Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

Dummy or Passage for Coat and Linen Closets

nepool
9 years ago

Hi,
Believe it or not, opinions on this are hard to find on the internet! I'm GC'ing my own build, and have not yet ordered interior doors. I do see some good open box deals on door hardware, so I was going to order that, but can't figure out what the best knobs will be for the small closets- like the coat closets and linen closets. I know that 'dummy' knobs work will with a ball catch and can be pushed open from the inside, but will that limit me on door choices that don't have the hole in the door ready for a real passage knob? If pricing was equal, is the passage door better on for a linen closet or is the dummy with ball catch better? The closets in question are reach in (24" deep) - 4ft wide.

What did you do? My current house has lots of bypass and accordion doors so I don't have an examples to look at.

Comments (10)

• worthy
    9 years ago

I only use dummy knobs on all but walk-in closets. Magnetic catches also work and are quieter than ball catches. But don't go cheap on the magnetic ones, otherwise the magnets will actually pull apart the rest of the catch. Doors without pre-drilling are much cheaper than pre-drilled ones. I picked up a bunch at HD on sale for $19 each last year. Now I need a house to put them in!

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Our closets, that are not accordion, will have ball catches. The cost was less for that than by-pass which surprised me. We will use dummies on all ball catch doors which all the closets are but one. I had to choose door type pretty early as the framing was different for bypass vs. ball catch.

I tried to search dummy options online regarding French doors and couldn't get a consensus. I take that to mean as many people do one option vs. the other. Good luck!

• worthy
    9 years ago

If kids will use the closets, I vote passage instead of simple dummy and ball catch...

Why?

Also, I should note that if you use dummy handles, get those where the baseplate screws in from two holes or the handle revolves separate from the baseplate. Some dummies have a single screw. Since people turn handles form force of habit, the single screw type end up loose or off.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I thought I said why.
    It doesn't take much for something to get in the way and push the door open of a ball catch closet with just a dummy handle.

a true knobbed handle that you have to turn to open is easy to push closed and have stay closed.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

To prevent warping a wood door should be latched at the middle of the stile.

I don't like to do it but as a practical matter it is often necessary to use dummy knobs and friction catches on double closet and pantry doors.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Yours may not be this way. But I make the closet door the same size as all of the interior doors, using passage locks.

Because, even with the different swings, they are interchangeable.

Budgeting for contingency.

• nepool
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good ideas with the contingency plan. Sounds like, if I'm getting a good deal on passage, its my safest bet.

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

I prefer dummy and ball catch, that being said, when they were first installed, I didn't like them. They seemed loose and sloppy until my husband made adjustments to the strike plate and ball assemby. Now they confidently click in place and I love them. I can pinky pull them open with my arms full and don't have to turn the know. For what it is worth, we have egg shaped hardware.

• nepool
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The great deal I thought I was getting was not such a good deal because Lamps Plus Open box was adding $10 per set of knobs for shipping and handling -at checkout. No wonder it seemed like such a great deal. I assumed shipping was free for all open box items -not so! Glad I noticed it before ordering!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz