Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virgilcarter_gw

The 8 Things Successful Architects and Designers Do

virgilcarter
9 years ago

This is the subject of a current thread over on Houzz.com that's worth reading for all those interested in and/or considering the design and construction of a custom home.

Comments (24)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Best quote. "Finding the bigger, guiding idea and creating a story around it imbues every design decision with meaning."

And that's what's usually missing from the "mill" plans or self drawn plans. A central organizing idea.

2nd best quote. "Too often we let complexity act as a proxy for interest." Oh how true! How often do we see 97 gabled exteriors with 5 different building materials and 9 different height sections.

Here's the direct link.

Here is a link that might be useful: [8 Things Successful Architects and Designers Do[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-things-successful-architects-and-designers-do-stsetivw-vs~30635884?vm=thumbs)

• mojomom
    9 years ago

We interviewed and selected our Architect a few weeks ago when we were in Co. He introduced us to the term "parti" as we were discussing our concept. I really think he understands what we want and will be exited to see what he comes up with. We're off to a good start anyway!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The term "Parti" comes from the first formal school of architecture, the Ecole de Beaux Arts in Paris and it means a "departure point".

My roommate in architecture school spent his 3rd year at the Ecole de Beaux Arts. He recently told me that students were given two or three hours to read a one or two page building program, prioritize the essential elements of the program and develop a âÂÂPartiâ on yellow tracing paper. The rough sketch was then transformed into a hard-line pencil drawing of a Plan, Section and Façade on a roughly 8 ýâ x 11â piece of paper. A carbon copy of the Parti was kept by the Studio Master and the student took a month to prepare a formal presentation of the design.

Architects in the US think of the Parti as a statement of the intent of the design since architectural education here involves a lot of words and they are not required to produce a drawing of it but when presenting a project in school being accused of having no parti was the kiss of death.

Homeowners in the US, being strong consumers and shoppers, rarely use architects and often start the design process at the end instead of the beginning by selecting a pre-designed plan and then working backward to modify it for their family needs. The casualty of this approach is there is no "departure point" therefore no central organizing concept to guide the design of the multitude of smaller elements as demonstrated by the issues raised on this forum. I've mentioned this several times in the past.

I'm becoming tired of offering advice to homeowners backing into a house design and think it is probably time to admit it is a waste of time.

• virgilcarter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the Ecole was all about drawing, and hardly about talking. Many U.S. architectural schools were the opposite--about talking and hardly drawing.

Of course, successful architects must master both, but the point of architecture is to build, and not to talk.

Many consumers do initially think about the plan and how it may accommodate their life style, together with the features and finishes that they have become used to seeing on television as "desirable". That's because that's their "consumer education" about architecture and building.

As a result, professional critique and commentary about plans posted here are often difficult to impossible.

Every so often, however, there's a breakthrough that makes it all worthwhile. Just my mileage...everyone else's may vary!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Will someone give a specific example of a departure point or a central organizing idea?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The only thing that's incorrect about article is the title-- the word "successful"-- if they are talking about financial success. Plenty of very well remunerated architects design really vulgar monstrosities and someone's stamping all those "stock plans" and 45 cornered, seventeen gabled houses.

Maybe it should say "8 things (good/educated/______) architects and designers do."

• qbryant
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing,very good read.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Architects pay to be praised on Houzz. They're not talking about any other architects.

• User
    9 years ago

To explain parti simply, with a pop reference that most would have seen, think Kohler commercial. You know the one where the couple passes through an architect's office showing pictures and models of impressive structures. When asked how he can help her, she pulls out a Kohler faucet and tells him, ''Design a house around this.''

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Symbol

• tulika123
    9 years ago

rchitectâÂÂs design process is extremely personal and nuanced. For example, I have certain tools that I reach for ritually when I start a new project. One is a favorite lead pencil with a lightweight, medium-size barrel and a thinly ridged grip, loaded with a medium-weight HB lead thatâÂÂs not too soft and not too hard. It has a broken clip at the top and a small blue button near my thumb to advance the lead.

Here is a link that might be useful: software companies in ghaziabad

• renovator8
    9 years ago

SPAM ALERT

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Reno, it's only Spam if do not need a "software company in Ghaziabad"! lol

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So, if I said, "Design a home around this"....
    {{gwi:1495919}}From Snow White album

That would work? :)

• virgilcarter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lavender_lass, of course that's all you need to say if the photo conveys all that is truly important to you. I can imagine a variety of wonderful residences designed which embody the spirit and emotion of this photo.

But it you have some other essential or important needs or wants it may be important to communicate them...and then tell the architect what's most important to you...and then work together to explore and finalize what truly works best for you.

The essential difference in architecture is understanding and being able to reconcile the "story"--the emotional, spiritual, aspirational, personal perspective--with the "functional"--the 4 bedrooms, great room, dining room, kitchen, laundry, cubbies, 4-car garage, shop, home theater, swimming pool, etc.

Architecture is all about a balance between the "story" and "function", where both are included in some sort of reasonable and enhancing harmony. And of course the resolution of "story" and "function" is determined by other considerations--budget, site, schedule, etc.

Unfortunately, all too many residential consumers think and talk about the "functional" and "features"--such as granite counters and walk-in closets and never get around to either the "story" or the "functional", much less a clear priority of how the "story" and the "function" work best for them.

This is why it takes architects a lot of time in early design explorations and studies to work with home owners to find what is really important to them.

