Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking For Cost-Efficient-To-Build Ranch-Style Home Plans

Posted by megamorph (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 11:52

We are preparing to build in the Houston, TX area and are looking for home plans that are cost efficient to build. Some things we are looking for in the plans:

1. One story (ranch style)
2. 2600-3000sf
3. Split bedrooms (master away from other bedrooms)
4. Prefer open floor plan
5. Not crazy about formals, but could deal with it.

Our budget is ~$300,000.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking For Cost-Efficient-To-Build Ranch-Style Home Plans

If budget is a concern, then look at existing homes. Your money goes MUCH further.

o

Yes, I realize you get more for your money when purchasing an existing home; however, we have a rather large (rare) lot in the city of Houston that we want to build on.

o

I can send you my plan which was 3130 SF single story. We built this for $314,000 and I could easily cut $20,000 out of the cost with just a few suggestions.

send me a PM with your e-mail.

o

txaggie: I am really interested in your suggestions! Although, I can't locate any contact info for you on this site. Another member here emailed me, so I assume you can access my email? Sorry, this forum software is a bit confusing to me.

o

You could also look into manufactured housing, depending on what constraints in design you may be willing to live with....typically they have a limit on the width of the "boxes" as well as the length so they can be transported. The savings comes from the very rapid assembly of the structure. And being factory built and designed for transport, they tend to be very square (right angles are right angles) and very sound homes. There's less materials wastage and the house is protected from the weather at all times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here