Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless Steel Garage Door Openers ????

Posted by angela12345 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 11:30

I am in search of a garage door opener with stainless steel parts or ideas for other material that will stand up to a salt water environment. Primarily the track, rollers, etc. Please help with any comments or ideas you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless Steel Garage Door Openers ????

See here.

Likely overkill unless you're operating a commercial carwash.

o
RE: Stainless Steel Garage Door Openers ????

Thanks Worthy ! I have contacted American Garage Door Supply and they replied very quickly. They have 2 that they recommend that are both air powered operators ... Supralift II for $1400 that is a "jackshaft" style operator ... and NuMax for $2200 that is a "trolley or drawbar" style operator. They both are completely designed to be corrosion resistant (and used in commercial car washes).

I also called Overhead Door Co. They recommend their Genie SilentMax 1000 or 1200. It has a belt drive (instead of chain that will rust) and the track is aluminum (instead of steel). It sells in Home Depot for about $200. According to cust service, this is the same model as their professinal model IntelliG 1000 or 1200 that sells thru their dealers.

What I have right now is a 1/2hp LiftMaster chain drive that is already rusting and hindering the movement in barely over one year of use. The main problem is with the track that the trolley travels on ... it is already getting so rusty that it creates tension on the travel and activates the safety feature which of course stops the door. Also, it binds up. Our installer recommended that we spray it with Liquid Wrench (not WD40) and it helped at first, but not so much anymore. I also sent an email to Chamberlain / LiftMaster, but they have not responded yet.

Who else manufactures garage door openers that I can contact ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here