Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happydoc

Windows and Patio Doors (Bi-fold)

Happydoc
10 years ago

Hello Everybody,

Long time lurker, finally taking the plunge. I have been researching windows and everything points to Marvin Integrity line as the best value for the money. We have about 35 windows and the difference between Andersen 400 and Integrity All-Utrex is couple hundred dollars. My builder hasn't used Marvin in ten years but is open. I am leaning towards Integrity after online reviews and seeing it used a lot in Homes of Parades. Any thoughts?

My second question, is we are using phantom screens for a covered deck to give a screened in porch effect. The breakfast nook and the screen porch share a wall which is 16 feet wide. In orginal plans, I had a 2 panel sliding door which I think is approximately 6 ft. If I go to a 3 panel, I will get ~9 ft glass but only three ft opening. So I am considering a Bi-fold door with a 12 ft opening.

Anybody use bi-fold doors in cold climiates like Minnesota. I have seen a few in Minneapolis and there are several on Houzz, leading to believe insulation although will be less not significantly less.

I am considering Lania doors which is coming to around $10,500 for 12ft wide 8ft high. The specs lania doors are over 70% glass, with Low E (366) with Argon your U Factor would be .29/.24 and your SHGC would be .27, UV would be .05 and Visible Light Transmittance would be 66%. Also, consider La cantina, nanawall, and Marvin. Anybody have any thoughts, especially Marvin Bi-fold door since we might go with Marvin windows.

I am attaching an image I made of the area if that helps. Probably will get rid of the transom window in the great room, still experimenting. Lots of decisions are coming up, this site is such an invaluable resource.

Comments (7)

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually was going to ask about Integrity vs Ultimate slider but forgot. Nice that you added that in. Is there a big difference between the Ultimate vs Integrity line? I went to the showroom to and had a hard time telling the difference between Andersen and Integirty and Integrity vs Ultimate. Although, the ultimate have a lot of nice features.

For the main floor and upstairs we are doing the white trim, so I figured the All-ultrex would be more durable than Ultrex-clad and since we have more of a contemporary theme would looker cleaner. I think the Ultrex wood is slightly more expensive but that is less of a concern. Is there a huge difference in appearance when painted white? We will custom paint the interior as well.

I didn't look at the Ultimate slider and didn't realize they have 4 panels. Is there two openings? If soo, is there a stile in between?

I have look everywhere on the internet, but very little information about these bi-fold doors and insulation. I have seen applications in MN but how effective they are I am not sure.

I am guessing a slider door would be better than a bi-fold and it looks like roughly have the cost. I am also thinking of going with Marvin since they have far better warrenties as well. It just might be a lot easier.

Thanks for all your help. If anybody, has Ultimate sliders in 4 panel or bi-fold doors in cold climates would love to hear from you.

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How are the screens? I really liked Andersen retractable screen, the casements for Marvin have them but sliders don't. Sigh..

This post was edited by Happydoc on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:31

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

Marvin Ultimate is a wood frame rather than fiberglass. Its more expensive than Integrity overall and there are mixed signals about the longevity of cased wood windows versus fiberglass or vinyl. Marvin is as a whole is very highly regarded tho and they are the producer of both lines. The Ultimates have more customization options over fiberglass Integrity. There is just some things you can't easily do with fiberglass as compared to wood. For example, our home is going to have some gothic arch top windows. I couldn't get them in Integrity and had to again go Ultimate for those particular windows. And believe me, they aren't cheap (probably due to the custom gothic radius). But the outer colors coordinate between Ultimate and Integrity so it will hopefully be a flawless mix. Windows aren't installed just yet or I'd post pics.

I wouldn't believe white painted interior on the wood ultrex would be any less clean looking than all ultrex assuming whoever is painting knows what they are doing. I'd definitely track down a showroom and compare the two lines side by side. With the Wood ultrex its just a more classic looking window profile I think. The all ultrex is quite plain and almost, I dunno, cheap looking in comparison. Its definitely the more durable option tho, no paint to scratch (although the fiberglass can be painted) or wood surface to ding... Its a judgement call for you really.

The Ultimate sliders come in 4 panel yes, in 10, 12 and 16 feet wide it looks like straight out of the catalogue. OXXO configuration so the 2 middle sections open to form one opening and net clear openings here listed in my catalogue lead me to believe if both are open, there is no obstruction in the center. The 12' wide one has a net clear opening value of 57 7/16" (or 59 for the non french door)

The ultimate sliders have 2 versions..basic patio door and french door. The french door version has wider rails framing the glass, to mimic the look of a french door. The basic version has more glass area and thinner rails so if you go that route make sure you choose the model you prefer

To throw more choices your way they do also have these in 3 panel like the integrity but in greater widths. I see here a 12' three panel as well if you just want one active slider but a little wider than the 3foot operator of the 9 wide integrity..lol

What you should be looking for to find out how drafty these types of doors are in order to compare them to each other is air infiltration values. Unfortunately with Marvin these can be a bit of a hassle to come by but you could take numbers from a similar manufacturers slider and compare it to your lanai or bifold doors to maybe get a rough idea.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

What is the plan to avoid having a thermal bridge with the bi-fold doors?

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

Pretty sure the screens are standard sliding screens, I did get mine in a high transparancy screen material because that is where my best view is out the back of the house. They also have the option of a swinging double screen so it would open like a french door out into your outdoor space but I don't know if you'd want something like that on a slider, or even if you could and that option is just for their french doors.

Ultimate windows do have retractable screens listed as an option for their windows, I just don't see it here on the doors.

You can get phantom screens or other retractractable screens if you must have retractable and possibly just have them leave the screen off the door order..I'm really not 100% sure on that. I was happy with good old sliding screens..easy to fix and maintain, even for a DIY moron like me. Read a few stories about retractable door screens that put me off a tad about pursuing them, specially with the high transparancy screen option, just wasn't a priority.

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, I think that solves my problem. The 3 panel 12 ft will be a perfect solution as I was trying would like access from the left due to the breakfast table (I looked in the catalog but didn't even look at 3 panel since ultrex went to 9 ft). My builder said two middle doors with no stile cause a lot of air leakage, it does make sense. The 3 panel will be a good compromise between glass and access.

Now I have to decide all ultrex and ultrex wood? Seems like majority go with the Ultrex wood, since I presuming at least 50% of these ppl are also doing white trim, it leads me to believe your right. The showroom I went to had older windows so it was a little difficult to tell. Might have to check again.