Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mumtazg38

Rooms w/ vastly varying heights in ceilings/heights?

MumtazG38
10 years ago

Firstly, my main concern is that I was told previously that it was completely doable on my first level, so I worked for months on a design, finding different 3d software, and switching back and forth between those and photoshop, and sketchup etc to create the perfect design. Now my husband is freaking out because the "line map" or basic floor plan I sent the contractor in Pakistan (this is where the house is being built), hence the brick and cement usage, as opposed to drywall etc, shows the varying heights of the rooms and my husband thinks it is impossible to achieve anything but a flat ceiling. I wanted to know if this is true?

If so, my design is just a tad complicated in that it has upper rooms on the "first level" above the rooms that are much lower in height. So, that is another thing that concerns my hubby, he thinks it would be impossible to place second rooms on top of an already existing room on the first level when the Great Hall (43x40 and 22' height) is so tall, and the rooms beside it are all varying heights, and much smaller. I'm not sure what to think anymore because I am no longer able to get a hold of the contractor I had initially posed this question to.

See this first image (floorplan/linemap). That is the (very basic) floor plan I quickly threw together in a minute or two for the contractor to get a idea. As he was having a hard time with the 3d models, which is understandable.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn113/MumtazG38/LineMap_zpsacde7fc6.jpg

As you can see, the rooms alongside the Great Hall are all smaller. I guess the 18' ones shouldn't be that big of a difference honestly, I see it in design all of the time, even in open rooms on the same floorspace etc. But I'm getting worried about the rooms that are of 12' height, as I've placed rooms on top of those "gaps". My husband isn't able to explain to me "why" this cannot be done. But he sure is pretty adamant about it being a problem. I just wanted to know if what I am attempting to achieve is plausible, and maybe it has been done before. I know I've seen it done all over the place in the U.S, where people have made higher seating/storage or sleeping areas...or even childrens small rooms etc above rooms. But I'm not sure anymore what can be done in Pakistan with the way that they build. I've seen pretty complicated floor plans there too though!

Here are some photos of what I have done with "adding rooms on top".

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn113/MumtazG38/pic1_zpsfb1a396d.jpg

As you can see above. Ive got the Great Hall at a very high ceiling (you'll see just sky right now however) and the rooms can't obviously be that height! So I have some of them at 18", where it makes sense to have a decorative curved ceiling etc, but I do have 3 of the 6 rooms(the ones with the brown boxes infront and the windows and doors floating up there) at 12' and then rooms on top of them at 10' each.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn113/MumtazG38/pic2_zps53c8292d.jpg

See the windows? The stairs. Yes, so basically that is what I've done. There is a second floor above "First Level" with 3 rooms on the left and 3 on the right with a balcony in between looking down into the Great Hall (where the fountains are). I am curious as to whether achieving the rooms on top of eachother is possible. I'm pretty sure it is, as I see it alot. However, I am not a contractor so what do I know.

I would really appreciate any input!

Thank you!

Comment (1)