Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Lime Plaster--expansion joints?

Posted by BBSteele (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 12:45

We are building a new home that is a replica of a late 1800 farmhouse. The building material is a product called "faswall" or a recycled wood chip product in a concrete slurry, lined with mineral wool, stacked over rebar, and filled with a concrete pour: We are also building a healthy home, with breathable walls... the question I have is ARE EXPANSION JOINTS NECESSARY? Our lime plasterer is quite young, although experienced, and I just don't want to do the expansion joints unless absolutely necessary b/c they are apparently visible. Please share your expertise with me :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Lime Plaster--expansion joints?

What is the square footage of the wall that the expansion joint is being called for?

Are you sure its an expansion joint (which would go all the way through the wall, including through the faswall), or a control joint (which just goes through the stucco/finish)?

I'd say that there would be no need for expansion joints, and likely no need for control joints unless the wall is abnormally large and unbroken (no window/door openings). Something like 20 lin. ft. or 300 sqft. between openings would be okay without a control joint.

o

Lime plaster? I don't remember all I probably should, but isn't lime plaster less durable than cement plaster? Is there a special reason to use lime plaster? You will not be able to tell the difference visually. But if you have any sort of extreme weather conditions the lime plaster may not be as durable. I'd do some checking before doing lime plaster.

o

It is our understanding that lime plaster is very durable, if the application is done properly -- as it cures back to its original form: limestone. Using lime plaster is a decision we made based upon using traditional materials that have withstood time in Eastern Europe, in a climate close to our own in Oregon. We recognize the cement plaster has its benefits, but the house is being built based upon healthy home specifications, and whenever possible, we are opting to choose traditional, organic materials. Thanks for your thoughts.

o

" we are opting to choose traditional, organic materials"

Portland cement is just as "traditional" (think ancient Rome) and "organic" (dig rock form earth, grind to powder and dry) as limestone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here