Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Typical upcharge for offset tile

auroraborelis
10 years ago

I'm curious, can anyone share a typical upcharge for laying tile offset? I'm in the bay area, so a more expensive area, but I would love to hear everyones opinions on this one!

I'm seeing a $1,200 charge for laying a 12x24 tile on the floor offset and a 12x36 tile on the shower walls in a 6x10 bathroom.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

In Florida, I am seeing $250, $500 or $750 based on the design and the size of the room...

For example, I have a pin dot design on my master bath floor. That was a $500 upcharge.

My kitchen backsplash has a design also, and that is $750 (larger room, maybe more cuts).

My designer drew out exactly how she wanted the tile laid. Maybe yours is higher because the tile people have to design the layout?

Pam

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

No upcharge. Tiles needed to be cut to fit the space either way, they didn't care whether they were offset or in line. Perhaps there would have been a discount if we had designed the floors and walls to take an exact even number of tiles, but I doubt it--and it would have made the carpenters crazy. Our guys asked us how we wanted them laid the day they showed up (we bought the tile separately) and did a beautiful job of fitting a fairly complex pattern with no odd-looking asymmetry.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am doing the layout, I don't have any help from a designer for interiors!

For a typical bathroom we are looking at $700 up charge for offset, and about the same to add a mosaic strip!

• worthy
    10 years ago

Wow! Don't let my tilesetters see that. Same charge here. Only more for tiles that come in, say 4-7 tile patterns, where you really need a second set of eyes to ensure the pattern is not lost. As in the floor pictured below.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 12:26

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Most initial tile quotes are for "standard" 12x12 in a plain grid layout. Just switching to large format already requires more material and cutting than for a standard layout. That's your first upcharge. 10-20% just for large format. Add in more complexity, and you've got more material costs and more labor costs for more cutting. Another 10-20% for both labor and materials would be about right. More for labor if it's in a smaller space like a bath that has a lot of things to fit the tile around. Large format tile makes that especially difficult.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for explanation! It makes sense when you explain it, it just really caught me by surprise.