Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tres Le Fleur

Posted by LevisMama (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 13:12

Would you please look over the plan attached and let me know if there are any things you find troublesome? Also, if anyone has built this plan we'd love to see pictures of the completed project! I can't figure out who the designer is so if you know who designed this plan please let me know. Thanks!

http://houseplans.housingzone.com/plan/4445/#Plan-Specifications

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tres Le Fleur

The design is from Archival Designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tres Le Fleur

o

Thank you Nicke!

o

I would rather have the master bedroom convenient to the garage entrance, but that is personal preference. Ditto for the laundry room. It seems to me that you've given the best spots to the secondary bedrooms.

Bedroom 3 could easily have windows on two walls.

To access the linen closet in Bathroom 3, you're going to have to squeeze past the toilet. This bathroom has plenty of space, but it doesn't look functional.

I see you have a grilling terrace. If you plan an outdoor kitchen or lots of outdoor cooking, you might want to consider flipping the kitchen and the dining room.

3 dishwashers? When you say yes to extra appliances or over-sized appliances, you're saying no to basic storage space.

The pantry is a long walk from the garage. At the least, you could flip it so that it's on the closer side of the kitchen.

I would downsize the entryway's powder room. I think that long, narrow tunnel in which the toilet's placed would be a little uncomfortable to use . . . and cleaning behind the toilet would definitely be no fun. The moderately-large vanity would be nice in a bedroom bath, but is unnecessary in a powder room. I'd go with a smaller powder room with just enough space for a toilet and a pedestal sink. I'd use the extra space to make the coat closet extra deep.

I do not like anything about the master bath. So much space, but by dividing it up as it is, it's going to feel small and cramped. And since one person'll have to come to the other person's side to use the toilet, it won't be all that private. The space is there, but I'd go with something more conventional.

I would chop off the box bay in the garage. This would be a nice feature, say, in a bedroom . . . but I wouldn't pay for it in a garage.

o

Thank you for your thoughts. I certainly agree with you about the powder room. I think it should work if we square it off and put the toilet and sink side by side. As far as the kitchen, the two appliances on either side of the cook top are ovens but we are considering doing away with those and using one of those gorgeous old fashion looking stove oven combos. I don't hate the master bath, I love that size of it and I like that hubs and I will have separate sink areas. However, I think we're going to need to redesign the layout. I don't like the tub in the middle of the room and I dont like the tub sitting right in fromt of a huge window. We want to elliminate the exterior doors in the kids rooms and replace them with windows. By cutting out these exterior doors we won't have any need for the covered patio. Do you have any ideas as to what we could do with this space? Depending on costs, we've thought about extending bedroom 3 and relocating the bath to that end of the room to allow for a better layout. What do you think?

o

We are building this house right now!

Here are the changes we made:
1. We put another garage door on the back of the garage to getting four wheelers, mowers out.
2. We made the upstairs of garage unfinished storage.
3. We made both doors of guest bedrooms exit onto porch.
4. We made built in desk into built in shelves.
5. We added a fireplace to the back patio.
6. We used the floor plan where the shower was a double entry shower on the front of the house. Then you don't have the tub by a window and sinks crowding the middle of the bathroom.
7. We added more windows above the French doors in the living room.
8. We took all appliances off the island except a cooktop and a wine cooler. We moved the stove and microwave by the pantry as a double stack.
9. We finished the bonus area above the living room.

We are on framing right now, but can post pics as we go!

o

Clittle how is the build going? I'm actually talking to Archival now and moving things around in the plans would love to see how your build is going!

o

A few of the things off the top of our head we wanted to change was the layout of the master bath, get rid of room 2 and 3 doors and put windows. Windows above great room doors, remove doors in dining area, get rid of room 2 and 3 baths and make a large shared one. Extend room
3 back. Remove the stairs in the garage to the bonus room and put an access area from second floor living space to the bonus room.

o

I too would love to see pictures of this house built. We are planning on building this house I love the layout design. Please send pics if you are building this house. Thanks in advance. Please email me pictures krissyrunolfson@yahoo.com

This post was edited by krunolfson on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 21:44

o

We are looking at this house plan to build also. We would make changes also but would be very helpful to see pictures because we had a different plan picked out to build and drove several hours to view a built home and it ended up not being what we wanted to build. So if you dont mind to share pictures that would be great help. Hope building is going good for you clittle

o

CLittle, I'm so excited to see that someone is building it! Please share pictures as you go! my email address is sabrinabcox@gmail.com if you'd rather email them. I love the way you're doing the bathroom, it sounds like what we've drawn out but we can't decide what to do with the window in the shower. We don't really want the distorted looking glass that screams there's a bathroom here! What are you doing for privacy with the window in the shower?

o

Has anyone had any luck getting some photos of a build?

o

New pictures have been posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tres Le Fleur plan pictures

o

If anyone is willing to share their photos of the build it would be greatly appreciated. Last year we purchased 5 acres with hopes to build this house in 5 years. I see that there are some interior pictures of the kitchen and dinning room but would love to see more of the great room and entry. Also the pictures of the master bedroom would be awesome.

