o

Kitchen ceiling...still working on it...

o

Rear covered lanai tongue and groove ceiling...it will be stained soon! Pecky cycpress for character...

o

2 weeks away from projected finish! Still tons to do!

o

Stainless hood still has white protective wrap - still waiting for backsplash to go up in a week.

o

Bathtub for 2

o

Shower for 2

o

Front

o

Thanks guys! We are hoping to move on Tuesday! I can't wait!

Spotty- our copper has started to turn pretty quick, the front porch roof was put on about a month ago, maybe a month and a half. Right after it was installed it rained for two weeks on and off so I think that helped it along! I LOVE copper so much! Your house is looking so beautiful!! I love your wood work in your ceilings! Forgive me but what does your exterior look like? Can't wait to see your progress!

o

Degcds: I recognize the ELK cambridge light, did you use any other pieces of the set? Love the look of it, and your home is beautiful! Have a safe move!

o

equallydivided- Beautiful home inside and out! Love the tub and shower for two!! Nice tile!

I feel like I could build 8 houses and they could all be a different style! I love everything I see here!

degcds...I will post exterior shots...

Pam

o

Front porch...waiting for the cast stone inserts that will separate the stone from the wood column...

o

Spotty, what kind of stone it that? My porch columns are going to be like that also only with hand hewn barn beams on top :)

We haven't picked out stone yet...and really really really need to get on the ball lol

o

Equally divided- I love your kitchen! Would you tell me what wood and color you used? Also, what will your floor be?

o

kemm - The wood is mahogany and the stain color is valled old world (definitely has red in it) with a black glaze. The Island is same wood, in a bisque (cream) paint and black glaze.

The floors are 5 1/2" wide wood with a lot of dark grain thrown in ;)

We will stain the floor in an OBVIOUS brown stain so they contrast with the kitchen cabinets.

When I go back to the house, I'll get around to being able to tell you the name brand name equivalent stain! It most closely resembles the Cabot brand.

o

Loribug...it's real Arkansas stone.... It's very thick and it has corner and straight pieces...they chistle it to make the pieces smaller.

We almost did the Coronado stone but once we saw the real deal, we had to have it! Our back porch is all columns too...

Our beams are a pecky cypress...they beat up the edges a little to make them look old...they will be stained a chestnut color - waiting to get samples....

Pam

o

It feels good to know that your house is almost completed. Wish you good luck with that. My home is also under progress and hope fully it will be completed within two months. Lets wait and hope for the best.

o

degcds-did you already say and I missed it? What color paint do you have in your foyer - it is very striking against you trim and that banister. Enjoy the big move!

hough-thanks for the pic. I am hoping to avoid your unfortunate well damage by putting caution tape around a few stakes and a tree that surround our well. I hope it's plenty visitble now!

o

degcds, Congratulations on finishing your house. It is full of so many great details. Can't wait to see more pictures. Good luck with the move on Tuesday

Spotty, Love your kitchen and Lanai ceiling ideas.

Equallydivided, Love your cabinets and the tub for two. Can you give me more details on the tub? What brand/model. Also what is the dimensions of your bathroom?

No progress on our end the last few days but they are supposed to the foundation work next week. So hopefully that will move forward as planned.

o

We have water...again! Well guy said our damage was the worse he'd seen in a long time. He had to dig down 5-6 feet to fix the damaged casing.
 photo Well_zpsd377dfd1.jpg
Site manager must have been worried about septic field with concrete guys coming back - he put caution tape along the edge.
 photo Caution_zpsd68f4cbe.jpg
Tile work is complete. Real happy with how it turned out.
Kitchen Floor
 photo KitchenFloor_zpsbc1dddb2.jpg
Main Bath
 photo MainBath2_zps9490024f.jpg
Master Bath
 photo MasterBath2_zpsd79d46f4.jpg

Cabinets were supposed to be delivered early this week, but we are still waiting. Concrete for covered patio was poured, but still waiting on front porch. Oh how I hate waiting....

Managed to score some free dirt from the county. Yay! Never thought I'd be so happy about dirt!

o

Hough-
Looks great! Love your tile work..I think I might have the same "chicklets" tile border in my powder bath!

