Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Colors - Suggestions for new build

Posted by dpusa (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 13:06

All

See the existing home we are building with a builder albeit ours will have some very minor amendments (such as one dormer above the garage with three double windows). We like white windows and guttering, but wanted to get thoughts or pictures of color combinations. It will have brick, stone, cedar shakes and hardiplank (only on the sides and back). We were leaning towards a grey for the shakes and hardiplank, but then not sure on the brick or stone colour? Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Colors - Suggestions for new build

I'd pick out my brick/stone first if I were you. Reason: it's a lot easier to find paint (which literally comes in a kajillion colors) that will coordinate with your selected stone/brick than it is to go the other way round.

In fact, as a general rule, starting with the material that has the fewest available color options and then building from there is usually the easiest way to go.

Roofing also tends to come in a relatively limited palette so I'd probably choose stone first, then roofing, and FINALLY paint colors for the remainder.

If you like the idea of grey for the hardi and shakes, that's fine...just don't try to settle on a particular grey before you find a stone/brick that you can love and have picked out at least one possible roofing shingle that will go with it. If you choose brick or stone with a cool cast or a bluish/greyish undertone, you should have no trouble finding greys to coordinate with it.

Of course, before you actually buy anything, you should have everything selected. That's what samples are for.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting samples of two or threes brick/stones and putting together the best shingles and paint colors that you can for each of them and THEN deciding which combinations you like best.

Finally, because the house has so many different exterior materials, I'd probably try to stick with a monotone color palette except for contrasting front door. Otherwise the overall effect might be uncomfortably "busy".

o
RE: Exterior Colors - Suggestions for new build

Thanks bevangel - i really appreciate it. def. great ideas. Any one have pictures in the grey tones for similar type homes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here