Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2samlibby

Basement Bathroom/Laundry Room Combo Advice Needed, please

mom2samlibby
10 years ago

I thought we had a little more time to think about the design of this room, but the builder asked yesterday if we could know by today (YIKES!) how we wanted this laid out.

Does this layout look ok (I realize it's pretty "rough")? Or can anyone see a layout that would work/function better?

We are building on a small lake and want this bathroom to be a hardworking, stop and leave the sand here before continuing further in the house point. We are hoping to have kids' friends over next year for playdates, etc. and this would be used by them for that same purpose. Washer/Dryer will probably only be used for beach towels/swimsuits.

The room is 10' x 14'. We would like the door to stay where it is placed for quick and easy access to the bathroom from outside the house. I don't have the window size handy right now.

The water closet is 42" x 6' and the shower (as drawn now) 42" x 42".

In the space to the left of the shower, I would like to put something like this.

The sink I like right now is this.

And I thought I could put it on the wall by the door, like this.

I'd like to be able to do something like this around the washer and dryer.

And for the wall opposite the shower, I'd like a tall cabinet to store a broom/mop in and the tall open cabinet for beach towels and some lower cabinets for folding area. And upper cabinets for more storage.

Upper cabinet idea.

Base cabinet idea with no sinks.

Does the layout look ok? Any ideas for improvement.

Thank you all for you time and thoughts!

This post was edited by neroselover on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 13:24

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

It works, but if you expect sand...
    Everytime someone needed to come in to potty, they are going to track sand all the way through the entire space (because the toilet it in the back).

And, if the laundry is secondary laundry, I'd probably consider stacking it rather than dedicating that much floor space to machines.

Maybe think about the flow of traffic into/out of the room with the needed "zones". Toileting being different from laundry. And, you might want to include a drop zone (think aerated hamper) near the laundry for those towels.

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, good point about the toliet and the sand. I knew we needed a fresh set of eyes.

We have considered a stackable washer and dryer, so it's good to hear someone else mention those again.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I was also going to mention stackables and they would NOT have to be the huge ones.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I was also going to mention stackables and they would NOT have to be the huge ones.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I would do the stacked as well if its just beach towels, swimsuits, and shower towels. Where is the door to come into the house from the bathroom? Am I missing it?

Don't forget a place to store swimsuits (in all sizes for the inevitable guests), sunscreens, goggles, beach towels, and bath towels. It would be nice to have a small storage area for a few clothes, pjs for kids to change in to after showering so these shower towels do not migrate into the rest of the house. Wash them where they are used.

You will need a few hooks to hang wet swimsuits on to dry, preferably over a sink.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Okay, so thoughts:
    Is door placement set?

I'd put the toilet near the door, with sink next to it.

I'd put the shower in a back corner

If this is a basement, I'd put a drain in the floor of the room (and maybe leave it concrete floors so I could potentially hose the whole thing down?)

Laundry in a back corner (other corner)
    Hanging things between laundry and shower

storage/hooks/etc along other wall

sink near door.

I think I went around the room.

If you have the option to put the door in the center of the room instead of the end of a wall, that might be best. But, you can play with that a little.

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We would like the door placement to stay where it is, as that would give easy access from the outside and then we have the full wall on the other side.

I don't know if this is readable, but here is the basement floor plan that shows where the exterior door is.

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas everyone! Thanks so much for the input. You've given me lots of food for thought. I really appreciate the ideas. There were several things that I hadn't thought of.