Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bave_gw

Suggestions for granite that looks similar to Carrera marble?

BAVE
11 years ago

We're looking for a granite alternative to carrera white marble. This will be used in the kitchen (islands and counters)and we're concerned about acid staining, etc. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Quartzite is the only thing I can think of.

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

Same as GA...
    White Macaubus Quartzite or Calacutta Macaubus Quartzite.

I have researched this for hours (possibly days or weeks!).

NaRo on here put in tthe most beautiful quartzite. IMHO it is prettier than the marble.

A local stone person I talked to said the names are interchangeable. She said this is becoming a very popular kitchen stone. I hope the prices don't reflect this when it is time to buy for us!

Here is a link that might be useful: Calacutta Macaubus Quartzite

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perfect thank you very much!

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

We're getting "white fantasy". It's sold as granite in our area, but I've read here that it's really a quartzite. I'm very nervous now because just last week a woman (beekeeperswife) posted about her white fantasy counters etching. There is a thread about covering marble with Saran wrap if you're interested in reading it. White fantasy (aka super white or Vermont white) is absolutely NOT marble but the whiter granites are more prone to staining and etching than the darker granites. Our granite was super expensive, and I'm hoping that if my counters etch my personality will be okay with it. I think I'm ok, but I'm definitely nervous.

Here are my slabs. :)

Perimeter counters

Island and small piece of perimeter

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

I would definitely read that post over in kitchens. She (beekeeperswife) wanted marble but went with the Super White quartzite because she really wanted to avoid etching and staining. Now, she's finding that it is etching like crazy :-(

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

I would definitely read that post over in kitchens. She (beekeeperswife) wanted marble but went with the Super White quartzite because she really wanted to avoid etching and staining. Now, she's finding that it is etching like crazy :-(

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Have you considered Silestone's "Lyra" pattern? Silestone is more acid and heat resistant than granite and, to me, the Lyra Silestone looks more like Carrera marble than any granite. Here are pictures from Silestone's website

I have Silestone (in a different pattern) in my kitchen and love how easy it is to care for. This past weekend as we were packing up to head out the door, DH decided to make a jug of lemonade to take with us on our camping trip. He left the "residue" sitting in the corner of my butler's pantry and, in the hustle and bustle to get out of the house, I didn't notice it. When we got back yesterday afternoon, I saw the half-lemons still laying on the counter and my heart sank. I figured my Silestone was etched for sure. But NOT A MARK! You might want to take a look anyway.