It's also why we have endless posts here asking for critique of stock plans that have no "story" and are simply generic shelter with various "features" added.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

A Parti is an original design concept usually in the form of a diagram and/or statement for the entire building based on a written program and a site analysis. A photo of an element of someone else's design can be helpful but it should be secondary to the Parti and a designer should fight the natural urge to let preconceived ideas short-circuit the development of larger organizing ideas that the smaller ideas can support and reinforce in the next stage of the design.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 5:54

• renovator8
    9 years ago

To add to my earlier statement, don't confuse an inspiration with a Parti. Both are useful but the Parti is what will continue to support the design effort when your inspiration cannot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Interesting article...I agree with much of the text, and had the pleasure of experiencing those things when working with our architect. But some of the pictures, not so much...especially that hanging staircase. There's a difference between being creative and being ridiculous. There's a test in my mind that I always apply....just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

This is a great thread and I enjoy the commentary from all the experienced architects who have chimed in. Thank you all, and thank you virgil for posting the original!

I have a question I'd like your insight on. We read about the importance of simplifying, and then about the value of repetition. "The cardinal rule of repetition is that it takes a minimum of three of anything to see the benefits. If two is good, three is better." How do you balance simplicity and repetition? Does the repetition rule apply to exterior gables? I know on this forum multi-gabled facades are generally not favored by the experienced architects. (OK I also get the part about breaking the rules, which comes right after the repetition section. So maybe this is an area to break rules?) Or is a three gabled facade generally appealing, but for example a gable in a gable not so much, or gables of various sizes? Does repetition ever begin to diminish simplicity? Probably very design dependent, I understand, but still I'd like your insights. (Not because I'm building but I truly like learning from the folks here.)

Also FYI I love the first part about story telling. As a marketer, I am constantly exhorted (via articles in the many sources I read) to "tell a story." It's much harder than one might think, but oh so effective.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

"... the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules." Captain Barbossa of the Black Pearl

These rules are of little importance; sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. What is of greater importance is whether or not individual design ideas not only fit in terms of proportion but if they support or reinforce the Parti. Often that quality can only be found by a process of elimination so ruling any option out is usually not necessary; the idea will be eliminated if it doesn't work with the rest of the design or the surroundings.

I hate to tell you this but the design of buildings cannot be learned in a year and often takes many years. For that reason alone it is best to make your mistakes on other people's houses. This is often why young inexpensive architects and designers have such a poor track record for pleasing their clients.

It is easy to experiment with design ideas especially on a forum like this one but the true test is when you are sitting across the table from a client and you are handed some pages from a magazine and asked to design a house as beautiful as the example but smaller with a 3 car garage and on a tight budget in a month.

• virgilcarter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chicagoans, "simplicity" and "repetition" are simply two of many design principles which may be useful in architecture, art, music, dance, and many of the other arts.

There's nothing mandatory or magic about either of them, IMO. For example, while I might like and prefer "simplicity" and the old Mies adage, "less is more", other design oriented folks may prefer complexity and diversity in their own work, thinking that "less is a bore", as the husband and wife architecture team, theVenturis of Philadelphia famously proposed years ago.

Repetition may be defined as the relationship between a minimum of three similar objects; while proportion may be defined as the relationship between two similar objects.

Knowing this, however, doesn't mean that bland or inappropriate repetition of something--three gables shapes on a building--will make automatically result in an attractive, appropriate and successful design. Good design is a much more complex equation than that.

These design principles (and many others) are simply principles which have been developed and tested over centuries, successfully standing the test of time. In the time of Greek and Roman architecture, for example, many of these principles were actually rules, which were sacrosanct and mandatory. Over the centuries, however, they have tended to become more of a "guideline" than a "rule", as technology and the size and scale of buildings have evolved and changed from Classical times.

There is a principle in painting, applicable to all early painters: "One must first know the rules before they can be broken successfully!" The same holds true with architects and all those in the arts, IMO. For example, it is likely difficult to impossible for one to be a successful jazz improvisationalist without first knowing the applicable rules of music--and having the skill to execute them successfully.

At the end of the day, all of the "rules" and "guidelines" will be of little help to an unschooled, unknowing or uncaring architect or designer. On the other hand, an experienced and creative architect or designer, familiar with these rules will have a much greater repertoire to use for her/his design.

Does this make any sense?

This post was edited by virgilcarter on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 19:23

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

When I think repetition, I think about the "theme" we have running through our house...a segmental arch. We didn't try to overdo it, but by having it appear in multiple places throughout the house, it gives the home a sense of cohesion. We used it on our front entrance and garage doors and in our landscaping and we used it in places like our kitchen island and soffit over the island and in the barrel vaulted ceiling in the DR. In addition to giving the house a theme, it makes the design process easier...as we knew what shape we wanted in our fireplace or doors....

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Virgil - makes perfect sense!

Reno - I certainly never meant to imply that building design can be learned in a year (if that reply was meant for me) -- in fact based on some of the stock plans I've seen online, I think some architects never learn it well. (ouch that was kind of mean but there you have it)

Annie - your repeated arch sounds lovely! And soothing too... I think we feel better when we subconsciously know what to expect.

FWIW my questions are merely out of curiosity because I love homes, looking at layouts, and reading comments from those who know the subject.

Thanks again all for the insightful comments!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

chicagoans, I didn't mean my comments to be critical of you or anyone else; I was just making an observation about how slow the learning process can be. Perhaps I should have added that it probably took longer for me than for others even with very good teachers. Also, I design houses for clients and the process involves learning a great deal about the future occupants and their lifestyle in a short time but the important advantage is the opportunity to collaborate - a necessity for good design IMO.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 8:46

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So...any plan suggestions? LOL

Seriously, I just realized my picture looks great with the GW background. Purple flowers and all :)