Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting over after 5 years

Posted by mmks (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 10:38

I was a steady lurker sometimes poster here 5 years ago when we built our new home. A month ago we had a house fire that started from an electrical problem in the attic area above the garage. We all got out, including our pets, and we got many of the pictures and such so we are very lucky! But now we are back down to a bare foundation, they are coming out to check that and make sure it is okay. I know we are using the same basic floor plan, but was wondering if you could help me out on what is new and exciting in the past 5 years! I know this is very broad, but I would appreciate your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting over after 5 years

I don't have much in the way of exciting design trends, but I am sure am glad no people were hurt. Very sorry about the loss of your house. Perhaps the silver lining is you can have a chance to remedy a few of the "nagging" things that bugged you with the original design!

I'm very traditional and classic, so my tendency is to use those type design elements and finishes to avoid being caught up in "trends" that will change again in 5 years. Best of luck in rebuilding....

o

We have survived two fires, one at our home in the 70s and one in an apt. where we lived as we rebuilt. Certainly gives you a new perspective on the value of "things."

You know the things you loved about your house, and the things that you would have changed a bit. Here's your chance.

o

It's an opportunity to build green if you didn't the first time...put money into insulation, windows, geothermal or whatever else might work in your area, active solar, passive solar, tankless hot water, etc. etc.

o

I am glad everyone is ok. Maybe you could post a plan and let us know what are some of your wishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here