Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen1234_gw

Hardwood floors upstairs - transition piece b/w rooms?

Ellen1234
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm not actually building a house, but am putting in hardwood floors in my entire upstairs, so thought this would be a good place to ask this question.

I have 4 bedrooms and the "hallway" (area open to foyer really) that will have the floors. I'm wondering for new homes do people generally run the hardwood continuously into all the rooms without a transition piece between the rooms/hall (when necessary)? Or do people run a transition piece, where the benefit would be that if any room needs to get refinished it can be done by itself (w/o having to re-do the entire floor)?

In my case where I live at the house, I'm thinking the other benefit of using the transition piece is that we could do the floors in 2 phases - move all the furniture into a couple of the rooms and finish the other areas, and then move the furniture into those rooms and then do the other rooms.

The alternative is to do the continuous hardwood and move EVERYTHING into the 2 bathrooms and downstairs (not sure I can convince my husband to actually do this!).

What is the standard practice?

Thanks!

Comments (2)