Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smc0904

Fireplace and french doors - span of wall

SMC0904
9 years ago

Our back wall in the great room is 20 feet wide. Would 2 sets of french doors and the fireplace be too much on that one wall? We are looking at a standard size fireplace of about 6 feet i believe it is.

Comments (11)

• Stephanie Halfacre
    9 years ago

I have two sets of french doors and a fireplace roughed in right now. I wish I had thought more about the limited option of screening with a french door.

The problem with these doors opening in is that they will cut greatly into our limited space in the living room. If they open out, I can't have both doors open and a screen.

If I'm keeping them open, I'll definitely want screens! I probably would have done better to make a pretty window instead.
    Just something to think about.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it without serious consideration of traffic patterns, furniture arrangements and room functions as they can be very limiting.

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the design I currently have 2 taller windows on each side of the fireplace so not to lose space and also to make it easier for furniture placement. Instead i have a door in the kitchen which is open to the great room to go out to the back patio. Although it would look nice i am too concerned about functionality.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I have two sets of French doors in my living room. In addition to what others have said about needing space for them to open (and the lack of a bug screen), you should also consider the insulation characteristics.

Heavy winds cause some air infiltration through my doors, and dust manages to sneak through as well. They do look awesome, and having at least one set of doors is great for getting oversized furniture into the house. But if I had a do-over I'd probably skip the French doors and get huge windows instead.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I agree with the above posters' assessment of French doors as less-than-ideal. I have a set by my breakfast table, and I won't be putting them in my new house. I like them for interior rooms -- say, to divide a den from the rest of the house -- but not as exterior doors.

In contrast, I used to love the function of the sliding glass doors in my old house. As such, I'm going with the new "gliding doors" -- they function like sliding glass doors, but they look like French doors. You can get one door that slides or two doors that slide. These avoid the "swing" problem, and you can include a screen. They also cost less than French doors.

To answer the original question -- finally -- I see no problem with a 20' wall containing a fireplace and two sets of glass doors.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 17:26

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

In contrast, I used to love the function of the sliding glass doors in my old house. As such, I'm going with the new "gliding doors" -- they function like sliding glass doors, but they look like French doors. You can get one door that slides or two doors that slide. These avoid the "swing" problem, and you can include a screen. They also cost less than French doors.

But they don't open as wide as a set of French doors would do they?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

But they don't open as wide as a set of French doors would do they?

Depends upon what type you choose -- you can get a single opening door or a set of doors that has two opening doors (and stationary windows on the side).
    And, for the record, only one of my French doors opens -- the other is stationary.

I say investigate all options. No one particular choice will work for all projects.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

mrshalf and chiefneil, you might want to look into retractable screens. Our friends have them, they are quite inconspicuous when not in use. We will get these for some of our doors, but probably not until next spring.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    9 years ago

You mean like this?

They look kind of cheap but I guess that would help the problem.

I'm going to also look at the gliding doors mentioned. Thanks to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: retractable screen

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Mrshalf, take a look at phantom screens. Our friends have a different brand but the same idea. Not a screen "curtain" like the Walmart one -- that will work for the bugs but doesn't look as nice. At our friends' house, I did not even realize they had installed screens until they were opened up, they blended in so well with the trim.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    9 years ago

Those look great, Oaktown. I am definitely looking into them. Thanks so much.