We are about at the same stage...my septic is roped off too...and my tile is almost complete. Cabinets start tomorrow.

What is your completion date?

Ours is end of October...

Pam

o

Spotty- sorry I took so long to respond! Our dormers are inactive- just empty attic space behind, but we do plan to install a light in each one that will come on with the rest of the exterior lights. Our thought is to drape a black tarp to hide rafters when light is on??

o

Today:

Before
landclearing1

After
landclearing 2

o

Meg- thanks! I bought sunbrella fabric today to staple in my dormers. I hit a great sale...9.99 per yard. I like your idea of lights but we didn't run any electrical up there...

Carsonheim - love the before and after! Looks great! I want to drive one of those big diggers!

o

Spotty - thanks! We're supposed to be done mid October. We pick out granite tomorrow, so I'm hopeful cabinets will be installed next week.

o

Akshar - the bathtub is called The Duke (which my husband thinks is hilarious because we have a great friend named Duke). You can see all the specs here http://www.spurlinindustries.com/duke.html

We chose to do without jets because jets only make me itch! We can easily sit side by side in the tub, and we have a television mounted on the wall so we can watch TV in the tub. Husband is 250 lbs, this is NOT a small tub, but built with a great use of space. There is not a lot of overhang so ledges are small which is fine by me. We have two 50 gal water heaters.

The shower is 6' 6" X 4' and is directly across from the tub. We both fit easily with much room to spare. We actually taped off the area to see what size we would need. NO ONE ever has to shower first - we can go at the same time, which is a heated issue in our house.

The overall size of the master bathroom is 18' 6" X 11' 6". Seeing it laid out now, I might have gone a little wider, but I have no regrets about choosing the larger tub! It works, and we are the type of people who will definitely use it. I perceive we will watch some of our weekly shows from there, as a ritual.

The plumber GAVE us the tub for free, to make up for an earlier goof. I believe it would have otherwise cost around $1200.

o

equally - what a nice PERK from the plumber! You will enjoy your weekly shows even more in your big, free tub!

o

equally, Thanks for the sharing all the details about the bathroom. I think you will enjoy sitting in the tub and watching TV. Looks like you had good plumber as he made up for his mistake with a nice tub.

o

Equally- I love the tile on the bathtub. I am looking for something similar for our bathroom

I went by our house today and was very happy with the progress. It's starting to look like a house!

o

We finally got an official construction completion date of October 10th! So excited to move in!! Columns almost complete in living room/entry way area.

o

Can't wait to have this view!

o

Spottythecat - "love the "pin dot" layout!" - ME TOO!!!

o

kcthatsme - thanks! The master shower should be done this week...we did a basketweave bursa marble...it is used as a threshold between the different sections of the bathroom...

Meg- beautiful view and gorgeous columns! October 10th is JUST AROUND THE CORNER! Get packing!

Nick...that house is HUGE! Can't wait to see progress photos..looks like a beauty!

Pam

o

meg-don't blame you - that is a great view!

spotty-still admiring your pin dot. :)

o

It's not much, but I've got my excavating done and the road partially in. Because I got such a good deal, I also picked up my appliances.... just a bit ahead of the schedule. Footings Monday if all goes well.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ultimatehomestead.com

o

Siding! (Only the front is done, but I'm thrilled to see it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

This post was edited by zone4newby on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 9:23

o

Looks great Zone4newby. I love the front door and front porch. Are you guys GCing this job yourself? What a symmetrical front elevation.

Carol

o

Thanks Carol! We like symmetry.

We aren't GCing it ourselves. I don't know nearly enough to do that.

o

zone4newby - I really like the colors of your siding...so soft and inviting! Your window trim is beautiful too!