Also I am curious if anyone is using the upstairs bonus room that looks like it could be a bedroom. We need 4 bedrooms and was going to finish that area upstairs.

If you are willing to I would like to know an estimated cost to build this house. From what I can tell it would probably cost us $260 - $280 to build that house here in Indiana.

o

260-280 really? Where in Indiana are you? My cousin just built a similar plan but no funky angled garage (less cost for her to attach off rear). Their home is on a full basement. They only finished 1/3 of basement, Her plan had similar juts and jogs and sq footage. Yet they were at 375 initially. Final build price was more like 405 in Floyds Knobs indiana (essentially a suburb of Louisville, ky)

They may have used different construction methods than you intend to use, probably more expensive plumbing fixtures and appliances or the area could be higher cost than your area of Indiana or they may have run into higher lot prep but I would check that estimate again. It seems low.

o

Since we already own the land I didn't include that in the cost. We are in northern Indiana and others who I know who have built have spent approximately $110 a square foot. The last person built a 4000 square foot home which cost them about $450k. That was with high end fixtures and appliances. Plus a walkout (maybe a lookout) basement.

With that in mind I don't plan on doing high end fixtures and appliances. Plus there may be some tweaks we are going to do to help with the cost. I used to do residential electric with my uncle so I hope to save some cost there. My father-n-law is willing to help with the roof and my cousin will install the HVAC. I also plan on doing most of the flooring myself. My estimate is more like $90 - $100 a square foot.

Obviously I am not entirely sure how much it would cost so hoping to get some feedback from folks on here. I haven't even shopped for builders since it will be 5 years before we start. I should just show the plans to my neighbor whos a contractor and see if he can give me a rough estimate.

o

With friends in the trade and ability to DIY that certainly helps drive down cost. My cousins house did not include land either. Just saying excavation cost in southern indiana may be different? Lots of limestone to get through.

o

I spoke with one of the reps at Archival Designs they said with a basement 300-350 for a build with medium quality stuff. That was pricing in the NY area.

o

Nashvillebuild42 and pyamed thanks for replying back.

Pyamed, if you decide to build this house I would love to keep in touch with you along the way. It would be nice to see more photos and also talk with someone who has / is building this house. Also one of the things you said you wanted to do was eliminate one of the bathrooms. My wife wants to do that as well and we found another plan from archival that was basically the same as this one and had a shared bathroom. Link is included below although I am assuming you already were told by archival about this one.

There are some things that we may use from both plans.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.archivaldesigns.com/home-plans/la-famille-house-plan

This post was edited by Delio21 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 18:29

o

Has anyone built this house yet? If so can you post pics or emal me pics please? We are going to build in 6-12 months but would love to see more pictures of it. Thanks!

o

My house is similar (that is being built)- but was custom designed, and the kitchen is in the back of the house. I prefer the kitchen in the back. My master is flipped- near the garage. Will try and post the plans- need to upload them.

o

I am currently building a version of this home, we happen to live near the Archival Designs office, so we actually sat down with the designer and modified the plan to our liking. I will post some pictures of our progress, we are currently framing and hope to have windows and doors set in 2 weeks.
I will be going to the house today and will get more updated and brighter pictures.

o

Picture of the back...

o

Picture of the front

o

Thank you, dsmith! We are in the modification process on this plan and I'm thrilled to see real pics of it going up. Please them coming!

o

Really enjoy the building pictures. Can't wait to see it after completion!

o

Love the building pics dsmith! Please keep sharing!

o

Would love to see some pics Nepool!

o

I'm so happy to see some pictures of your build! Please keep us updated as your build continues.

Thanks for sharing!

o

I'm in the process of building my version of the (Tres Le Fleur) home. I'm trying to save money so I went off of the design but just made the home more square, more cost efficient. I turned the garage so the house didnt look so long and skinny, thoughts? I'm having a hard time picturing the inside of the home so if anyone has pictures of the family room/dining room, kitchen, ceilings ect. please post.
We start to build next week I'll continue to post.
Email me at: daryls12@hotmail.com

This post was edited by schwab12 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 18:09

o

Hey Schwab whats your email?

o

daryls12@hotmail.com

o

Any updates on the builds?

o

The house is coming along, it should be all framed up and dried in, in the next 3-4 weeks. I only have one guy building so it's taking a little longer. I will post pictures when we are at that point. Anyone else have plans, progress pics they can post?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here