Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

ID this wood floor, please.

ILoveRed
10 years ago

What do you think? There are more pics of this floor if that would help.

The architect on the project wasn't sure. If you can identify the floor, do you know a source?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Looks like a 8" handscraped hickory. Lots of manufacturers will have a similar product. Ask at your local pro flooring store.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LWO, do you think it is site finished?

Do you think it's stained or natural? Thanks.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Lightly stained. Most in that width will be engineered. It's more stable. Pre-finished. There's no real way to production site finish handscraped and not smooth out the scrapings or make it look gloopy. An artisan on hands and knees could do it, but you're talking insane labor prices. Virginia Vintage and Anderson both have something similar, and I think Adleta and Mohawk too, but I don't have the sample boards in front of me at the moment.

We did a similar, although narrower floor, in our new showroom for the walkways, where we wanted something durable for traffic. Bruce Frontier Hickory, 4". We had it on special for around $3 a square foot as our grand opening special, but it's only around $.3.25 normally. Narrower is a lot cheaper than wider!

In progress.

Golden Brown color completed.

Sahara Sand completed.

Light Mocha completed.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

LWO...looks beautiful!

Wider is more pricey....also longer boards is more costly too...

I love that kitchen mood shot!

Pam

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

To me it looks more like random width pine flooring

• redheadeddaughter
    10 years ago

That's one of my favorite inspiration floor photos! I've been looking for that nice, light/medium color, distressed (but not obviously done by machine), old looking floor just like this and I've received dozens of samples. I've never recommended a floor before. Those in the photo reaaallly look like reclaimed floors to me... but I'll let the flooring experts address that. The ones I like the most and that look the most like this floor are these: Elmwood Reclaimed Lumber: 2 options I've seen:

1) Antique Hickory (reclaimed) - they have unfinished (they are already reclaimed and distressed, but need a "finish" on site) or they can finish for you with a great oil finish (ask for both samples). These are gorgeous floors and if you do a mixed width it is more affordable. Personally I really prefer the wider planks. They offer them up to 9", but it does cost more. Oh, and they have a "country select" hickory that is also nice, but less like the floor above.

2) Antique Heart Pine Rustic - reclaimed. I know, I know. It's pine. The Rustic oil finish brings it to this color approximately. But I think the price is better on the pine even though its heart pine and also reclaimed. The color is alot less orange (and more like the photo above) than any other heart pine I've seen. It's beautiful in person! I love my sample floors so much I've been carrying them all over the house with me while I'm working on the plans. ;)

Might be worth looking at their samples? I prefer Elmwood even over Carlisle... and their floors are fabulous too. Elmwood and Carlisle will have much longer (in addition to wider) planks than those engineered planks, which gives a more authentic look imo. If you send this pic to them I bet they can match it.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LWO--thanks for all of the pics. Beautiful floors. But, I really love the wide floors in my inspiration pictures. Are these wide plank floors a mistake? Do most customers live to regret them?

Spotty--I know...that kitchen makes me drool.

Annie--I love the pine too. I don't know if I have the nerve though. I love the kitchen you posted. Are there any more pictures of it? Would love to see the house it goes with...and the bell. What a fun touch.

Redheadeddaughter--

Thanks for the helpful answer. I see that my email to you bounced back to me. Not sure why? I will definitely order the samples you suggested. Is the website:
    Elmwood Reclaimed Timber? Want to make sure I was looking at the right flooring.

Thanks all.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

You can do wide plank, but just doubling the size from 4" to 8" will triple the material costs. If your budget can easily handle that, then you can probably do the necessary preparation to make your install more successful.

Where do you live? What is your foundation type? Do you practice humidity control in your home? Wide planks move a LOT if you don't control the humidity. And they aren't really recommended over slab without some type of troweled on moisture barrier and using engineered wood. And you still have to be prepared for some movement, simply because of the width of the top layer. It will be much less than solid though.

People that don't spend the time and money to prep to properly are the ones who regret wide plank. Those who do it correctly, and choose a species that will handle their wear patterns, and embrace patina, are happy with it.

• redheadeddaughter
    10 years ago

Yes... Elmwood reclaimed timber. Just for grins and giggles you might want to have them send you the heart pine rustic because they offer wider planks (up to 12 inches I think?) aaand it is much harder than the new stuff. I'm testing out the samples and they are holding up really well! But the hickory is just lovely. And the samples are much different (to me) than the computer screen photos.

I did receive your email.... not sure why it bounced back to you too? I'm emailing here in case the emailing back and forth doesn't work. :)

I lived with wide plank flooring in our last house for 3 years and it was my favorite part of the home! There was some movement over the seasons but it just seemed like it was a living floor and I loved that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sorry, no....just a pic I pulled off of Pinterest...no idea if there are more pics or not.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Redheadeddaughter, did you end up buying from Elmwood? If so, are you happy with your floors? I'm considering them for our new build. They seem to have pretty good pricing....and gorgeous floors!