MTguy - off to a good start!!!

o

We have a chimney, now if only we could get a well so that we can move in some loam and get some cover planted.

o

Ok, so I decided to post with pictures. Long story, short version....this is our 2nd custom, owner/builder home on Garden Web. We sold the first back in Nov. 2011 and moved into a rental home. We received a ton of wonderful feedback and help with our new plans from those gracious posters here. We had boy #6 in April 2012. We broke ground in July of 2012 and have done the exterior of the home and everything after drywall ourselves (to be honest, mostly DH). We did the complete minimum to get our temporary occupancy and moved in this past Feb. Life continues and we are moving at a snails pace getting things finished between school work, football, piano lessons and the rest of what life has to offer. It has been a challenge to live here and work and I can answer more questions if there are any concerning any of that. I envy all that are able to move into their beautiful homes, all finished and ready to decorate. I'm trying to stay positive, I remember how low of a mortgage we have, and we certainly appreciate each thing that gets finished. I was so happy to have a door on the bathroom, instead of a painters tarp with a paper sign (occupied). We are on about 9 acres with a beautiful stream following the tree line. The boys love it here.

o

This is our backyard!

o

View from dining room....notice all the unfinished items and pile of wood flooring.

o

Part of my kitchen window....it makes me love it here!

o

Sharing our kitchen ceiling....the dining room is beyond the arch....the casing is on my bathroom floor. DH does great work, just hard with a regular full time job and full time family.

o

mommyto4boys (make that 6:)

I love your story and your view! Best part is your boys love it there! And, you have a very talented husband!
Thanks for sharing....
Remember...it's the journey and all the memories you are making each day!
Pam

o

mommyto4boys - hang in there! It looks wonderful and that view and yard are heart stopping. I have been where you are on a much smaller scale. My husband did our complete rehab and addition to almost double our sq ft when our boys were 2 & 6. He too, worked on it after the *real* job, which was also residential work so he never seemed to get a break! We lived with bare hanging bulbs, holes in plaster to run new copper plumbing and original trim on saw horses being stripped The days are long but this process will seem (relatively) short on the other side as you look back. Your boys are living the reality of delayed gratification and that's a wonderful life lesson.

o

mommyto4boys, Your backyard is amazing and your husband is doing beautiful work. We are not at all handy people so it really amazes me when I see people doing this kind of work themselves. I am sure the satisfaction you get when something gets done is great.

o

Sorry Duplicate post

This post was edited by akshars_mom on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:21

o

Thanks for the sweet comments, I'll share with DH and that will give him encouragement to keep going:)

OntarioMom was asking about our laundry area/homework room/my organizing desk/craft storage/everything room in a different post. I told her I would post about the room here. It is meeting our every expectation and then some.

The room is long and narrow, this is looking into the room, towards the left.

o

Like all the rooms, it is not finished....the cabinets are missing the crown and toe kick, etc. It functions well, nonetheless. This is towards the right side of the room.

o

The room was supposed to be black and white, with a future red washer and dryer and accessories. There was a miscommunication b/w us and the cabinet maker. He gave us an unbelievable price, so we are just living with it. We hate the white and black tiles, so "someday" we will change. A little disappointed with the colors, etc, but the room functions great. We have a laundry shoot and 6 pull out bins for sorting. Each of the 6 boys have a drawer for clean, flooded clothes that they put away. I hang almost everything that can be hung....all t-shirts, every shirt and pants in the house. So we just need room for shorts in the summer & undergarments in the drawer. This is the shoot open.

o
More laundry area

The room was supposed to be black and white, with a future red washer and dryer and accessories. There was a miscommunication b/w us and the cabinet maker. He gave us an unbelievable price, so we are just living with it. We hate the white and black tiles, so "someday" we will change. A little disappointed with the colors, etc, but the room functions great. We have a laundry shoot and 6 pull out bins for sorting. Each of the 6 boys have a drawer for clean, flooded clothes that they put away. I hang almost everything that can be hung....all t-shirts, every shirt and pants in the house. So we just need room for shorts in the summer & undergarments in the drawer. This is the shoot open.

o
Desk area

Homework, computer, desk area.

o
Drawers/Sorting Bins

Sorting area and some of the drawers for clean clothes. We raised the counter for a nice folding height and used the extra space for deeper drawers.

o

Looks like they installed the drawers upside down, so I don't know how well they'll work.

Also, usually the drawers are installed under the counter, where the cabinets look to be installed, not above the counter.

