Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Finally settled 'enough' to share pics

jaymielo
15 years ago

Hi all, We moved in Labor Day weekend and are finally settled "enough" to share some pictures. I want to give a big, huge thank you to everyone who contributed to my posts and answered questions for me for the last 2 and some odd years. I learned so much on GW, on the BAH forum, the kitchen forum, the decorating forum. All your contributions drastically changed the house we built, much for the better. I hope that by sharing these pictures, I can give others some ideas or inspiration that will help them much as you all helped me.

Completed home slideshow

Comments (24)

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Soooo beautiful! I especially love your kitchen and all the colors you picked throughout the house. Fantastic job!

Isn't it nice to be HOME!

Lindy

• trudymom
    15 years ago

Really gorgeous. Looks like lots of thought in the planning. Thank you for sharing!

• worthy
    15 years ago

Well done! Good use of all the Craftsman touches.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

love it! you did a magnificent job. i love the materials and all the selections. good luck and good health in your new home!

• logista
    15 years ago

You have a beautiful home. Congratulations!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Everything turned out beautiful! Enjoy your new home.

Allison

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

Absolutely fabulous!!! You have done a great job! You have impeccable taste Jaymie and have done so well on staying on theme. I felt I didn't such a great job in that area. Your builder must have "got" your vision.

It went so fast ( for me!) LOL

I am now inspired to get some pics of our house in the more finished state.

I have a question, with the hardwood, high ceilings and two little guys, how are you doing with echos? That has been a little of an issue for us. We don't have any really high ceilings but have the open stair case and all hardwood. Also no window coverings and no plans to get them. Rugs have helped as have more furniture and books on the shelves but when the natives are restless it can get pretty loud!

PD

• lsst
    15 years ago

WOW! I love the attention to the details!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lindy, It is ever so nice to be HOME! The first few nights it felt a bit like a hotel, despite the years of planning, but now we are quite comfortable and loving it. There are so many simple pleasures in the house.

ponydoc, We have all hardwoods also and the high ceiling in the living room, but so far, I haven't had too much of an issue with echos. However, I'm probably immune to the noise, possibly deaf. :) I have a tendency to send them outdoors when they get too loud and to bed early when they are driving me nuts. The house actually seems very cozy. Their room is fairly far separated from ours, but they are sharing a room, and so far, they haven't had any issues with the arrangement.

We have lots more to do to be truly settled, but it is so nice to be this far!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

So absolutely beautiful. Truly wonderful details everywhere. I love the tile, the built-ins, the colors. I am awed by your view. I did not know before you were near water, how fabulous. Kind of like everyday life and vacation in one place, too cool.

I am sure you are so thrilled to be in. I am thinking you have some busy holidays ahead, how fun.
    Maybe one day I will be where you are, for now I will just appreciate all your pics and how satisfied you must be

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, I sure hope you are settled into your home soon. I know you have had a very hard road. Your home is beautiful and I really hope you are able to enjoy it with you family soon.

With the water out back, it is truly like being on vacation everyday. We are very hopeful we will be able to lure our families here for the holidays this year. I just need to figure out where to put the tree!

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

Jaymielo,

Your house is absolutely gorgeous. You did a great job of keeping a cohesive vision throughout the entire home. It all works really well together. It very much feels homey, and like exactly the place that you want to have holidays at. Thanks so much for sharing!

• pearl2007
    15 years ago

I have to echo what others have said... the design is really well carried throughout the entire house, inside and out. Really nice outcome.... did you work with an architect and/or interior designer? I'd be curious to know how you planned and designed the structure, interior and general overall plan. Thanks. Love the cabinet work.

• mizjiff
    15 years ago

Your house is gorgeous! You did a great job - congratulations!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you dcclerk and pearl2007.

pearl, The house itself is a Alan Mascord design. We spent about a year searching for a plan that was close enough to what we wanted. We then hired their design service to make several modifications to the plan and then I tweaked it some more before we actually broke ground. Once we had the plan, most of the interior and exterior design was accomplished by pouring through bungalow restoration books and looking at older homes locally. I also got a lot of ideas from GW when people were kind enough to share pictures. We had an idea of what we wanted for most selections when we broke ground and then it was just a matter of finding it, like the reproduction hardware, the antique windows, all the cabinetry, the tile for the backsplash and fireplace surround, etc. We did hire a design firm to create and install the landscaping. I love to garden, but that was just over my head. During the build, it was all a lot of work, but in retrospect, it was a lot of fun. I'm already itching for a new project. (BTW, my DH would kill me if he heard me say that!)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

OMG, Jaymie! I had no idea that you were on the water. It is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the way that you stayed true to the craftsman style throughout the house. It looks so polished. I've always adored the cabinetry, but those tiles are to die for. :o)

• neesie
    15 years ago

I'm jealous! It looks like a picture-perfect home. Thanks for sharing the slide show.

• eventhecatisaboy
    15 years ago

Your home turned out fantastic! Congratulations on a wonderful new home. Yours will be the envy on the street! Thank you for graciously sharing your pictures. Wishing you the best and many happy memories to come!

• ajpl
    15 years ago

It's lovely! My favorites were the clawfoot tub and probably the little mini office space! The cubbies for kids' outdoor stuff is great too.

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Your new home is so pretty and restful! Enjoy!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Jaymie,

I LOVE your home! Ive referred back to your photos many a time now. Just beautiful and well thought out!

I would love to know more about your front entrance with the beams going across and up in the peak. Are they cedar? And can you tell me how deep the overhang is there? We would like to incorporate a similar design, but not sure what the cost would be.

Ive been searching for an old antique transom for over our kitchen entrance. We hope to incorporate some older pieces in our build, like you did with your windows.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL HOME! CONGRATULATIONS!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

persnickety, Thank you. We are very blessed to be on the water. It has been a blast! I'm also very happy with how the tile turned out. it was a leap of faith. I found the tile maker on eBay and then worked with her to create the tiles. They arrived in MANY large boxes, but in great shape and ended up coordinating very well. Very close to what I had "in my head".

ajpl, The boys mini office is one of my favorite spaces as well. Ironically, it wasn't supposed to be finished at all, but when we saw it framed, our GC thought we might want to finish it off. He said it would cost almost as much to add the insulated door and make it unconditioned space as to finish it. I'm so glad we did! They love it and now I have a spot for all their books and school/art supplies. The cubbies are much smaller than I would have liked, but, at least we squeezed them in.

twogirlsbigtrouble, The beams across the front are cedar. They were stained after installation with Sikkens Cetol 23. The porch itself is 5 1/2' deep and then 7' between the pillars. The base of each pillar is about 2' each, so the width of the entire front area is about 11'. The inspiration for the structure of the porch was the following picture.

Here are some close ups of our porch, if that is helpful.

I don't think it was very costly to do, although I don't have exact numbers. I know the framers ordered the large cedar pieces (they used the same thing for our braces) and put them up as they finished framing. The tapered beam was built later by the same gentleman who built our decks and the stone work was done last.

I spent a lot of time in architectural salvage shops when we are building, so I'm surprised more reclaimed pieces didn't make it into our build. However, each thing that you do outside the normal channel is a lot of work to coordinate, and at some point, I had to prioritize the most important elements and focus on them. Otherwise, our build could have gone on FOREVER!

Thanks to everyone for the flattering comments. Honestly, we could not have built this house without all of you!

• primbynature
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous home! I know you are thrilled to be in it! We are 32 days from closing and when I see all that has to be done I get really nervous. Also had a breakdown this morning over a stain job gone wrong on the concrete porches. Your pictures give me hope that it does eventually all come together!