Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$18 Solid Brass Interior Door Hardware - too good to be true?

Posted by wishiwasinoz (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 11:58

Please tell me this isn't too good to be true...
I found some door hardware out of England. It looks gorgeous but is so inexpensive. What am I missing here?

Made in Europe from Solid Brass

Precision Pressed Brass Backplate
Four Door Handle Finishes
15 Year Mechanical Guarantee
Made in Portugal

Here is a link that might be useful: $18 Solid Brass Lever Lock Set & Backplate in Polished Nickel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $18 Solid Brass Interior Door Hardware - too good to be true?

Don't know but I am bookmarking.

o

Your missing the fact that you will need to pay for shipping from England and shipping to return them when they are garbage.

o

Plus the VAT tax, plus the custom's broker's fees on the UK side, plus the shipping, plus any fees that you may owe on the US side for import fees and taxes. That's now $100 hardware, if you're lucky it's that cheap.

o

I will call them tomorrow. Shipping isn't all that expensive for 10 items. There is no VAT since it is being shipped out of the UK & I highly doubt the US customs fees will be that high. I've gotten things from Europe & Australia & haven't ever dealt with ridiculous import fees. They will also take into account the value of the shipment, which won't be all that high.

I may just order 1 to check it out & go from there. It sure beats $100-$150/door. It is worth the gamble of 45 pounds the first go around to see if it is worth it. With the 15 year warranty, I am thinking it is a quality item & the fact that is manufactured in Portugal (not PRC) makes me believe the quality will be that much better.

o

Oh, & there is a 5% discount on orders over 100 pounds sterling.

o

I called the store in England. The guy I spoke to said this door hardware is very popular & they sell a lot of it. He said it is not top of the line in quality, however it isn't junk, either. He said I really need to feel it & hold it to decide for myself. I ordered a few samples to see in person.

GAonmymind, I will keep you posted!

o

Love the handles! Can you update this post with your impressions once you receive the samples (and what the final shipping and custom charges end up being!)

o

"Precision Pressed Brass Backplate "

Stamped Brass, not cast

My question is "what is the backset distance", because it's European, not American.

o

Guess what came in the mail today? Want the great news? No customs fees. FedEx delivered them no worries - only a signature was required.

Overall, they are awesome. The backplate on the original link is flimsy, but I wasn't expectiting the world.

This however, is very impressive:
http://www.handles4doors.co.uk/door_handles/door_handles_on_rose/urfic_geneva_lever_handle_on_rose.htm

It is heavy. I need to weigh it, but it is heavy duty. The polished nickel finish is gorgeous. I am going to change out a handle in the rental we are in to give it some good wear & tear over the next few months. I will put it on the most used door in the house, the main bathroom. I will report back my findings.

Shipping for 10 of these is only 50 pounds. As long as they function & wear well, they are definitely going on the second floor of the house.

Made in Europe from Solid Brass

Four Door Handle Finishes
Suits Modern/Traditional Interiors
Escutcheon and Bathroom Options
Comfortable, Cosy Feel

Here is a link that might be useful: Urfic Geneva Lever Handle on Rose

o

wishiwasinoz,

glad you took the risk to order these! I'm looking at this as well. Dumb question: do these have all the "guts" of the handle mechanism, or are they ONLY what you see: a handle and backplate? Also, the description says "sold in sets" Does that mean you got one for each side of the door when you ordered?

Can't wait to hear more!!!!

o

I will take a pic tomorrow of what all the guts look like! You do get the handles & "the guts"! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here