I'm sure you can make it work. I hope it works out for you. :)

o

Thanks for the photos, Mommyto4 boys. That looks like a dream laundry. We will also have a large laundry so I appreciate the ideas. You house is gorgeous!!

We are also owner builders, and have been very slowly rebuilding our home over 20 months now and counting (gut and addition). We have lived in the home the whole time even through winter when we had nothing to heat with except electrical heaters and non-insulated walls as we converted to in floor heat. My DH is taking a leave of absence from work to finish up the house (drywall, insulation, finish plumbing, trim etc). I just hope we will have insulation and heat before next winter. I would show you pictures, but it is just a house of studs with a large family living inside. It sure gives you perspective when you go from a fully finished home to a shack with no amenities.

Good luck, Mommyto4 getting your house done.

Carol

o

Very clever laundry room - I like how the kids are in charge of their laundry and they each have a place to put it. So well thought out! The benefits of taking the build slow can really bring out the best ideas...

Lawpaw - I think some of the photos are upside down (look at electrical outlets).
Pam

o

Kitchen cabinets going in - this is where my fire clay sink will sit...I am excited to do dishes and gaze out the window! LOL

o

Island seating area -

o

Double oven/fridge area...

o

Kitchen ceiling...beams will be stained a chestnut color to match the wood floors. The other molding and tongue and groove will be painted (not sure what color yet).

o

Man Cave aka Game Room aka Gathering Room

Ceiling beams finished...ready for stain...

o

Spottythecat, Your kitchen is looking great. Again I love you kitchen ceiling.

Meg, Must be exciting to get a finish date. Love your view.

mommyto4boys, very well thought out laundry room.

Zone4newby, Your choice of siding is very pleasant and the columns in the porch look great.

o

well, I am new to the message board. We are heading into the final phases of our build. Its been a very slow process but we are super excited with how it's coming together.

Septic Field going in:

photo IMG_0780.jpeg

Fireplace and island (and my 18 month old :) )
 photo photo6.jpg

Master Shower (and my daughter again)

photo photo5.jpg

Backyard and covered patio

photo photo3.jpg

Kitchen

photo photo2.jpg

This post was edited by mjwkr on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 10:09

o

mjwkr - you are very, very close! Exciting! Your daughter is a cutie....love that age!

I really, really like how you used the stone in your kitchen and tied it in with your fireplace.

What kind of wood floors are those? Very pretty...
Pam

o

Spottythecat,

Seems so close, yet so far away. Sold my last home and have to move in with the in-laws. 2 kids under 4 and a 70lb golden retriever leaving in a basement. Luckily my in-laws are great!

Floors are unfinished white oak. Once all the trim and painting is done they will be stained Jacobean.

o

mjwkr - your floors sound heavenly! Luckily, your inlaws are great!!! You are a few weeks ahead of us...I am just getting cabinets now...I think floors next week with built in closets...Our "due" date (I always joke to my husband that I am in my 3rd tri-mester!)....Is October 24th....I am in the process of fixing up the house we are in to sell it once we move....I keep thinking that all the work I can do myself will be money saved to go towards fun stuff for the new house!
Pam

o

mommyto4boys- I love your backyard. Your kids are definitely gonna enjoy that.

Spotty and mjwkr- Those kitchens look like they will be beautiful. They look great already.

o

I have a roof. Yay!

o

NickC33 - That IS exciting!

o

Finally ! it's happening and I get to join you all for the construction phase. With major assistance from Summerfield last year our plans were tweeked and finalised. We close on our construction loan next week, so dirt work will start the week after. Photo shows South/East cnr survey marker of house footprint looking west.

o

Cabinet installation and trim work is ongoing. Started putting up the cedar for the ceiling of rear porch. Fireplace stone is complete.
 photo Porch_zps9271101d.jpg
 photo Fireplace_zps0f99bf65.jpg

o

Well, we moved in and everything has been great. It is hard to take a picture in the house it is just hard to take a picture of a small room. But here is a video (short, only 15 seconds) walking in the front door to the kitchen.

http://instagram.com/p/cNVdmnt552/

Here is a link that might be useful: House Video

o

Sweet.reverie-very nice! Glad you stopped back. More pics in your blog?

o

:-( For whatever reason, your video won't play for me, I just see the porch opening shot.

o

We are finally joining this group! We purchased our land 5 years ago. Our construction loan process was so unbelievably stressful and long. We were told they had never dealt with anyone who had purchased and/or paid for so much prior to getting a construction loan. We also did a one-time close for construction/mortgage. And, we are retired. We are only borrowing a portion of what it will cost. Just glad that part is over. We closed yesterday.

