Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adymax

Concrete foundation wall pushed - New Construction

adymax
10 years ago

We building a new home and we noticed that on the back of the house they digged back next to the concrete foundation. I asked the construction manager and he told us they had to push the concrete foundation back about 1/2 inch because for some reason the excavator hit the wall after they poured in the concrete resulting in a shorter length between walls which was a problem when they started putting the house together. This resulted in some small cracks also. He said they will cure the cracks with something, I can't remember what. Should we be worried? See pictures below.

This post was edited by adymax on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 12:16

Comments (22)

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic1

Here is a link that might be useful:

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pictures

This post was edited by adymax on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 10:45

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Looks like a lot of work for just being 1/2" out...did this happen after the floor joists were installed? If so then I would have more concern and "question" the 1/2 inch.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

What is up with these bulldozer drivers..this is the second post this month!

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Loto we asked again and the field manager says that it happened before they put in the floor joists when they were compacting back the soil around the foundation. I donâÂÂt understand why they had to push the wall back ý inch. What we should do? Thy will do epoxy injection, is this good enough ? Please give us advice.

This post was edited by adymax on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 21:42

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

That stinks... no doubt about it. I am sorry you are having to deal with this type of thing. Building is difficult enough. If it were me, I would make some calls and get an independent opinion as to if the epoxy injection will work. I would absolutely make sure you had a reputable company do the work and make sure it carries some sort of warranty. I've looked at a few homes where they've had foundation wall cracks repaired with epoxy...

Good luck.

Saftgeek-

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cracks are not that big so I don't know if epoxy will work or not. We don't know a lot of people here so we don't know who to call, we will try city inspector and private inspector. Damage has been done and I'm worried that in 3-4 years cracks get larger and we get water leaks. We plan to live in this house for the next 20 years.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Epoxy injection is used in residential foundations for sealing minor settlement cracks to prevent water damage. These cracks, which are vertical, horizontal and diagonal are from structural loading and may need further reinforcement. Perhaps with structural epoxy and/or something else.

The wall looks to be broken vertically along the form joint.

So the builder has already pushed the broken out section back and is now bracing it for what? So it can be glued together before it slumps over?

I'm a builder and if I saw this the first thing I would do is call my engineer for an opinion or a reference. If this were a block wall, it would be rebuilt.

I can hear the contractor already: "No problem. Nothing to worry about." Don't accept that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foundation Crack Evaluation

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 0:46

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Worthy- When you say "The wall looks to be broken vertically along the form joint. " what are you referring to? Where is the form Joint? This a major builder who is building the house? What we can do?

• worthy
    10 years ago

I'm referring to the vertical joint, which appears to be cracked. The fact that they told you that they moved that part of the foundation a half inch would seem to confirm that. Now they're bracing it. For what?

I would document your concerns in writing to the builder. And request a written response to you as to what they're doing to remedy the defect. If you can get a municipal inspector on site it would be of use. (Though, of course, they tend to defer to the "authority" of tract builders.)

Their repairs may be fine. But this way you have accumulated a paper trail of exactly what has occurred in case you have to seek a legal remedy.

(FWIW, I work under a regime that requires all non owner-built homes to be registered and warranteed with a government programme. If the homeowner has a concern on closing or after, the programme provides for a determination of fault and remedy by the builder or the insurer.)

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your answers. We contacted the city inspector and he is going to inspect the foundation wall today and call us back.

This post was edited by adymax on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 12:15

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

Yikes!! Out here we NEVER backfill before floor joists are all on! The floor joists HELP prevent the walls from being pushed in! Hell, we built my whole house save for the roof before backfilling. And our inspector CRINGES whenever someone backfills before floor joists are up. Just too much pressure with all that soil, never mind the big trucks. Sorry you're dealing with this!

• ibewye
    10 years ago

I'm at just about the same point as your are in our build and I acting as general and I look at my home as I would a new car. Would you a accept a car with a cracked frame right off the lot? It's your new home, if a mistake was made it should be corrected, not patched.

• ibewye
    10 years ago

I'm at just about the same point as your are in our build and I acting as general look at my home as I would a new car. Would you a accept a car with a cracked frame right off the lot? It's your new home, if a mistake was made it should be corrected, not patched.

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The city inspector says" minimal standard req met" so it is fine with them. Any advice what to do next? We spoke with the field manager again and they will not poor in a new concrete wall but use epoxy and we asked to talk to his manager.He said he has to talk with him first and he will get back to us with his phone#. They have 10 years structural and 5 years leak warranty but we don't want cracked brand new house.

This post was edited by adymax on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:34

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Get an independent Structural Engineer involved and have him make a complete report.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Get an independent Structural Engineer involved and have him make a complete report.

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are in Chicago area, any idea where to look for one?

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by adymax on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 13:04

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Google or the yellow pages would be where I would start.

• adymax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got tin contact with few. $750-$1500 for inspection and report.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Cheap piece of mind in the overall cost of the home to maker certain your foundation is stable