Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iluvry_gw

Built in blinds in french doors?

iluvry
9 years ago

I was looking at a friend's home who has recently built. She said don't get french doors to your deck with the built in blinds as they are expensive, and the blinds could break inside the glass and then there is no way to fix them. She said just get a regular door with a full or half window. But my deck faces East so I will need blinds on it in the mornings, and if the blinds are on the outside they bang against the glass and break when kids open and close them. Or I guess I could just put a sheer curtain on them, but that is not my favorite option.

What are others opinions on the built in blinds inside the glass of a french door?

Comments (11)

• rrah
    9 years ago

I can't solve the kid issue, but one can purchase blinds that attach to the door at the top and bottom to prevent the swinging and banging.

BTW--the kids are just as likely to break the inside the glass blinds as they are the exterior type.

I have to agree with your friend, plus I might want to change them at some point.

• bpath
    9 years ago

What would cause the blinds to break inside the glass? The house I grew up in had between-the-panes blinds on al the bathroom windows, they got used a lot, and 45 years later they all still work.

Even if they do break, surely they are reparable?

• pookapie
    9 years ago

I think your friend is misinformed or isn't aware of how blinds inside doors work. My home was finished in March 2014 and I put blinds in my east-facing back patio doors and wouldn't do it any other way - I had the same concerns you mention in your original post.

I broke them right after move-in while learning how to operate them. You would have to check with the manufacturer, but my understanding is that most of these doors are easily repaired/serviced with no problems (mine are Thermatru) and for low or no cost. Just ask your installer and they will tell you.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Therma Tru would be a sealed insulated glass unit that would need to be replaced at a cost of approximately 2/3 the cost of the door if I remember correctly. The blinds are not accessible for repair in anything expect Pella as there unit is essentially a removable glass panel and not a true insulated unit (and I cannot in anyway shape or form recommend anything by Pella).

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Window coverings for French doors are a problem -- that's one reason I much prefer the new gliding doors that have "the look" but function like sliding doors: No inswing, easier to cover with a curtain.

I have French doors now and am not crazy about them. I have "roll up" fabric shades on each door. Then I have a curtain that can close across the whole door unit -- though we never close them.

If I were starting this project from the beginning, I would choose gliding doors with blinds inside the door. I wouldn't worry over-much about these "interior blinds" breaking -- unless I had small children who might operate them roughly.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 15:37

• Stephanie Halfacre
    9 years ago

Question for Mrs. Pete...why aren't you crazy about the french doors? The sliders seem so...i dunno...70's ish.

I'm having two in my great room that will swing out onto our deck. I am wondering now what I'll do about a screen if they're open. Oh boy, always something new to learn...

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Only thing you can do for a screen on an outswing french are the magic or retractable screen and in my opinion they are a PITA.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    9 years ago

Thanks, millworkman. I guess I need to reconsider having them swing in...or do you have another suggestion if I want a screen?

• stumpydarby
    9 years ago

I am considering these for my great room and my bedroom. The blinds on the inside look nice and I have to (HAVE to!) have some kind of blind due to the soon that comes in.

I think we will end up going with them as there really isn't another option

• millworkman
    9 years ago

mrshalf, that's all I have........

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have Anderson French doors to our patio, facing east. if you have the special glass, you can stand behind them in the morning and not feel any heat at all, and there is no glare. Much better solution than the blinds,,,,,unless you need privacy. Love them.