Now on to the fun stuff. Our pole barn is already built and our driveway installed. Our son-in-law (survey and land engineer and our general contractor for the build) is staking this weekend. We will be helping by holding the tape measures. Footers being installed on Monday!

o

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this thread! I wish I had more to contribute but we are at the hurry up and wait stage. We bought a to-be-built spec home from a builder and we are making some changes to the floor plan. It is a 4 bdr 4 bath 5000 sq ft home on a 15000 sq ft lot. We are asking the architect to delete a half wall that separates the kitchen from the family room. We are also adding a pool bath. The plans are at the architect now, then if we approve it goes to the engineer then the City for permitting. The waiting is killing me but I know it will be worth it. I will live vicariously through your progress posts instead! Here is a picture of our lot after they tore down the existing house.

April

o

We are finally building too!! We bought our land last year and have spent the last 14 months clearing, putting in road, getting electric and burying 500 feet of line, drilling a water well, not to mention finalizing plans, getting a builder, getting a construction loan, and reading everything I can on this site. Whew! Now the fun stuff! We are building a 1900 square foot ranch with a full walkout basement.... nothing fancy, just the basics. We are soon to be retired and wanted a smaller house with lots of land to roam. Lived in town for the past 30 years.... time for some peace and quiet!
This past week has been a whirlwind.... Monday they peeled the sod off, Tuesday they dug the hole, Wednesday they dug the footers, and Thursday they poured them. They plan to pour the basement walls on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Here's how it looks.... we're pretty excited about it!
 photo IMG_1330_zps5c5cf0ad.jpg

o

Our grass is coming in great from planting 2 weeks ago. Got the well drilled, builder contract signed, and permits should be approved next week. Hopefully weather will cooperate and we'll begin construction in a couple of weeks.

Carol--That's so exciting to be breaking ground! Our story is similar; lots of work over the last 2 years preparing the site, moving to the country, and now finally we are close. Look forward to following your build!

o

Getting railing on the high side of the mammoth porch! Yeah!! Now I can breathe easier when the girls are playing on it. It is welded wire.
Jen

o

Ah Jennybc I love the welded wire!!! Well done :)

We're still waiting on framing package to show...not sure what the hold up is. We're working on building a shelterhouse in our back "yard" to fill our need for building to be happening. :)

o

Today they started to put the forms up for the basement walls. They'll finish tomorrow and pour the concrete Wednesday. We will have 9 foot walls, 8 inches thick.
We were surprised to see that they had already dug the hole for the septic tank and put it in!
Loessismore.... your driveway looks alot like ours, what area of the country are you in?
 photo IMG_1347_zpse2d01ec4.jpg

o

Hardwood in kitchen/dining all complete!

o

Lower cabinets set and template for countertop to be done on Wednesday!!

o

Jennybc: I love love your porch and railing substitute!

o

@ degcds, what brand vanity is that in the bathroom with the brown walls? I think it might be the same vanities we ordered for our master bath. Is yours a 60 inch one?

We now have a basement floor and beams, our main level floor is coming soon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Meg4440Roberts - Exciting!

o

Meg--your kitchen looks beautiful!

Carol--we are in the loess hills of western Iowa. Looks like you are moving right along.

o

Spotty: what size is your game room, and how large are the beams? The proportions look similar to our family room. Thanks!

o

Thanks Lori and redhdd! The porch is about 8' wide and wraps around the 32x46 house. We wanted something that wouldn't badly block the view at an angle like ballisters do. Anywhere you sit you can see thru at an angle. We love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here