Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supergrrl7

Moving Utility Pole?

supergrrl7
11 years ago

We are in the beginning stages of thinking through how we want to orient our house on the small, infill lot we own. I have given it a lot of thought and the place where I would ideally like to place our driveway is currently the home of a utility pole (in the treelawn).

Does anyone know if it would be possible to convince the utility companies (electric & cable, I think) to move the pole or should I just resign myself to having the driveway on the other side of the house?

Comments (10)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

First, check the land records for your lot and find out exactly where the utility easements run across your property. Chances are, the utility company owns an easement where the utility pole is located and does not have one where-ever it is that you would like the pole moved to.

The utility company is NOT going to agree to move the pole to a place where it does not have an easement. PERIOD. To do so would open the utility company to potential litigation. (Note that the power lines must also ONLY run over land for which the utility company has an easement so even if they have an easement for the spot where you want the pole to be, they won't be willing to move it if doing so would cause any of the utility lines to fall outside of their easement.)

So, to get them to move the pole, you have to show that they have an easement where you prefer having the pole (or that you're willing to grant them an easement there), and that moving the pole will not cause the utility lines to cross over any neighbor's property where the utility company does not have an easement.

At that point you stand at least a chance of getting them to agree to move the pole... if you're willing to pay the cost. Don't be surprised tho if the cost of removing the current pole and putting in a new one runs upwards of $4K or $5K.

Good luck. There are often good reasons why certain lots within a neighborhood remain unsold/undeveloped for years and years and eventually come to be considered "infill lots." And very often the reason is that easements on the lot make designing and building problematic. If your city is serious about getting those infill lots developed, you may be able to get some "political help" convincing the utility company to consider moving the pole.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I suspect they have an easement along the street. We paid to move the phone and cable boxes at our current house. They were in the middle of the two lots we purchased. It was not a cheap endeavor - each was 1500.00 or so to move. Much better than having the boxes in front of our front door though!

I would call the utility companies and get them to estimate the cost to move it. . .

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

If you don't ask them, the effective answer is NO. They keep the records on easements-- don't worry about that unless they broach the subject. In my case, I asked them to relocate a line to make my lot fully usable. They moved two poles and added three more to drastically relocate the line to a location that both of us liked better. The existing poles and line were old, the line conductors were from 1942. No charge to me, but I did have to clear about 700 feet through the woods for the new location. I did it with just a chainsaw, farm tractor and trailer in about a week.
    So ask. There is no way you will be in worse situation than you are now.

• sadiect
    11 years ago

We have a pole that is sitting right in front of our house that we had to move. Like the others said ours cost about $1200 to put up a new pole in a different location. Speaking from personal experience, if you want something moved contact the company asap as ours took forever. We have the power lines moved, but are now dealing with getting the phone/cable lines moved and who can actually take the pole down. A real pain for us. Good luck with it!

• melsouth
    11 years ago

We had ours "moved."
    Our utility company did not re-use the old pole; their policy is to put up a new one.
    They charged us close to $2500.00, but, hey, at least they left the old pole lying there in the yard for us to enjoy!
    Seriously.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Your property deed should list any easements and their location. (Or at least it would where I live.)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Where do I get access to the land records that would show that kind of easement?"

It should be on the plat for the property in the notes, and the extent of the easement marked with dashed lines on the drawing.

If you did not pay for any type of survey and a plat drawing when you purchased, you are going to now (and at that point you have no idea WHAT you purchased).

The surveyor will do the required search to determine the presence and bounds of easements.

• HU-841648455
    last year
    last modified: last year

There is a utility pole on the grass area in front of my house that is located between the sidewalk and the street. It is located on the farthest left corner away from my walkway and window view and has been there for over 24 years. A couple of days ago Southern California Edison employees started digging a hole farther to the right in front of my window view and my walkway. I found out they want to change out the old utility pole and add additional power lines. I called to ask them not to change the existing location and was basically given the run around. After speaking to several people I was basically told they own that part of the land and can do whatever they want and were very rude. Is there anything I can do to contest this? All of the other utility poles on my street are located out of the way in a corner area.

• scout
    last year

The only thing I think you could do is request that the lines be buried, which may be very expensive.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner